News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My buddy loaded his cars' up for Barrett Jackson yesterday.

Started by 472 R/T SE, January 13, 2011, 12:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

472 R/T SE

My buddy started taking cars to BJ a few years ago.  He did some horse trading with another guy trading him a freshly rotisseried #'s matching '70 Hemi 'cuda 4 gear he just performed, for some cars' & $$.  That guy took the 'cuda to BJ & got $475k.  Tom decided to try his hand @ it.

He's done good about as many times as he's taken a bath, restoring these cars is his hobby.  I honestly don't think he cares whether he makes any money or not.  

For as long as I've known him we've never exchanged any $$ for parts.  He gives me parts & I give him parts. Right now I think I owe him.  I'd be hard pressed to find a friend better than him.

Last year he paid for premier time slots but ended up getting robbed.  So this year they go on Wednesday, lots 373, 430, 430.1.  The cars are a '73 Trans Am, '70 Coronet R/T (1HotDaytona restored this car), a '69 Super Bee (original 383, console 4 gear & air hood.  Currently has a '68 Hemi).

He just finished a rotisserie on another '70 Coronet R/T & whatever parts he got for it, if they were better would go on the BJ R/T.

bull

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 13, 2011, 06:19:30 AM
Nice stuff and Brian does great work.

I actually just did the paint and body on this one. My Dad did the rest.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Shakey

That would be a fun trip - how come you don't go with him Mike?

triple_green

Hi Mike,

Going to Barrett-Jackson is definately on my "bucket list". However who knows how long it will be until I get there.  

Tom is definately in the collector stratosphere that can go there and participate, not just watch like the rest of us "mere-mortals". Does he ever buy or just sell? I feel bad that he lost money last year. From the prices things were going for, it looked like most people probably lost money. We will see how prices are this year. Also it seems like so much of the premiun you used to get at the B-J auctions has been taken away but the "huge" buyers and sellers fees that they now charge....makes Ebay look like a bargain. But, maybe it is worth it to most people in order to breathe the "rarified air".

Thanks for sharing I enjoy living "vicariously".

Mark
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on January 13, 2011, 12:38:36 AM
He's done good about as many times as he's taken a bath, restoring these cars is his hobby.  I honestly don't think he cares whether he makes any money or not.  For as long as I've known him we've never exchanged any $$ for parts.  He gives me parts & I give him parts.  Right now I think I owe him.

Last year he paid for premier time slots but ended up getting robbed.  So this year they go on Wednesday, lots 373, 430, 430.1.  The cars are a '73 Trans Am, '70 Coronet R/T (1HotDaytona restored this car), a '69 Super Bee (original 383, console 4 gear & air hood.  Currently has a '68 Hemi).

Wow, he must have a lot of time on his hands if its a hobby and he gets through 3 cars in a year!  :yesnod:

What happened that he got robbed and does the buy-in for that time have no guarantee?

That blue 69 is sweet lookin  :drool5:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Shakey on January 13, 2011, 11:27:15 AM

That would be a fun trip - how come you don't go with him Mike?

He has asked me every year.  This year another one of our friends is going down & meeting up with him.

He went with me to Carlisle last year so maybe one of these years I go with him down there.  :shruggy:  It'd be tough though if there was a car there I couldn't live w/o.  ;)

tan top

:drool5:  look awesome  !!  :coolgleamA:   liking the bullnose  455sd ??
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

472 R/T SE

Quote from: bakerhillpins on January 13, 2011, 06:11:34 PM

Wow, he must have a lot of time on his hands if its a hobby and he gets through 3 cars in a year!  :yesnod:

What happened that he got robbed and does the buy-in for that time have no guarantee?

That blue 69 is sweet lookin  :drool5:

He's had the blue '69 & the red T/A for about 5 years or so now.  He usually is working on about 3-4 all at once.  His shop is like visiting a museum.  The little 180 degree chrome pieces on the scoops of the blue car were leftovers from my stash.

No guarantee on when the time slots go through.  I think he paid an early evening slot & it ended up being later on in the night.

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 13, 2011, 09:15:53 AM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 13, 2011, 06:19:30 AM
Nice stuff and Brian does great work.

I actually just did the paint and body on this one. My Dad did the rest.

I was surprised to see him sell the R/T so fast especially since he paid what I thought was strong money for it.  As I've said, Tom said this car had some of the best lines & gaps on any car he's ever had.

Quote from: bull on January 13, 2011, 01:23:48 AM
What's the longest Tom has ever kept a car?

It's funny, whenever he buys one he'll say he plans on keeping this one a while.   :smilielol:

I'd say the '71 Hemi 'cuda vert clone that I thought he took a bath on last year he'd had a long time.

Quote from: tan top on January 13, 2011, 06:23:35 PM
:drool5:  look awesome  !!  :coolgleamA:   liking the bullnose  455sd ??

