News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gone to the Darkside

Started by NHCharger, January 29, 2011, 10:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

Some of you know I was looking for a 68 project for a Bullitt clone. I posted a thread the other week asking for opinions on a Charger I looked at in RI. After that I got two pm's from members who were selling their 68. One from a member in Concord, NH only one hour away. Checked it out last Sunday. After 2+ hours of going over the car we struck a deal. I blasted home, got the trailer, picked up the car and had it home in my shop before the wife knew I had a new project ;)

Story on the car. Someone started restoring it in 99, in 03 they died and the car sat until last year when Eric bought it. He was intending to do a Bullitt clone but with a young family he realized he would need to farm most of it out. Along with the car was all the receipts for the resto, over 9k, not including any labor.

The good: Car is mostly complete, missing some items that should be easy to p/u at Carlisle, was partial disassembled when I bought it. Has replacement quarters, one fender and door from a donor car from Steven's Performance in AL. Went all over the car with a magnet, surprised at how little filler is present, found 3 or 4 small spots where it's heavy. Could find no patches or bad spots in the frame. Under side had very little undercoating which is surprising for the northeast, so I was able to get a good look at it. New gas tank, new Legendary interior door panels and seats, new headliner. Some new exterior trim pieces, new front bumper and parking lights. The engine is now a 440, originally a 383-2bbl. Did a compression test on the engine, was near perfect. 8 3/4, 3.23SG, 727A.

The bad: There's enough small holes that I need to replace the floor pans, trunk floor is shot. Rear valence and both end caps need to be replaced. Wiring looks  :eek2: so I'll replace all the harnesses. Dash area needs attention. Lots of little things that will add up need attention.

Car has drum brakes. I'm considering swapping to disc.

I know some members told me I should be looking for a southern rot free car but I don't fly so that limits my choices. Plus I won't buy a car without looking at it in person.

I'm going to attempt to do all the work myself including the paint (maybe). I already talked to my bodyshop guy, he said he would guide me along.

Some pics before I start the dis-assembly process. Well I already started  :lol:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

more
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

last
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

charge-it

Nice Charger! I'm right up the road from you here in Maine. Here's my bullitt tribute, recreation, clone....

Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

Bob T

A good find , well done, looking forward to seeing this thread develop   :2thumbs:  .
Nice car too PepParts  :coolgleamA:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Highbanked Hauler

Looks like you got a quality car to start with there Brian and that's half the battle, like I'd have to tell you right. Are you going to do anything as far as the AC but I imagine  there must only be a few days a year where you need it right? :smilielol: :smilielol:   good deal!!!!
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

bakerhillpins

:cheers:

Glad you found what you were looking for. Good luck on the project. about 5 months to Carlisle... better get movin!  :D

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

7chargers

Congradulations looks like a great starting point, and you have the right set up in the North East (insulated garage) to do the work!

Charger_Fan

Looks like an excellent foundation to start with, way to go! :icon_smile_cool: I bet those shelves in your garage won't be looking that empty much longer.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

1969chargerrtse

Wow!!  Your garage is huge. :o  Nice project car.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

NHCharger

Like your 68 Charge-it. Where abouts in Maine you located? I need to look over a done 68 to see what I'm missing so I can get my list for Carlisle started.

Al, only time I need A/C is sitting in traffic at Carlisle.

Bryan, booked my room last week :2thumbs: I'm trailering down my 71 this year since I'll be hauling parts back. Did that once with my 72, ended up removing the back seat to slide the bumpers thru from trunk. was a fun 500 mile ride home.

Yes the garage is oversized. I'm a contractor and built it myself over the span of three years.

Troy/Chris. Now that I'm a member of the 2nd gen club will you show me the secret handshake :lol:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Troy

Looks nice! Hopefully it doesn't end up being too huge of a project.

There's no traffic at Carlisle if you're on my schedule. :P

I have a few 68 Charger parts...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

NHCharger

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

bakerhillpins

Quote from: NHCharger on January 30, 2011, 12:00:44 PM
Bryan, booked my room last week :2thumbs: I'm trailering down my 71 this year since I'll be hauling parts back. Did that once with my 72, ended up removing the back seat to slide the bumpers thru from trunk. was a fun 500 mile ride home.

