News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973 Dodge Charger SE 318 C.I

Started by irish_in_ny, January 25, 2011, 07:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_in_ny

Hello everyone. I was just wondering, what kind of horsepower should I expect from a '73 with a 318 that has the cat converters taken off, no restrictor plate (not sure if it came with one in '73), and a with everything else fully stock (carb, etc)? Thank you for answers in advance.

NHCharger

Not much.
2 or 4bbl? Not that that would make much difference.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

irish_in_ny

It's 2 BBL. I know the power wouldn't be anything great, I like my car pretty stock usually.

red79

the way horsepower output of engines was measured changed between 1971 and 1972, ostensibly to prevent manufacturers from fudging the numbers either up (or down in the case of some NHRA entries)

the 2bbl 318 was optimistically rated at 230 HP gross in 1971, meaning on a dyno with headers and no accessories. in 1972, virtually the same engine was rated at 150 hp NET, still on a stand but with stock ignition timing, exhaust, accessories, etc.