News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 fender tag question?

Started by rare69, January 02, 2006, 02:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rare69

fender tag on my 69 charger has the color code Y2 twice in a row was wondering what that meant.

69charger2002

very yellow??
sorry i couldn't help it. by the way did you send the money for the hood(not to hijack the thread)
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

rare69

YEP, it should be arriving any day.

Doc74

hemigeno

Quote from: dads_69 on January 02, 2006, 03:49:33 AM
Just found the info. If tag says Y2 Y2 then its an all yellow car with no vinyl top from factory.
Mark

:iagree:

Roof Color / Body Color

hergfest

That isn't entirely true.  You will see some 1969 Model Year cars with vinyl tops and two paint codes.  Sometime in the 69 model year they stopped painting the top on a vinyl roof car, and after that you only got one paint code with a vinyl top. 

hemigeno

Quote from: hergfest on January 02, 2006, 02:13:44 PM
That isn't entirely true.   You will see some 1969 Model Year cars with vinyl tops and two paint codes.   Sometime in the 69 model year they stopped painting the top on a vinyl roof car, and after that you only got one paint code with a vinyl top.  

I just looked through a few tags I had saved pics of, and sure enough, the vinyl top cars all had two paint codes.  I had some tags from early (October '68) and late (May '69) build dates too, and they all had V-Tops and two exterior paint color codes.

However, I have talked with two guys that worked at the St. Louis Assembly Plant back then.  They had commented on the fact that Chrysler was too cheap to paint the tops of the roofs on vinyl roof cars.  Their recollections may have been of after that "change" was made, or it could be that other assembly plants were different, I don't know.  I do know a lot of Vinyl Roof cars I've seen have some nasty looking metal underneath.

Technically the only way to say for certain that this was a non-vinyl roof car is to verify that there is no V1_ code on the tag or broadcast sheet.  You won't go wrong that way.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I would have to agree.  I have a lot of tags with vinyl tops and 2 color codes.

I still havent figured out a correlation yet though.  It seems like its only the St. Louis built cars though......
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

rare69

well here you go. i don't have the build sheet but do have the fender tag, the tag doesn't have any vinyl top code on it but the car has the holes for vinyl top trim?

rare69

oh ya, it is a st.louis built car.

ChargerHound69

Could it have had a vinyl top put on at the dealership??   That would explain no code.   Does it have a vinyl top now??

rare69

no vinyl top on the car now but the old owner had the car repainted and i dont know if he had the vinyl top removed when he did the repaint.

ChargerHound69

Do you have any old pictures of the car??  Do you know how to get in touch with the original owner??

rare69

don't have any pics of car as original and previous owner isn't much help either he owned car for 16 years.and doesn't have any pics either.

694spdRT

Look for evidence of the vinyl top trim holes from inside the trunk along the quarter panel. If they were welded or filled you should be able to see it.

My '69 has a vinyl top and was built the last week of production in St. Louis. The fender tag has two paint codes and when I pulled the original top all I found was primer with paint overspray up to about the quarter to roof panel seam.   
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

69_500

Did any of the vinyl top cars get painted under the vinyl other than the sunroof cars? I know they got a finished roof before the vinyl top was installed but weren't the others just painted up the C pillars and the actual roofs left bare?

rare69

the car has holes for the vinyl top trim but the fender tag doesn't say it had a vinyl top, just trying to figure out if any cars left the factory with a vinyl top without a vinyl top code on the fender tag.would like the car done the way it left the factory.

hemigeno

Quote from: rare69 on January 03, 2006, 08:54:43 AM
the car has holes for the vinyl top trim but the fender tag doesn't say it had a vinyl top, just trying to figure out if any cars left the factory with a vinyl top without a vinyl top code on the fender tag.would like the car done the way it left the factory.

One thing for certain with Mopars is that there is nothing for certain...

Vinyl tops were supposed to be coded on the fender tag, as well as the broadcast sheet.  If your car has had a repaint, only the Shadow knows what it left the factory looking like.  Chances are very high that if it does not have a V1_ code on the tag, it was not a V-top car from the factory.  You would have a hard time convincing anyone that it DID have a top without that code on the tag or broadcast sheet.

:Twocents:

694spdRT

Any chance the fender tag is a reproduction. ???
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

JimShine

A guy near me has a dealer added vinyl top blue 1969 Charger. Last I knew it was in original, but weathered condition. He bought it from the original owner who told him he went to buy a Charger. He liked this particular Charger on the lot, but wanted one with a vinyl top. The dealership told him they would instal a top if he bought the car, and thats what happened. The car now has most of the vinyl removed (it did the usual crack and peel by the 80's) and it is fully painted underneath with leaded seams. No vinyl top code on the tag.

rare69

well it looks like i have a very yellow car! thats cool i like the color. it will match my Danbury mint car perfectly. without the hemi of coarse. i thank all of you for your help.

rare69

I know the fender tag is original but i haven't seen a single picture of a R/T SE without a vinyl top? anybody got a picture of a R/T SE without a vinyl top.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: rare69 on January 04, 2006, 07:43:36 PM
I know the fender tag is original but i haven't seen a single picture of a R/T SE without a vinyl top? anybody got a picture of a R/T SE without a vinyl top.

Heres a T7 bronze RT/SE not coded for a vinyl roof
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

rare69

WOW! thanks for the picture. thats my car only bronze not yellow.

Khyron

o.k. my 69 has only one paint code. Does this mean she's rusting under that vinyl? :cry:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

rare69

any more R/T SE without vinyl top pics out there.

MoparMotel

mine before paint.........but it originally had a tan top
1968 Dodge Charger

hemigeno

Quote from: Khyron on January 04, 2006, 08:54:50 PM
o.k. my 69 has only one paint code. Does this mean she's rusting under that vinyl? :cry:

Khyron, the best we can tell, whether you had one or two paint codes your car probably doesn't have paint underneath that vinyl top roof.  They spritzed some on the C-Pillar about half-way up, but the majority of the roof probably doesn't have any paint on it.

You can thank the beancounters at Chrysler for that, since they saved a few dollars (literally, just a few dollars) on every car by not paying for the paint material or the labor to spray the paint on that roof.

Shakey

Quote from: hemigeno on January 05, 2006, 10:50:43 AM
Quote from: Khyron on January 04, 2006, 08:54:50 PM

Khyron, the best we can tell, whether you had one or two paint codes your car probably doesn't have paint underneath that vinyl top roof.   They spritzed some on the C-Pillar about half-way up, but the majority of the roof probably doesn't have any paint on it.

You can thank the beancounters at Chrysler for that, since they saved a few dollars (literally, just a few dollars) on every car by not paying for the paint material or the labor to spray the paint on that roof.

Then they end up like this after sitting for 20 years.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

rare69

how about a sunfire yellow, stripe delete  no vinyl top  69 R/T pic? anybody got one for me.I'm going threw withdrawls and need to see pic's. please help!