News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best firewall insulation; Dynamat or Hushmat?

Started by elacruze, January 11, 2011, 08:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elacruze

I've forgot to obtain the insulation between the firewall and heater box. I intend to use dynamat underneath anyway, but what's the best source for the stock firewall padding/insulation?
<edit>
Who has used and experienced both Dynamat and Hushmat? Is there any significant difference in performance, price, or ease of installation?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

bull

elacruze

Quote from: bull on January 12, 2011, 12:33:37 AM
I'd check with mega parts usa.

They don't list one for '68 with A/C.  :shruggy: I'll call.

Dante's has them. Has anybody seen their quality? http://www.dantesparts.com/firewall.html
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

Detroit Muscle = good stuff/good price. :yesnod: The search is over.

charger2fast4u

:iagree:  I just got a a/c and a heater only rebuild kit from DMT yesterday in the mail good quality parts I to would like to know about the dynamat. I want to put some down on my floor and firewall in my 68 before I start reassembling the interior also anyone know how much roughly you will need to do the whole  floor and firewall?

elacruze

Quote from: charger2fast4u on January 12, 2011, 12:57:37 PM
:iagree:  I just got a a/c and a heater only rebuild kit from DMT yesterday in the mail good quality parts I to would like to know about the dynamat. I want to put some down on my floor and firewall in my 68 before I start reassembling the interior also anyone know how much roughly you will need to do the whole  floor and firewall?

I'm going to use some inside my doors and quarters, but not covering seam to seam. I figure the floor is about 6'x8', so double that to include the roof, firewall and doors, 6x16=96 square feet. I may put some in the trunklid too, so it doesn't vibrate with my Ghetto Boomer subwoofers (j/k) Seriously, if I have any extra that's where it will go.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

4aThrill

I just got done putting in fatmat in mine the other day took about 12 hours for the whole car, firewall, speaker tray, floor, doors, roof, and so on. I bought two rolls of fatmat only needed one but also depends how much you want to cover end to end or just 90% here is a pic   :cheers:

charger2fast4u

Quote from: 4aThrill on January 13, 2011, 04:23:22 AM
I just got done putting in fatmat in mine the other day took about 12 hours for the whole car, firewall, speaker tray, floor, doors, roof, and so on. I bought two rolls of fatmat only needed one but also depends how much you want to cover end to end or just 90% here is a pic   :cheers:

how thick is the insulation? and any idea on how much a roll weighs?

4aThrill

the thickness is 50 mil, weight say maybe 20 - 25 lbs, 100 sq ft for per box which has two rolls inside which was enough, I know I got mine on ebay, saved some cash on that plus free ship too.  :yesnod:

SRT-68

Lowes has a product called "Peel and Seal". It is a roll of 6" wide dynamat for a lot less money. There is also the "Quick roof" brand. I used peel and seal on my Charger with great success. Even on the inside of the roof under the headliner. Total cost to do the Charger was less than $70.

bull

Have you guys ever had trouble getting the back seat back in with this stuff on the floor? I remember trying to put the back lower seat in my old '70, without any insulation, and I was so frustrated I was about ready to kill someone.

gtx6970

After several suggestions from friends who used it.
I went with a fatmat product called rattle trap. it's the .080 think stuff as opposed to the .050 stuff. I've actually used both and prefer the heavier stuff . It'sa litle tougher to work with but I think it seals / sticks  better and it seems to be little better insulated  once installed

I have another car in the shop for similar treatment, but thats another announcement I make the 1st of the week  :popcrn:

so stay tuned and follow along

bill440rt

Edead 80!!!  :2thumbs:
Just6T9Charger will back me up on this. Thicker than Dynamat at a fraction of the price.

Bull, that back seat can be a PitA sometimes!! But the mat did not affect the install, it's sometimes the brackets on the floor or seat frame instead.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

elacruze

Hmm. Now I've researched myself into a tizzy.

Anybody have any idea how any of these products hold up over time?
I can see how the asphaltics do well, basically being flexible floor tile.
Urethane and foams, maybe not so much.

http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

FLG

Quote from: bill440rt on January 14, 2011, 11:06:30 PM
Edead 50!!!  :2thumbs:
Just6T9Charger will back me up on this. Thicker than Dynamat at a fraction of the price.

Bull, that back seat can be a PitA sometimes!! But the mat did not affect the install, it's sometimes the brackets on the floor or seat frame instead.

Isnt it edead 45? I know they also make Edead 80 (80 mils thick)

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=51

4aThrill

I cleaned the area first, before putting anything down prep work is always the key.  I've the car up on jacks about 10 onches high with two space heaters under the car so it would heat up the floor.  installed the Fat Mat with the roller and a heat gun just to make sure it won't come off later on.  oh ya its about 40 degrees in the garage before I turn on the heaters (55) so this stuff dose stay  haven't heard any problems about it yet    :cheers:

bill440rt

Quote from: FLG on January 15, 2011, 11:25:19 AM
Quote from: bill440rt on January 14, 2011, 11:06:30 PM
Edead 50!!!  :2thumbs:

Isnt it edead 45? I know they also make Edead 80 (80 mils thick)

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=51

YES!! eDead 80.
Thanks, just modified my post. I typed 5 instead of an 8.  :brickwall:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce