News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wait to restore or drive now?

Started by azfrench, June 27, 2011, 02:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29LA47V21

Consider driving, even years prior to cutting and down the committed financial and time monster.  I would never recommend selling to any real car guy, but if it ever had to be peddled it is way easier to sell driving cars.  I vote go play.

westcoastdodge

Quote from: azfrench on June 27, 2011, 02:23:39 PM
Im in a little bit of a dilema.  I bought my 68 Charger 2 weeks ago.  It needs to be restored but I really want to start driving it.  I can't afford to do the restoration now but I will be able to in about 6 months.  Should I start driving it or wait?  After seeing all of your nice rides here on this site, I really want to get it going.  ??????? :scratchchin:

Rick
as long as the steering is ok,brakes work and the frame rails are not hanging out of her i would say drive it,got any pics :2thumbs:
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

azfrench

Here are some pics of current condition.  Not much to look at right now but, I see some great potential.
1968 Charger

aussiemuscle

sounds like you're talking about no-sex-before-marriage (well, probably a good analogy anyway).

nvrbdn

i think there is a bit of work to get it driveable, time to start playing :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

mpdlawdog

I would give it a rattle can paint job like "terrible one" here on the site and get it running....looks like you have some stuff to get done before its back on the road but nothing a weekends worth of knuckle busting can take care of!  Good luck
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

XS29LA47V21

I would revise my opinion to add.  To that level off the road and scoping your photos, you may consider going all the way, because it is not likely that you will be driving cheaply even with rattle can with old parts and by the time you gather it up to be bullet proof you will spend a good amount towards a nice car.  So maybe the real question is, do you want to stay cheaper with the beater thing or go nice, budget is part of the question I think :think:?  I did the beater thing with one of my old cars about two years ago and although essentially restored driveline, wiring and components to make it bullet proof.. I likely spent 1/3 of a resto :shruggy:, but that's what I was wanting to do :yesnod:. and drive it as desired and worry less about it when playing.

gtx6970

Biggest mistake I ever made was take this part to restore it. I wish I left it alone and just drove it, might even still have it if I had.
Before I took it apart , I was avereging 2 or 3 thousand miles per year. Yet once restored, I barely put 500 miles on it in 3 years

sixty8charger

Thats what i don't want to happen.  Once I get this thing back together.. the only days it doesn't see the road is when I can't afford to fuel it!
Jayson

elanmars

good thing about driving it for a bit is you can find out quickly what you'll need mechanically unless you're a knowledgeable and can figure it all out by taking stuff apart.

my current car was bought as a driver, I use it as a daily driver but I've had to restore pretty much everything mechanically on the poor car. Currently down as the rear end, transmission, need major replacement/upgrades, also discovered the car had a bent flex plate on it and all kinds of other goodies...
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

azfrench

Well,  I think that the car looks a lot worse than it is.  I have most of the interior in my garage.  It actually drives  but I need to go throught the fuel system and put a fan on the motor.  We did drive it on and off the trailer when I brought it home.  I have the headlights and actuators but no grille.  So, it is kinda a toss for me.  I can spend come money on getting it ready or just dive right in.  I'm back to the thought of just diving in and restoring it.  We did my brother-in-law's challenger in 5 months.  That included metal work and paint.   It is not a show car but a very solid driver that looks great.  This is what I might do to this car.  I will go as nice as I can go but im not going to go overboard for show quality because I do want to drive it everyday.  Hmmmmmm.....

1968 Charger

mpdlawdog

In 5 months is will be winter and you can sit and look it at in the garage...I would get it safely running and driving...enjoy it for the summer and fall...then pull it apart this winter...you will have a nice one this spring!! :Twocents:
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-