News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pressure

Started by Grip64, January 16, 2011, 03:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grip64

Looking for some advice her please fella's.

Is it possible to rejuice cylinder cranking pressure by advancing or retarding my cam timming ????

Grip

BSB67

Retarding cam timing will reduce cylinder pressure and reduce piston to exhaust valve clearance.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Grip64

Thanks for the reply's fella's.

I'm trying to get more timing into the motor, ( 28 total with iron heads 10 to 1 comp and 98 gas)before detenation set's in  :shruggy:

Cranking pressure is 180 with the cam insalled stright up !!!!!

Any idea how much pressure could be bled off with retarding the cam ???

Grip

elacruze

There's no way to answer that accurately. It depends on the intake lobe closing rate, and whether hydraulic or solid.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

Grip64

Its a solid, here's the valve timing from the card...

open @50 int 13 BTDC exh 63 BBDC   
Close @50 int 53 ABDC exh 7 ATDC.

Grip

elacruze

I'm sure there are a couple guys in the forum who can answer with direct experience, but my WAG is that if you retard 4* you'll lose 5-10psi.
The only way to know for sure is to do it and measure.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

John_Kunkel

Retarding the cam keeps the exhaust valve open longer during the compression stroke so some of the compression pressure goes out the exhaust valve.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

BSB67

John, I think you ment the intake valve.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

firefighter3931

Quote from: Grip64 on January 17, 2011, 03:15:14 PM
Thanks for the reply's fella's.

I'm trying to get more timing into the motor, ( 28 total with iron heads 10 to 1 comp and 98 gas)before detenation set's in  :shruggy:

Cranking pressure is 180 with the cam insalled stright up !!!!!

Any idea how much pressure could be bled off with retarding the cam ???

Grip

180 psi is pushing it for iron heads. Retarding the cam isn't going to make an appreciable difference. What cam are you running that has such an early closing point ? Did you degree it in or just line up the dots ?

One option is to pull some static compression out of the motor with a thicker head gasket....or swap to a cam that bleeds off more cylinder pressure.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Cooter

OR, there's always 110 Octane....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"