News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carb to air cleaner lid clearance

Started by ED69, January 24, 2011, 06:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ED69

How much clearance is recommended between the carb and aircleaner lid I have a 493cid motor in my 69 charger with an edelbrock RPM intake and a 850 vac secondary Holley. Between the choke horn and the air cleaner lid their is around 1/4 to 3/8" clearance. With the drop base on the air cleaner the set up I have gives me a little less then a 1" between the hood and air cleaner. Should I go to a HP style carb with out the choke horn or will this do. The other question is this motor has alot of vacuum 12" at idle and at WOT 8". Its a 10.3.1 motor Edelbrok RPM heads Comp cam XS282S 520-540 lift 242-250 duration at 050. any any help would be great thanks

red79

I use this whitepaper as a good rule of thumb for carb/air cleaner questions:

http://www.diamondbackengines.com/technical-white-papers/carb-tuning/

Basically, having only 1/4" between the lid and the top of the choke horn will create a major restriction that will hurt your engine's proper breathing. IIRC the minimum recommended is the diameter of the main venturis.

elacruze

Mine was a lot closer than that, and even with unrestrained stock engine mounts it never left any tracks. Mopar M1 single plane intake, Holley DP850 with Moroso 14" drop base air cleaner.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

BSB67

Quote from: ED69 on January 24, 2011, 06:15:50 PM
How much clearance is recommended between the carb and aircleaner lid I have a 493cid motor in my 69 charger with an edelbrock RPM intake and a 850 vac secondary Holley. Between the choke horn and the air cleaner lid their is around 1/4 to 3/8" clearance.

This is not enough IMO.  I would get an air cleaner element that is .5, maybe .75 taller, and a carb without the choke horn. :Twocents:

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

FLG

Just buy a k&n filtered top cover, problem solved.

ED69

I had bought a K&N filter top and that when i noticed the problem the filter top rested on top of the vents. the metal filter top had more of a dome and it cleared barely. Any suggestions on a differant intake that would be a little shorter than the edelbrock RPM ??

AirborneSilva

Quote from: FLG on January 24, 2011, 09:05:56 PM
Just buy a k&n filtered top cover, problem solved.

That's what I was thinking, that way it will "fall" directly into the carb and not have to make it's way in from the sides.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I was running a drop base air stock aircleaner as well for a while.....I changed the main body of my 750 to an HP mainbody to remove the choke air horn to get a little more flow
Chris' '69 Charger R/T