News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mancini factory replacement k frame?

Started by charger2fast4u, January 11, 2011, 12:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger2fast4u

has anyone bought one or seen one of these? http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/fareve.html i'm looking into buying one for my 68 i'm surprised i haven't heard of anyone talking about them. since there is usually talk about the magnumforce and alterktion one's this seems to be the best deal. looking for any thoughts opinions on them. i'd like to get a alterktion one but for the price i really don't see the bennifit of getting it for a few less pounds rack and pinion and choice of running any oil pan. money seems like it would be better spent on other parts.

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

69rtse4spd

It it the one that CAP sells. You can buy them direct also from Cap, that's what I did , got them from him at the Indy. swap meet in March 4th. Get them at the meet & save shipping, but depends where you are at. Have not put them in yet but they look very good & he is a super nice guy to work with. I got the upper & lower control arms, k-member, & the strut rods from him. Just now getting around to getting the rear end changed out then the front end will be next. His web site is www.capautoproducts.com.

charger2fast4u

thanks for the information where is this indy swap meet at? i'm in PA does he come to any swap meets at carlisle? i always go to mopar nationals at carlisle every year i could get it there this year if he does. anyone else with any info or first hand experience with them would be great

maxwellwedge

The link for his site has a "Show Schedule".  He is even coming to "New Humberg"!   :lol:

Brads70

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 11, 2011, 08:28:13 PM
The link for his site has a "Show Schedule".  He is even coming to "New Humberg"!   :lol:

AKA "Moparfest"
http://www.moparfest.com/

Mike DC

Isn't it basically a stock replacement item? 

I wonder what the fabricated K-frame and UCAs & LCAs save in total weight compared to the stock items. 

charger2fast4u

yes it is designed to stock specs other then being a tubular setup. if you get the k frame, upper and lower control arms they will allow for you to adjust the caster from 3* to 7* i would estimate a total  of around  70-80 pounds of weight savings off the front end.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Brads70 on January 11, 2011, 10:20:36 PM

AKA "Moparfest"

Yes - I wonder if they know it is no longer in New Hamburg?    :lol:

Brads70

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 12, 2011, 10:36:54 AM
Quote from: Brads70 on January 11, 2011, 10:20:36 PM

AKA "Moparfest"

Yes - I wonder if they know it is no longer in New Hamburg?    :lol:

:hah: attack of the typo !

Mike DC

Quotei would estimate a total  of around  70-80 pounds of weight savings off the front end.

That figure sounds a little high to me.  I'd be surprised if the loss was that much. 

The company should publish the figure.  It wouldn't be hard to add it up.

charger2fast4u

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 12, 2011, 07:04:19 PM
Quotei would estimate a total  of around  70-80 pounds of weight savings off the front end.

That figure sounds a little high to me.  I'd be surprised if the loss was that much. 

If you look on the CAP website they say the k frame is 52 pounds lighter then stock and the lower arms are 8 pounds lighter I didn't see any info on how much the upper ones take off.

dangina

Quote from: charger2fast4u on January 13, 2011, 12:53:19 AM
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 12, 2011, 07:04:19 PM

If you look on the CAP website they say the k frame is 52 pounds lighter then stock and the lower arms are 8 pounds lighter I didn't see any info on how much the upper ones take off.

with tubular uppers u probably be around 70lbs also if u go to the r&p setup your over the 100 lbs saving mark - im curious as to who uses a r&p setup and how better it is than stock

charger2fast4u

Some good info you have in your thread anyone know how strong they are? Would they handle 650HP without twisting breaking? I don't see paying that much for a alter k setup this seems worth the money from what I've gathered so far how does your car handle with this setup run into any problems with it yet

71charger_fan

The single only thing I don't like is the non-bushed aluminum strut rods groan a little coming to a stop. Mopar Muscle put one in their bracket-racing Barracuda. The write up might be on their website. Mopar Action in a recent issue found the CAP lower control arms to be quite a bit stronger than the stockers.

Brads70

Quote from: 71charger_fan on January 18, 2011, 03:30:10 PM
The single only thing I don't like is the non-bushed aluminum strut rods groan a little coming to a stop.
How do you mean? Are they moving? Flexing? I'm curious as I'm in the market for some strut rods and was looking at the Cap set up?
:-\  :shruggy:

charger2fast4u

Any idea on how sturdy this k frame is can it handle wheel stands or going over bumps and really flexing the suspension without snapping Did you get to drive tour charger before the install if so how is the before and after handling of it? Your opinion worth the money spent?

71charger_fan

You've got to remember, the aluminum strut rod set up is metal to metal. It's just a little noisy without the factory bushings to absorb some of the vibrations/movement. It's not bad and it certainly keeps the suspension geometry stable. If was doing it over, especially with a street cruiser, I might stick with the factory strut rods and poly bushings. Although I have a set of factory struts and the poly bushings, I'm not about to switch them in.

dangina

Quote from: 71charger_fan on January 19, 2011, 09:12:33 AM
You've got to remember, the aluminum strut rod set up is metal to metal. It's just a little noisy without the factory bushings to absorb some of the vibrations/movement. It's not bad and it certainly keeps the suspension geometry stable. If was doing it over, especially with a street cruiser, I might stick with the factory strut rods and poly bushings. Although I have a set of factory struts and the poly bushings, I'm not about to switch them in.

are they that noisy that you would rather not have them? also are the heim links weatherproof?

charger2fast4u

if you got some strut rods and used poly bushings do you think this would quiet this down? is that the only downfall of this system? i'd really like to hear everything i can on this k frame i also am interested in the XV RMS and Magnumforce k frames but not sure if they offer just the bare k frame no upper and lower arms or anything. anyone have this system with the rack and pinion setup? im interested in them as well any advantage over a rebuilt firmfeel stage 2 box other then weight and possibly freeing up space in the engine bay? any performance gains over the firmfeel?

71charger_fan

I pulled out factory strut rods with poly bushings to put this in. I'm used to the noise. It was disturbing at first. Once I figured out what it was, I could ignore it. Overall, I'm very satisfied. So, I guess, I'll leave everything as is.

Brads70

So for a street car maybe the firm feel set up would be better?  :shruggy:
http://www.firmfeel.com/adjstrut.htm

charger2fast4u

good question Brads70 is there any difference in handling between yours  71charger fan and the ones offered from firmfeel? just to make sure i got you right yours are aluminum and dont have any bushing/urethane separating the LCA and the strut?

71charger_fan

Taking a leap, I assume the CAP parts would be better in very hard use as there is no bushing deflection. For a street car, there might be better options.