News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 tail strip

Started by drifter69, January 24, 2011, 10:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drifter69

I need help with a 69 tail stripe, the paint shop painted my tail sripe on and it looks wrong to me. I don't have a picture but let me describe what it looks like and tell me if they need to repaint. the stripe runs up the quarters to the deck lid, at the deck lid the strip makes a direction change to the point in the deck lid. I tried to find a good pic on here but I can't find a clear pic that shows the the stripe from above. Is this how it is supose to be, or does the stripe stay uniform with no bends as it goes over the deck lid. a good pic of a 69 R/T srtipe would be helpful. The body shop got pissed when I said it looked wrong. And they used a Year One vinyl stipe as a pattern. I need to give them a pic tomorrow. HELP!!!!!

Troy

There should be a point - but make sure it's pointing toward the rear to match the deck lid! Sometimes they get put on pointing forwards which is all wrong (and weird looking).

Here's an excellent reference thread by bill440rt:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,29293.0.html

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

drifter69

Thanks Troy, I did not realize that they had it screwed up until they set the deck lid on and my hart just sunk. I looked at the thread you pointed out and sure enough.......my stripe is on wrong. I know they are going to make it right but I am worried that there will be a noticeable fix in the paint from such mistake. They will have to mix the color again. Man I am bummed.

1969chargerrtse

I don't get it?  The way you describe it sounds right to me.  It should make a directional change to the point in the deck lid.  If they used a decal to follow it has a bend/point that either faces the rear or forward towards the glass.  It should face the rear or point/bend of the trunk.  Me confused. :P
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Troy

From the sound of the initial post it's right:
at the deck lid the strip makes a direction change to the point in the deck lid.

This would be incorrect (but not what they did apparently):
or does the stripe stay uniform with no bends as it goes over the deck lid

The absolute worst thing is if the point is pointing forward and not following the back of the deck lid.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

drifter69

The way it is on you car is also kinda like mine except, The bend at the trunk lid is more drastic. The stripe on the quarter was placed more straight up and down and does not lean back a little so it looks like a big V in the deck lid. I have looked at diffrent cars and they seem to be a little diffrent from car to car.  The thread Troy sent me even looks a little diffrent than yours. The stripe looks like it makes a direction change from the quarter rather than the deck lid. Or am I just seeing things.

Back N Black

The stripe is pretty much straight up and down.

drifter69

I wish I had a pic. So I found out a little more about what they did. They made a stencil of the stripe and laid the stripe on the car about 1 1/2" to far forward and ran the stripe on the quarters straight up and down, and I mean with the planet. They then cut out the R/T and twisted it so it lined up with the center body line :brickwall:, this made the deck lid stripe make a drastic change in direction from the edges of the deck lid. He says he could not keep the R/T straight with the body line unless he did this :brickwall:. I went to the shop and in five minuets had laid the stripe out in the right location. I believe that once the stripe goes over the top of the quarter... at that point is where the stripe heads torward the center of the deck lid. Everyone here is right, I just did not know that they made a stencile and turned the R/T. I told him the original stripe is right and not to FW it. We should be straight now but they have to sand off the old stripe and and repaint. Thank god it has a vinyl top and he is going to make it right, but I am not happy about it, they will have to mix the color again.

66FBCharger

Why did you have the stripe painted instead of just using the tape stripe?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

drifter69

Just wanted it painted in, I like the look better and when waxing you don't get buildup on the edges.

66FBCharger

'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: drifter69 on February 01, 2011, 12:29:35 PM
Just wanted it painted in, I like the look better and when waxing you don't get buildup on the edges.

You're using the wrong polish then!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T