News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 running strange

Started by 68 CHARGER R/T, January 09, 2011, 07:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68 CHARGER R/T

hi fellas i have a quick question regarding my 440 . i started him up again today and i noticed when he was running he would sputter (like a backfire )  even holding the revs at 2 k . took all the plugs out and 6 out of 8 were really black the two which are on the passenger side were not bad cleaned them up but still had this sputtering issue not as bad . any ideas it's got a edelbrock intake and a holley 850 on her with electronic ignition, she on occasion does this weird noise from the engine while she's running sounds like a grinding or humming noise ,it's kinda hard to tell in the video starts up at 25 second mark :rotz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYk-wfJdCNg    the weird noise in this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mICn9jfjz0    sputtering in this one at times after plugs cleaned

elacruze

What's your engine combination? Solid lifters or hydraulic? Milled heads? Decked block? Adjustable rockers or no?

Noise sounds like power steering pump, alternator or water pump.
Misfire sounds like valve lash too tight, but given the valve noise in the video may not be the case.
Checked your float level? Have you tried turning in the idle mixture screws?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

68 CHARGER R/T

well i replaced the accel plugs with new one's for now no sputtering so far  ,any spark plugs you might suggest . i was just gonna say the water pump cause its coming from that area but,it's not constantly their the noise . which is weird to me  :shruggy:

elacruze

Your plugs are fouling because they are overfuelled or undersparked. Most likely you have debris in the carb inlet holding the inlet valve open and overfilling the float bowl. Your ignition could have a weak coil but I don't think that likely. New plugs will eventually foul just as the old ones if you don't find the root cause. Check your float level. Look down the carb throat while the engine is running to see if fuel is pouring in anyplace it shouldn't. (don't rev the engine while looking and wear glasses) What do you have for a choke?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

68 CHARGER R/T

She's got a manual choke on her. .thanks for the tips I will look into it tommorow

FLG

Remove all the belts and start it, see if the noise is gone. If it is you can than narrow it down to  one of the accessories.

How long do you leave the choke on for? Hated em, as they just foul out the plugs (even cold weather here in NY i still could start her without a choke...just needs a bit of throttle manipulation) but if you just put the choke on and pull it off after shes running your prob fine, more issues with electric chokes.

elacruze

:iagree:

My pickup has a manual-choke 318, and I've killed it 3 or 4 times by overchoking for only a moment. I only set the choke knob about 1/5 to 1/4 out now and it works fine.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

68 CHARGER R/T

The thing is I never used the choke even in the winter time I just hold her

elacruze

If you don't have to use the choke at all when it's cold (below 50* maybe) then you're either way too rich on the idle circuit, or flooding the motor with the accelerator pump. If it runs without you pumping it, the idle is too rich. If you have to keep it running by pumping the pedal, you're just flooding it a different way.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

68 CHARGER R/T

oh yes she's gotta be pumped a good few times especially if she sits for two three weeks at a time