News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

speed bump hazzard

Started by chargd72, January 27, 2011, 02:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargd72

I recently installed some headers and an h-pipe and I have a wopping 5 inches of ground clearance.  Anyone have any issues or horror stories with this?  

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

charger2fast4u

I'm always dragging my header flange on the ground whenever I go over speed bumps dips in road steep hills that level out quick I have around the same clearance ad you with my headers and with 4 people in the car I get as low as 2" of ground clearance I'm afraid ill rip my engine out one of these times from catching

killer8man

Yep...recently put tti headers with x pipes on my '71. Haven't driven it much yet, but I've already scraped a few times. Right now I can't even get in and out of my garage without scraping. I'm hoping that once I get it all welded on that it will be better. Plan B is to hope that a new Hotchkis suspension and some bigger wheels and tires will help. Check back with me in a month or two if you're still having problems and I can let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

Adam

Cooter

Headers and a lowered car = smashed headers....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Charger_Fan

I've got a couple header tubes on my Hookers that are smashed to about 1/2 their original diameter. :( I was sorta hoping that TTI's would have better clearance, but it doesn't sound like it.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

GunMetal

I've got the same issue!  :brickwall: Hooker headers on a low deck 400, one tube crushed to less than half it's original size and two-sided triangular flanges. I was really hoping TTI's will cure that, seeing they are designed for the b-block specifically. I think I'll get them anyway and plan on fabbing up skid plates :shruggy:.

Non illegitimis carborundum

chargd72

Thanks for the feedback guys.  Looks like it's pretty common.  I'll see how long I can keep mine from getting crushed.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

doctor4766

I fitted extractors up to my first car which was way lower than standard and found the best way to avoid the speed bump damage was to approach them at a 45 degree angle whenever possible.
Gotta love a '69

Wicked72

If you go fast enough you can hop over them! :2thumbs: Stupid headers...
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Cooter

Do you guys reallize that running headers means you drive differently than before with manifolds? I've bene driving with BB 440's with headers for over 20 years and NEVER smashed a set...You have to anticipate bumps and pull into parking lots that have driveways that dip alot at an angle...

I expect you better watch installing a deep sump oil pan, or you'll be leaving a trail of oil too....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

greenpigs

The Headman ball & socket seem to give a little bit more clearance.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

68X426

Quote from: chargd72 on January 27, 2011, 02:11:53 PM
I have a wopping 5 inches of ground clearance.  

Put some air in your tires man. ;D

Actually, taller tires will help. But that could be a while before you need some, so you'll be throwing sparks till then. :eek2:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

bull

I know our noggins have been reprogrammed by a certain WB TV program but just to let you know, the word hazard really only has one Z. :D

68X426

Quote from: bull on February 15, 2011, 01:09:39 AM
I know our noggins have been reprogrammed by a certain WB TV program but just to let you know, the word hazard really only has one Z. :D

:smilielol:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Hemidog

I've got some nice grooves in my TTI header collector flanges!  ;)
But we have some stupid "bus speed bumps" over here (they don't want too much traffic on the road, so they put up bumps un the middle of the road that buses easily clear, but you have to be extremly careful with your car)

chargd72

Quote from: greenpigs on February 14, 2011, 09:41:28 PM
The Headman ball & socket seem to give a little bit more clearance.

These are the ones I have so I guess that's all the clearance I'll get.

Quote from: 68X426 on February 14, 2011, 10:55:15 PM
Quote from: chargd72 on January 27, 2011, 02:11:53 PM
I have a wopping 5 inches of ground clearance. 

Put some air in your tires man. ;D

Actually, taller tires will help. But that could be a while before you need some, so you'll be throwing sparks till then. :eek2:

Unfortunately, I'm cursed with 14" mags so my tires can't get much higher  :eek2:

Quote from: bull on February 15, 2011, 01:09:39 AM

:lol:

elacruze

Quote from: Cooter on February 14, 2011, 09:27:30 PM
Do you guys reallize that running headers means you drive differently than before with manifolds? I've bene driving with BB 440's with headers for over 20 years and NEVER smashed a set...You have to anticipate bumps and pull into parking lots that have driveways that dip alot at an angle...

I expect you better watch installing a deep sump oil pan, or you'll be leaving a trail of oil too....

x2.
It's all about knowing your machine and situational awareness.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

greenpigs

QuoteUnfortunately, I'm cursed with 14" mags so my tires can't get much higher 

Are you married to them?

Not sure what style rim your running but nearly everything in 14" can be found in 15", the cost could be justified to save replacing the headers\exhaust.
:Twocents:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

BSB67

Never scraped headers on the Charger.  Oh, wait, I don't have headers  ;D

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

chargd72

Quote from: greenpigs on February 15, 2011, 06:32:52 PM
QuoteUnfortunately, I'm cursed with 14" mags so my tires can't get much higher 

Are you married to them?

Not sure what style rim your running but nearly everything in 14" can be found in 15", the cost could be justified to save replacing the headers\exhaust.
:Twocents:

These are my absolute favorite style of rim.  I know they're in abundance in 15" but you do have to put some money into them.  Maybe later.  As for now there are too many other areas to drop some coin on to get this thing on the road.  And there aren't many speed bumps in my garage  ;D

Wicked72

Hmm maybe time to hit the drawing board on this header clearance issue  :scratchchin: Ideas a flowing...gotta get my new in asap!
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

64dartgt

One of the beauties of torsion bars is the ability to change your ride height easily.  Have you tried to gain a half inch or so that way?

Paul G

Open the door and hang your head under the car as you go over the bump. See what kind of clearence you have. Going over one wheel at a time may sometimes help. My headers dont rub at all but my dumps do. I agree with cranking up the T bars if you have to. 
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

chargd72

Do you guys mind elaborating on cranking up the torsion bars?  Not sure how to do that.

prothed

Quote from: Paul G on February 17, 2011, 10:24:39 PM
Open the door and hang your head under the car as you go over the bump. 
I'd love to see this...  :smilielol:  :eek2:

SPEED HUMPS, don't talk to me about speed humps.  Here in the UK they are installed by the local council.  Where I live in London they are on every road - every one.  I have about 5" clearance and the humps are supposed to be no more than 4" high, yeah right. I have to drive over them all at about 2mph to avoid scraping and that really pleases the rest of the traffic.  When I retire I'll be the old coot wandering round muttering with a spirit level and a ruler.
Sorry for the rant.  Have a good weekend all.