Just the standard 455.  My buddy in high school has a car identical to this one he's kept all these years.  That car would flat get with the program.  I can't imagine what the HD & SD's were like.  :o

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: triple_green on January 13, 2011, 11:55:30 AM
Hi Mike,

Going to Barrett-Jackson is definately on my "bucket list". However who knows how long it will be until I get there. 

Tom is definately in the collector stratosphere that can go there and participate, not just watch like the rest of us "mere-mortals". Does he ever buy or just sell? I feel bad that he lost money last year. From the prices things were going for, it looked like most people probably lost money. We will see how prices are this year. Also it seems like so much of the premiun you used to get at the B-J auctions has been taken away but the "huge" buyers and sellers fees that they now charge....makes Ebay look like a bargain. But, maybe it is worth it to most people in order to breathe the "rarified air".

Mark

Going to B-J is definitely an experience...  I went last year to the Palm Beach, FL one with my father.  Lots of really nice cars BUT the TV cameras hide A LOT of flaws that these buku buck cars have.   Seeing them in person sheds a different light on the cars  :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

472 R/T SE

Quote from: triple_green on January 13, 2011, 11:55:30 AM
Hi Mike,

Mark

He bought the green '70 Coronet R/T last year that he's selling this year.  I think he's bid on other cars but it was the only car he bid & bought IIRC.

He's bought 2-3 other cars but they were Craig Jackson's.  I guess CJ has a showroom there of cars with set prices & no commissions for sale.

hemi68charger

Thanks for sharing Mike..
It'll be interesting to see what happens.................
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69bronzeT5

Hey Mike,
Do you happen to have any more pictures of the green '70 R/T? I LOVE that thing :drool5:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

triple_green

I watched for 45 min last night and...boy....the prices look like they are way down from the high point....

Admirality blue

i love that R/T too.  my grandpa in ft.lauderdale ordered a 70 4-door coronet 440 (383) in the same dk.green but had a gatorgrain roof, it had the blacked out rear tailights with red accents around the lenses, had red lined hubcaps.  as a little kid from michigan down in Florida every christmas used to just sit in the carport and stare at its rear end, cool looking.  loved the gatorgrain roof (it was black, i'd rub my hands along it) looked exactly like the skins of the alligators sunning along the bank of the canal only 30'away...  Loved the front end, mean looking, the black grille w/red accent trim & 440 emblem.  could the interior be black leather?, not sure, but it was plush with the customary black wrapped steering wheel & stickered compass mounted on the dash w/AAA sticker on the rear bumper...  my grandpa died in the fall of 1978 and my uncle inherited the car, but he did'nt need a car.  on christmas eve 78 my uncle slammed his Gold 73 SS Nova into a highway overpass center divider & nearly died... the following Feb(79) he flew down to FL- drove the Coronet back up, it was like a brand new car with less than 15,000miles.  in Nov.79 he crashed the Coronet into a telephone pole and the car was sent to the junkyard & crushed.  i have pictures of this car.                     

triple_green

My son and I watched B-J for a little while last night. Tom's green 70 Coronet R/T was just finishing as they came back from commercial, but it looked like it went for $38K.

Not bad. Other things seem to be selling cheaper than that.

3X

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: triple_green on January 20, 2011, 11:12:52 AM
My son and I watched B-J for a little while last night. Tom's green 70 Coronet R/T was just finishing as they came back from commercial, but it looked like it went for $38K.

3X

Pretty sure it sold for 50k last year.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

TUFCAT

472 R/T SE

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 20, 2011, 11:28:36 AM

3X

Last year $55k, this year $40k.   :o   He won't answer the phone.  I texted my other buddy after it sold & told him to make sure to pick up a bar of soap for him for the bath he took.   :smilielol:

He didn't pay much for the T/A but like all 3 cars he put a lot of $$ & time in them.  He's made money this year, just not a whole lot or what he's done in the past.

TUFCAT

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on January 20, 2011, 08:07:01 PM

3X

Last year $55k, this year $40k.   :o   He won't answer the phone.  I texted my other buddy after it sold & told him to make sure to pick up a bar of soap for him for the bath he took.   :smilielol:

He didn't pay much for the T/A but like all 3 cars he put a lot of $$ & time in them.  He's made money this year, just not a whole lot or what he's done in the past.

So, he bought the 70 R/T last year at BJ,to bring back this year to flip????

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

472 R/T SE

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on January 21, 2011, 02:06:22 PM
Quote from: 472 R/T SE on January 20, 2011, 08:07:01 PM

3X

So, he bought the 70 R/T last year at BJ,to bring back this year to flip????

I always thought if you planned on flipping a car @ initial purchase you would practically steal it or at least pay a fair price.  Tom didn't.  I thought he was buying it to keep since he paid top $$. 

Just guessing here, but I don't think he bought it with intentions of "flipping" it at the time?    :shruggy:

BigBlockSam

i thought muscle car prices were going up again. i guess not  :rotz:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img