News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need recommondation for new intake manifold for 505 ci Stroker Build!

Started by 1Bad70Charger, January 20, 2011, 01:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Bad70Charger

Its official, as we speak I am having a 505 ci 440 Stroker being built 10:5 to 10: 8 to 1 compression, with out of the box Eddy 84 cc new alum. heads.

Right now I have a Holley Street Dominator intake and Proform 750 carb that will be upgraded to Proform 850 Carb.
Car will be used mostly as a an asphalt burning torque monster and will see some limited action on the drag strip (just to try to get a high 10 second time slip).

Will be running aggressive Solid Flat Tappet cam, 3.91 gears and dynamic 9.5 street/strip converter that will flash up to around 4500, with 3 inch exhaust all the way back.

What is the best affordable intake manifold to upgrade to in order to squeeze out those extra 15 to 20 ponies?

I know what my engine builder recommends but would like to hear from the resident experts, Firefighter, Challenger 340, Cooter, and anyone else who has experience in this area.

Is it worth it to upgrade to an affordable intake manifold or is my Holley Street Dominator good enough to get the job done.

If you recommend something looking to keep in the $240 range and lower. What do you think:

1. Victor 383 or 440
2. Torquer 2

Let me know what you guys would do looking to get into the 10s in my 3780# 1969 Road Runner that will live on the street 99% percent of its life!

Thanks in advance!  :2thumbs:

48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

firefighter3931

With the Edelbrock heads using a std (non max wedge) port window i would use the Street Dominator. Years ago Mopar Muscle did a manifold shootout and the SD was the best performing single carb intake manifold (avg tq/hp) and made just one hp less than the Victor but better tq across the board. It'll easily support 600+HP and in this paticular test it made 636hp vs the Victor's 637hp  :2thumbs:

In your case i would run a 1in open spacer to allow for increased plenum volume for the stroker and let er rip  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

1Bad70Charger

Ron (and any other knowledgable persons)

I have a chance to trade my Proform 750 Carb for a Holley HP 1000 double pumper. As long as the car is jetted down a bit and dialed in by my engine builder you don't think this is too much carb. do you for a high performance 505 stroker?

Also, if I use the 1000 cfm Holley HP Carb is your advice still the same regarding my Holley Street Dominater Intake Manifold?

Thank you!  :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

BSB67

Ron's spot-on regarding the intake.  Might there be something better? - maybe, but you'll only know for sure by track testing different manifolds.  You can't beat the SD in the 600 hp area IMO.

For the carb, I think the 750 is too small, and the 1000 is to big.  The 1000 will be faster at the track, and if thoses were the only choices, I would go 1000.  You'll be giving up a little low end response.  I think that a 1.42 to 1.45" venturi main body would be the right balance.  I don't know if anyone offers this size off the self. :Twocents:

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: BSB67 on January 20, 2011, 07:55:04 PM
Ron's spot-on regarding the intake.  Might there be something better? - maybe, but you'll only know for sure by track testing different manifolds.  You can't beat the SD in the 600 hp area IMO.

For the carb, I think the 750 is too small, and the 1000 is to big.  The 1000 will be faster at the track, and if thoses were the only choices, I would go 1000.  You'll be giving up a little low end response.  I think that a 1.42 to 1.45" venturi main body would be the right balance.  I don't know if anyone offers this size off the self. :Twocents:

Thanks BSB87,

Always appreciate your informative and knowledgable insight!  :cheers:

As far as an off the shelf carb. I would think the Racing Proform 850 would be just about perfect?

Ron,

Look forward to your thoughts on the 1000 cfm Holley HP Carb.   

firefighter3931

I'm with BSB67 on the carb....the 1000 is a better choice vs the 750  :yesnod:

Personally, i don't think you will give up much throttle response because the intake port window and SD manifold are "smallish" for a 500in build. Port velocity will be high and that tends to mask a slightly oversized carb....in my experience. Also with 4500 stall and 3.91 gears you'll be right in the meat of the powerband whenever you nail the throttle.  :coolgleamA:

Honestly, with that much power you can never really use all of it on the street....all you end up doing is burning rubber.  :icon_smile_big: Most of the time you'll be cruising around just trying to stay below the radar  :patrol:

When you go to the track it will perform to maximum potential and certainly won't be undercarbed. FWIW the Holley 1000 doesn't flow 1000cfm.....more like 950 or so. The Proform 750 flows 830 so in reality there's a little over 100cfm difference.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

1Bad70Charger