I guess I should book my room since the boys have asked several times in the past few weeks if we were going again this year.  :2thumbs:

Let me know if you ever need an extra hand and I can make the trip over.  :yesnod:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

71ChallengeHer

twodko

Good for you bro. That car is gonna be a blast to restore! Keep us in the loop.  :2thumbs:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Khyron

Quote from: Troy on January 30, 2011, 12:12:55 PM

Troy

I hate you :nana:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

TeeWJay426

Looks like you did good, Brian! Fair price, and a good starting point. I'm having a serious case of garage envy right now, BTW.....
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

Highbanked Hauler

69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

six-tee-nine

Dark side?

Buying a 2nd gen is leaving the dark side ! :D

She looks nicer than you described..... good luck with it.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

hemigeno

or on my schedule either   ;)

Nice score, BTW!!

:cheers:

HOTROD

What the Hell-Dumass !

greenpigs

Quote from: Khyron on January 31, 2011, 12:00:30 AM

Troy

I see a 69 grill...so is that not worth much since it isn't correct for a 68? Or is it trading fair?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

472 R/T SE

I'm ashamed to say, your shop looks bigger than our house.  
Since it's so easy being a keyboard critic, where's the lift?

Looks like a fine starting point, especially if it was a sticky magnet car.  Crazy that it wasn't an undercoat car & it still has frame rails.

Congrats Mr. Supreme Commander...sir. :2thumbs:

Foreman72

Hey Brian!! I had some free time so i came to look for your thread...looks real good :2thumbs: :2thumbs: Cant wait to hear how the work goes...nice original color on that car...too bad your gonna cover that nice F8 green with black :nana: :nana:

Cant wait to see/hear more!
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Troy

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on January 31, 2011, 11:40:11 PM
You may be the first person to have noticed his title! :P

Quote from: greenpigs on January 31, 2011, 11:10:03 PM
Quote from: Khyron on January 31, 2011, 12:00:30 AM

Troy

I see a 69 grill...so is that not worth much since it isn't correct for a 68? Or is it trading fair?
You guys could also have some - just write me a check! :D Yes, some of those fit 69s as well - have to sacrifice some of the lesser models for the cream of the crop to survive. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TeeWJay426

Quote from: Troy on February 08, 2011, 04:57:56 PM
Quote from: 472 R/T SE on January 31, 2011, 11:40:11 PM
You may be the first person to have noticed his title! :P

No, I've noticed it before.... just never investigated it's origins or significance. Since you've pointed it out now, care to elaborate?
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

NHCharger

Quote from: TeeWJay426 on February 09, 2011, 07:57:22 AM
No, I've noticed it before.... just never investigated it's origins or significance. Since you've pointed it out now, care to elaborate?

A few years ago after the first DC.com meeting at Carlisle Troy had paid for the tent himself. I offered to help out with the cost but Troy is leery of having people contribute money since on the old board some members who contributed felt entitled to favors. I jokingly told Troy I'm not the type to ask for favors but the title "Supreme Commander" would sure look good next to my board name :rofl: The next day I had my new title. ;)
I've tried getting the wife to call me the Supreme Commander, but that ain't happening.

Eric, nice to see you checking in. I really appreciate your generous offer to babysit one of my 3rd gens. but I think I will pass. :lol:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Foreman72

Quote from: NHCharger on February 09, 2011, 10:02:19 AM
Quote from: TeeWJay426 on February 09, 2011, 07:57:22 AM

A few years ago after the first DC.com meeting at Carlisle Troy had paid for the tent himself. I offered to help out with the cost but Troy is leery of having people contribute money since on the old board some members who contributed felt entitled to favors. I jokingly told Troy I'm not the type to ask for favors but the title "Supreme Commander" would sure look good next to my board name :rofl: The next day I had my new title. ;)
I've tried getting the wife to call me the Supreme Commander, but that ain't happening.

Eric, nice to see you checking in. I really appreciate your generous offer to babysit one of my 3rd gens. but I think I will pass. :lol:

nice picture in your sig there... you were always a picture-less guy and now all of a sudden a 2nd gen changes everything about you  :icon_smile_angry:

:nana: :nana: :nana: kidding...cant wait to see it!  i'll be home in march!
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat