News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help finding alternator bracket kit for 68 Charger RT with A/C???

Started by Chargermoneypit, January 30, 2011, 06:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargermoneypit

I need help find an alternator bracket kit for a 68 Charger RT that I am doing a full resto on and am planning on putting the once missing A/C back into it. The car did not come with the correct engine or A/C and the idiot that did the engine rebuild for me lost an entire box of the brackets, spacers, nuts and bolts and much much more for much of the engine outfitting. I now have to purchase all of these items new. Fortunately, I can find most of what I am needing, but cannot seem to find the correct alternator bracket kit for this application. I see them for NON A/C cars, but not what I need. Can someone please help or tell me where I might buy what I need. This will at least get me over one hurdle for now...

Just 6T9 CHGR

looking at the Bouchillion kits they are pretty close.....the lower bracket is a one piece unit originally.......I had to buy mine used off eBay

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

694spdRT

Did the brackets change with the later C Body big block A/C cars?
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Rolling_Thunder

Chris - do you know if the B and RB lower alt brackets interchange ?  I think I have one off a 383 kicking around my shed.   :shruggy:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on January 31, 2011, 08:45:01 PM
Chris - do you know if the B and RB lower alt brackets interchange ?  I think I have one off a 383 kicking around my shed.   :shruggy:

Yes the alternator brackets are the same....the set I got was off a 383 car.

The A/C compressor brackets are different from 383-440
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mikepmcs

I might have an oem bracket. my car was an original ac car and i had to get new stuff for no ac.  i have a bunch of stuff in a pile from different attempts to make it work.
can someone throw a picture up of exactly what it looks like and i'll compare.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mikepmcs

Thanks Chris.  I will check when I get home from work.  Hopefully that won't be too long today cause we're about to get pounded.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

gtx6970

ALL, the alternator AND A/C compressor mounting stuff is different for 1968 versus 1969

Chris's stuff pictured above is all 1969 .

1968 uses a heavy cast iron bracket to mount the alternator that bolts to the end of the pass side head and a bracket to adjust said alternator from above.This upper alternator adjuster bracket is avail repop.

Where as 1969 it adjusts from below like on non a/c cars.

As mentioned 383 and 440 each share there own compressor mounting brackets and they are 1967-1968 only

I might be able to help you on some of the 68 stuff . I was just rumaging thru boxes and boxes of a/c parts this past weekend looking for 69 stuff and found a whole bunch of the 68 style pieces

gtx6970

This is what the upper alternator adjuster bracket looks like for a 1967 and 1968

mikepmcs

gtx6970

Here is an underhood shot of a 1968 with air,,,,, Beware it may not be dial up friendly due to it's size .but it gives you a good idea of the differences

http://home.fuse.net/billstoys/1968-AC.jpg

Here is 1969 with A/C
http://home.fuse.net/billstoys/1969-AC.jpg

Just 6T9 CHGR

You are correct Bill...the Hoffman Coronet R/T was a wealth of info for my re-addition for my A/C set up

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

GreenMachine

I have a bracket from a '66 Polara 383 with A/C. The cast bracket is P/N 2129154. Both are powdercoated S/G black. I don't remember if there was anything else required to make it complete. Let me know if this is what you need.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.