News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

AMD out of 68 Quarter Panels???

Started by jdiesel33, January 22, 2011, 02:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdiesel33

How does that happen? Just how may people are restoring/repairing 68 Chargers these days? I was told 4-6 weeks beore they get more!!!!
I finally found someone to do my body work and now no quarter panels. Go figure.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

Troy

Quote from: terrible one on January 22, 2011, 02:55:34 PM
Contact a distributor. I'll bet there are some that aren't out yet.
A lot of distributors drop ship their parts from AMD. Try Stephens Performance as I know they're one of the main distributors.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Iceyone

4-6 weeks doesn't sound so bad considering I've been waiting over two years for AMD to make some 70 Coronet quarters.
68 Charger
70 Super Bee
11 SRT8 Challenger
30 Chevy Universal

72SE

Has anyone ever dealt with or bought parts from Golden Star Classic Auto Parts? I talked to one of their dealers and they claimed that their sheetmetal comes from the same supplier that AMD gets theirs and prices seam pretty reasonable. goldenstarauto.com

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Iceyone on January 23, 2011, 08:12:00 PM
4-6 weeks doesn't sound so bad considering I've been waiting over two years for AMD to make some 70 Coronet quarters.

They keep telling me different things....I've heard everything from 'there isn't enough need for them' to 'we're working on them' ::) I'm also one of the ones hoping for full '70 quarters :yesnod:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Troy

Quote from: 72SE on January 23, 2011, 11:27:03 PM
Has anyone ever dealt with or bought parts from Golden Star Classic Auto Parts? I talked to one of their dealers and they claimed that their sheetmetal comes from the same supplier that AMD gets theirs and prices seam pretty reasonable. goldenstarauto.com
If that's their exact words then they are lying or stealing. AMD is *the* manufacturer so if someone is getting parts out of their plant then it's through the back door. Now, AMD has a lot of resellers so if they had compared themselves to Year One or any of the eBay sellers that would make sense. It looks to me like they are selling AMD parts (at least I see stuff that no one else is producing).

Troy

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Troy on January 24, 2011, 11:28:58 AM
If that's their exact words then they are lying or stealing. AMD is *the* manufacturer so if someone is getting parts out of their plant then it's through the back door. Now, AMD has a lot of resellers so if they had compared themselves to Year One or any of the eBay sellers that would make sense. It looks to me like they are selling AMD parts (at least I see stuff that no one else is producing).

Troy

Golden Star is NOT listed among the authorized AMD dealers.  http://autometaldirect.com/Dealer_Directory.aspx

If they are obtaining parts from the "same plant" then it looks like another case of Chinese offshift theft....    It's happened before.    1st shift is for the autorized production,   then they run another shift unauthorized without quality control.    Then the original company that paid for the mold setup, etc. eventually goes belly up.

Normally I'd just say hold on and wait for the next container ship to unload...  or call around to the authorized dealers.   

If this halfazz golden star is selling stuff for cheaper there's loads of walmart shoppers that'll just buy it regardless of quality anyway. 

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

jdiesel33

My man Dante DiCarlo came thru on this for me. He originally told me the same thing as the other folks that it would be 4-6 weeks. After we talked he went the extra mile and found a distributor somewhere that had one in stock and called me back. Pleasant surprise.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

Troy

Great! Dante has always been good to deal with.

Troy

bull

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on January 24, 2011, 12:16:39 PM
Golden Star is NOT listed among the authorized AMD dealers.  http://autometaldirect.com/Dealer_Directory.aspx

If they are obtaining parts from the "same plant" then it looks like another case of Chinese offshift theft....    It's happened before.    1st shift is for the autorized production,   then they run another shift unauthorized without quality control.    Then the original company that paid for the mold setup, etc. eventually goes belly up.

Funny how that works, isn't it? These companies send all their work to China to save on labor and increase their profit margin and end up getting back-doored and run out of business. Seems to me if they would keep the jobs here in the US there would be a lot mre accountability and these businesses would enjoy some longevity. But then I imagine they're not all that interested in longevity. It's probably more like 'get what you can while you can' and then cut bait.

72SE

Just curious. Goldenstar has been pretty big big with GM people and is licensed by GM to repro their metal so I figured they had to be pretty reputable.

ccr-host

Funny how stuff is always hard to get once its been on TV.  :smilielol:

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: 72SE on January 24, 2011, 05:51:28 PM

Just curious. Goldenstar has been pretty big big with GM people and is licensed by GM to repro their metal so I figured they had to be pretty reputable.

Just for the heck of it I emailed my contact at AMD - Mike Gray.   He responded that Golden Star is selling whatever brand that is sold by Goodmark.   They have nothing to do with AMD.     
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

oldgold69

i went to gold stars website. i cant see the prices says you have to be a member and send in 5000  and buy 10000 worth of parts in a year to be a member plus you have to have an auto repair business.  if you want to sell for amd its not that bad  can anyone explain this to me.  sounds  odd

72SE

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on January 24, 2011, 07:19:39 PM
Quote from: 72SE on January 24, 2011, 05:51:28 PM

Just for the heck of it I emailed my contact at AMD - Mike Gray.   He responded that Golden Star is selling whatever brand that is sold by Goodmark.   They have nothing to do with AMD.    

Had to ask. My x body shop misplaced my NOS quarters (long story)so $450 a side sounded like a great deal compared to what I paid for the NOS. :pullinghair:

200MPH

Quote from: bull on January 24, 2011, 02:00:13 PM
Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on January 24, 2011, 12:16:39 PM

Funny how that works, isn't it? These companies send all their work to China to save on labor and increase their profit margin and end up getting back-doored and run out of business. Seems to me if they would keep the jobs here in the US there would be a lot mre accountability and these businesses would enjoy some longevity. But then I imagine they're not all that interested in longevity. It's probably more like 'get what you can while you can' and then cut bait.

i fully agree with that Bull we have so much talent here and yet we let it go to waste!
Charger

68ChargerJMP

Try Classic Body Designs. Door skins were very nice.

harlandodge

Quote from: jdiesel33 on January 22, 2011, 02:49:54 PM
How does that happen? Just how may people are restoring/repairing 68 Chargers these days? I was told 4-6 weeks beore they get more!!!!
I finally found someone to do my body work and now no quarter panels. Go figure.
i know a guy in kingsport TN. that has left and right side 1/4 s skins from AMD , he no longer needs and wants to sell them , they are for 68 charger

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Iceyone on January 23, 2011, 08:12:00 PM

even better from never to be done roof skins for 71/74... or whichever part for 73/74 but front and rear valences
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

Damn! How I did come to this thread that old if it was on first page?

( nevermind, was posted in another recent thread and I clicked on it LOL )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html