News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 - 1969 Charger headlight vacuum harness hose kits

Started by gtx6970, January 24, 2011, 07:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: gtx6970 on February 15, 2011, 04:41:19 PM

Here an example.
I've looked into having the bracket that mounts to the pass side inner fender produced. The one for 1969 B-bodies only, with factory air only. and by all accounts it's just not cost effective to produce due to such a low demand. unless it could be retailed in the $50 - $60 range each, which I have serious doubts would sell

You mean like this one I made?

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,67069.0.html
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bull

This is a problem with anything reproduction. Once demand dies off it becomes very cost restrictive to do another production run . Most items need a production run of at least 250 pieces, sometimes less , usually more.
When items are so application specific it makes it even more unlikely.

I'm no businessman but it doesn't seem logical to me to run off 250 headlight vacuum harness hose kits at a time. Is that how this part was produced? Something like this could easily be made one at a time when ordered. I can see how certain metal parts might require a large production run but not these.

If people in the US would actually go out into their workshops and produce 10-20 of a certain kind of bracket, brace, whatever, instead of spending three months doing R&D and negotiating with four different foreign production companies to make 250 pieces of something they'll only sell 25 of, I think we'd be better off. I know a machinist who used to do that with made-to-order 33-34 Plymouth reproduction stainless grill inserts and it worked out great. Demand was low but he he kept the money at home and the buyers knew they were getting a quality, hand-made part produced in the USA.

gtx6970

Quote from: bull on February 15, 2011, 05:54:20 PM
I'm no businessman but it doesn't seem logical to me to run off 250 headlight vacuum harness hose kits at a time. Is that how this part was produced? Something like this could easily be made one at a time when ordered. I can see how certain metal parts might require a large production run but not these.

so you think its more cost effective to make a $200 part one at a time?
run the mold to do the switch connecter plug, run the mold to do the firewall grommet, set up the jig and hand assemble the hoses one set at a time

good luck with that

clanton

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

bull

Quote from: gtx6970 on February 15, 2011, 06:38:13 PM
so you think its more cost effective to make a $200 part one at a time?
run the mold to do the switch connecter plug, run the mold to do the firewall grommet, set up the jig and hand assemble the hoses one set at a time

good luck with that

Well, you don't have to create molds for every little plastic part and grommet. You've no doubt heard of the Dimension 3D printer, and plastic parts can be made on a CNC mill. Once the programming is done on either one of those machines a guy can run single parts off individually in minutes. For the amount of small parts that could be made on one of those machines (a machine that would cost about half the price of a 68 Charger headlight bezel mold) I would think it would be a good investment. That switch connector is not a complicated piece. A five-minute google search revealed that there are plenty of three-hole firewall grommets available. The point is, once a person is set up to make a low-demand part I think the benefits outweigh the costs compared to sending parts overseas for mass production. Too many people are locked into this mass production mentality which works quite well for Fisher Price but not so well to meet a dwindling demand for old muscle car parts.

six-tee-nine

Quote from: six-tee-nine on February 15, 2011, 06:42:59 AM
Maybe we should send a link of this topic to the BE&A guys...... :whistling:

I believe PG classic has done or used to do  a generik version of these. But even they are gone I believe.

This is a problem with anything reproduction. Once demand dies off it becomes very cost restrictive to do another production run . Most items need a production run of at least 250 pieces, sometimes less , usually more.
When items are so application specific it makes it even more unlikely.

Here an example.
I've looked into having the bracket that mounts to the pass side inner fender produced. The one for 1969 B-bodies only, with factory air only. and by all accounts it's just not cost effective to produce due to such a low demand. unless it could be retailed in the $50 - $60 range each, which I have serious doubts would sell

True, its a 68/69 Charger Daytona specific thing these vacuum hoses.....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

bull

FYI, Megaparts is still listing this part on their site. Not sure if they actually have stock, bought up what was left or are making their own but they do list it.

http://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=102%2DVHK3

stripedelete

Quote from: bull on April 06, 2011, 10:24:24 PM
FYI, Megaparts is still listing this part on their site. Not sure if they actually have stock, bought up what was left or are making their own but they do list it.

http://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=102%2DVHK3

Called them last week.  They have none.  They are almost certain no more will be produced.

bull

66FBCharger

I guess I got lucky. I bought one from mega parts when I first read this thread. I wanted to get a second one for a future project. I guess I waited too long!
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body