News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any members in the Boise area that can help a brother out?

Started by bull, January 12, 2011, 06:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I need some help from someone I can trust in the Boise/Nampa/Caldwell area with a parts purchase. Some people are trying to jack me around and I'm tired of dealing with them. I just want the parts out of their hands and into mine and it's quickly turning into a big cluster you-know-what. We agreed to a price $25 less than what they were asking but now that I'm asking them to ship the parts they want the full price plus shipping, just for the hell of it I guess. I'd rather pay someone here $20 or so for the help instead.

All you'd have to do is look at the parts, buy them if they look good and take them to the UPS store to ship them for me. The parts are said to be new reproduction parts in the box so they should be pretty much perfect. If/when someone responds we'll deal with the rest through PMs.

bull

The70RT

Im not sure what your buying but the UPS store will probably charge more to pack with all their materials. If someone asked me to lower a price then thought they would pick it up but now want me pack and ship I would charge them to ship as well. If you can't trust their word on what the parts are in the first place I wouldn't strike a deal.....sorry been there done that  :-\
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PocketThunder

If they are new repro parts, how much are you saving vs buying the same part new from a vendor?  maybe its worth the hassle.  :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

bull

Quote from: The70RT on January 13, 2011, 11:08:07 AM
Im not sure what your buying but the UPS store will probably charge more to pack with all their materials. If someone asked me to lower a price then thought they would pick it up but now want me pack and ship I would charge them to ship as well. If you can't trust their word on what the parts are in the first place I wouldn't strike a deal.....sorry been there done that  :-\

The parts are in the boxes they came in already. All he did was open them, see that they were the wrong parts and set them aside. He got them for free because they were the wrong part so anything I give him between zero and maybe $30 shipping is free money in his pocket. So I don't think demanding $25 more than the agreed-to price to tape the boxes back up and drive 2 miles to the UPS store is warranted. They would have to drive 2 miles or more to meet someone anyway. Maybe I'm not much of a busnessman but if someone paid me $125 to tape a box shut and take it to the UPS Store, I'd be tickled.

Quote from: PocketThunder on January 13, 2011, 11:10:42 AM
If they are new repro parts, how much are you saving vs buying the same part new from a vendor?  maybe its worth the hassle.  :shruggy:

The most I could save is about $140, best case scenario. Worst case the least I could save is probably $90.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: bull on January 12, 2011, 06:46:15 PM
We agreed to a price $25 less than what they were asking but now that I'm asking them to ship the parts they want the full price plus shipping, just for the hell of it I guess.

What, were they selling these parts online and expecting the buyer to be next door? Sound's like a bait and switch to me. I guess I would just cut my losses and pay more...  :shruggy:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bull

Quote from: bakerhillpins on January 13, 2011, 05:56:36 PM
Quote from: bull on January 12, 2011, 06:46:15 PM
We agreed to a price $25 less than what they were asking but now that I'm asking them to ship the parts they want the full price plus shipping, just for the hell of it I guess.

What, were they selling these parts online and expecting the buyer to be next door? Sound's like a bait and switch to me. I guess I would just cut my losses and pay more...  :shruggy:

In his defense I was cruising craigslist about 430 miles out of my area. :icon_smile_cool: He wasn't advertising in Portland. But, it is the world wide web.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: bull on January 13, 2011, 06:34:29 PM
In his defense I was cruising craigslist about 430 miles out of my area. :icon_smile_cool: He wasn't advertising in Portland. But, it is the world wide web.

I think you are being overly nice. If you post online your posting it to a world wide audience and should expect such. :Twocents:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

moparsons

I disagree......when you post on your local craigslist, I think you could assume people shopping your area are close to your area or willing to do the extra work to get the item. This is why craigslist is broken up into areas.

Brass

Quote from: bakerhillpins on January 13, 2011, 07:23:09 PM
Quote from: bull on January 13, 2011, 06:34:29 PM

I think you are being overly nice. If you post online your posting it to a world wide audience and should expect such. :Twocents:

Be that as it may, the seller can still decide whether he/she wants to ship the item out of the area.  I sold an Avenger carb locally on Craigslist rather than Ebay specifically because I didn't want to hassle with shipping.  Someone made me an offer to send it out of state.  I said no, was patient instead, and got full price locally soonafter.

All of that is beside point in this case.  If they made a deal with arrangements to ship the items, they should stick to the agreement.

bull

I don't think they have a problem shipping the panels but they are being quirky about the price and payment. I thought I had solved everyone's problems when I mentioned COD via UPS but they haven't agreed to that. In fact they haven't even acknowledged the idea. It seems like a great plan to me but the wife wants me to send the money through PayPal, which isn't going to happen because I don't know these people from Adam.

Sorry to say but I think the main obstacle in this deal is the wife. She's got a bad case of the greedies and is trying to micromanage the transaction so that she comes out on top. I bet the husband won't see a dime of that money no matter how they get paid.

The70RT

When you go through paypal on ebay you don't know the person? Through my experience PayPal stands behind the buyer more than they do the seller, I wouldn't hesitate to send a payment as long as you work the price out.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bull

Quote from: The70RT on January 13, 2011, 10:28:39 PM
When you go through paypal on ebay you don't know the person? Through my experience PayPal stands behind the buyer more than they do the seller, I wouldn't hesitate to send a payment as long as you work the price out.

You're probably right. Fortunately I've never had a PayPal dispute so I don't know. But the thing is if they were to send it COD the parts would be right there in my hands and I could look at them to make sure they have not been damaged and are as advertised prior to me paying. And they would get their cash right away from UPS and if the parts were damaged they would get $300; everybody wins.

I've had a few problems buying parts through Ebay and have kept parts I would probably have shied away from had I seen them prior to buying. That's one of the problems with Ebay IMO. Sellers can omit certain small facts about cars and parts and get away with it because people would rather deal with the hassle of a problem part than a problem seller.

TruckDriver

Quote from: The70RT on January 13, 2011, 11:08:07 AM

He is right Curtis, just use regular postal service with priority shipping, and delivery confirmation. The later 2 things pretty much guaranty they will be handled better. A trick I learned from a few people I know that have worked for the postal service for many years.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P