News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Exhaust Manifold Gasket Leak Burning Oil??

Started by Lizey, January 23, 2011, 04:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizey

on my '77 Charger (360 Magnum) when its running there is some smoke coming from the back of the passenger side manifold like oil is being poured on it and the car has burned about a quart of oil since i got it running. im clueless as to what this is being caused by. my friend said its probably the exhaust manifold gasket but im not sure...???
1977 Dodge Charger SE - Sold 4/18/15
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

terrible one

Valve cover gaskets are shot and are leaking oil, which is running down to your exhaust manifolds and burning up.

AirborneSilva

Quote from: terrible one on January 23, 2011, 05:11:50 PM
Valve cover gaskets are shot and are leaking oil, which is running down to your exhaust manifolds and burning up.

X2 - I'm not aware of any motor that the exhaust manifold gasket would have anything to do with an oil leak..... 

resq302

Only way you would be getting oil out the exhaust is if you are pressurizing your ventilation system causing blow by going out the exhaust valve and into the exhaust system.  But I do agree that the culprit is likely a bad valve cover gasket OR your rear intake manifold gasket leaking and running down the back of the block onto the exhaust manifold.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

68neverlate

I got the same thing going on... got a new set of valve cover gaskets (the thick rubberized ones that fel-pro make) and will be installing soon.   :2thumbs:

If its smoking after the manifolds heat up, then that's likely your problem as well.  If you decide to replace the gaskets, make sure you check that the valve covers are straight (flush) before you install the new gaskets or you'll have a problem with them sealing up as well.  Valve covers can get bent if they've been overtightened in the past (they pull down at the bolts holes)...