News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

AMD Bumpers:

Started by Captain D, January 28, 2011, 02:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi all,

I just wanted to see if I could get some feedback on those who have purchased Auto Metal Direct reproduction bumpers.

To some that I've talked to in the past said that AMD is the way to go hands down if you can't afford to get your originals re-chromed (or have nothing at all to work with). While others have said that repro bumpers, even AMD quality, aren't that great in that they have defects and are just something to put there to hang as bumpers.  :scratchchin:  ::)

I went on the AMD website and noticed that their prices are a lot higher than those who sell AMD bumpers on ebay. If I did purchase from ebay (being cheaper than buying from AMD directly), the quality should be exactly the same. But, to those here who did purchase AMD bumpers, either from ebay or from AMD directly, what did you find wrong with them?

For my Charger specifically, I'm putting together a high end driver quality. Even though I'm not going to have judges go over my entire car with a microscope, I would still like for it to look really good if I'm going to lay out approximately $600 for new bumpers all round.' Some ebay auctions that sell AMD bumpers don't mention that there may be small defects while there are others out there who appear to be more honest and mention it to potential buyers. I suppose what I'm getting at here is - What is your experience with AMD bumpers? Any pics of your AMD bumpers?

Thank you for any replies,
Aaron

twodko

Hey Aaron,

I can't offer any insight with regard to AMD's bumpers but I can tell you that all of their products will be pricier buying directly from AMD. Personally I wouldn't buy squat for RapeBay. I had to replace the hood on my 69. I looked at AMD's website and there is a link to AMD product dealers. I found one near me and the price was much better. Just FYI.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Mike DC

I have yet to hear anyone say good things about the repro 2nd-gen bumpers, particularly the rear ones. 

The common feedback is to run a repro if you want it to look shiny and not worry about it too much.  Rechrome the original if you care very much about the quality of the chrome's straightness & finish.

Captain D

Thanks gents for the replies,

Basically, from what I've gathered here, and looking through old threads as well, is that the reproduction bumpers (even AMD) is that yes, they would be great just for a garage kept/ high-end driver quality car as in my case - but apparently not for show quality cars due to not being 100% straight and having minor imperfections...Is that correct? But, what type of aesthetic 'imperfections' are we talking about though? Ex: scratches, small pitted marks, etc.

Thank you again,
Aaron

jaak

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 28, 2011, 03:45:44 PM

I have yet to hear anyone say good things about the repro 2nd-gen bumpers, particularly the rear ones. 

The common feedback is to run a repro if you want it to look shiny and not worry about it too much.  Rechrome the original if you care very much about the quality of the chrome's straightness & finish.

I thought that was the Goodmark bumpers, that folks had complaints about. I have heard the AMD's are nicer.....should find out myself pretty soon :-)

Jason

Just 6T9 CHGR

:popcrn:  Im curious too as I might wind up replacing my front bumper soon
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Are  the AMD bumpers REALLY any different than the current repro offerings from Goodmark, etc? Aren't they all from the same manufacturer, just distributed by AMD, Goodmark, etc?

I have the Goodmark ones on my '69. Contrary to what is stated here, my rear bumper is BETTER quality than the front. I had no problems with fit for either the front or rear. The front seems to have more waves & grinder marks than the rear. The rear is actually pretty nice.
But, at less than $500 for the pair (what I paid), I thought they were a bargain compared to what the cost of rechroming would be. I'm referring to show-quality chrome, not quickie driver chrome.

:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Patronus

I bought some AMD blems for $175
The rear was real nice, front..eh  :shruggy: I think I will shorten em and pin the bolts.

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

drifter69

I bought AMD front and back but I have not installed them yet. I will let you know soon as I get them on the car.

Back N Black

Quote from: bill440rt on January 30, 2011, 08:11:26 PM
Are  the AMD bumpers REALLY any different than the current repro offerings from Goodmark, etc? Aren't they all from the same manufacturer, just distributed by AMD, Goodmark, etc?

I have the Goodmark ones on my '69. Contrary to what is stated here, my rear bumper is BETTER quality than the front. I had no problems with fit for either the front or rear. The front seems to have more waves & grinder marks than the rear. The rear is actually pretty nice.
But, at less than $500 for the pair (what I paid), I thought they were a bargain compared to what the cost of rechroming would be. I'm referring to show-quality chrome, not quickie driver chrome.

+1
i have repro Goodmarks, front and rear and no issues with the fit and finish.

Charger-Bodie

The Amd rear that I recieved was wavey. It actually got test fitted on my car and the went right to getting rechromed.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

elitecustombody

Quote from: bill440rt on January 30, 2011, 08:11:26 PM

Please don't spread misinformation .If you had Goodmark part and AMD part side by side,you would clearly see that they do not come from same manufacturer .

OP, keep in mind, a while back AMD had blems ,that's why you see a huge price difference.Also if you buy from AMD dealer, usually you can get pretty good discount. Send me a PM,I'll get you a a quote :2thumbs:

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

SRT-68

I have the AMD bumpers. When we set them side by side with the factory ones I took off the car there was no difference I could see. For the price I was quoted to fix and rechrome mine($1700) the AMD set was a no brainer. I am not a restorer, and the purpose of my car was to be a daily driver so you might want to call a few resto shops if you are doing a 100 point car. :Twocents:

drifter69

Pulled my AMD bumpers out last night and compared them to my factory ones and they look great. The onlt complaint I have is one of the staples they put in the box rubbed the bottom corner durring shiping but it is only noticeable if you really look.