News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Header install problem

Started by rrob, January 17, 2011, 01:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrob

Just putting my 440 and new Hooker competition headers in the charger. The drivers side header touches the tosion bar and the steering box on the drivers side , I can't move the engine over far enough to even get the motor mount bolt in that side and the tranny tail housing is pushed over to the pass side. Anyone else have problems with Hooker fitment?  :brickwall: :brickwall:
69 charger, 440, automatic

FLG

Generally they fit OK but might require a few dings  :P

471_Magnum

I think the Hookers are hit or miss on fit. I've heard testimonials of great ding-free installations, and situations where they just did not fit PERIOD.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

charger2fast4u

I git the hooker headers on my 440 challenger they hit in the same spot on my drivers side had to use a ball peen hammer and out some dings in the headers to clear my steering box and shaft also they are a real pain to change the spark plugs with them I would suggest buying a mini starter if you don't already have one they will cook your starter in a short time I had to replace my starter because it got heat soaked I also bought the header wrap and a starter blanket  to prevent this from happening again a year later and the starter still works great I got TTI headers for my 440 charger don't know how they fit yet but heard nothing but great things about them that's how I made my choice to go with them

rrob

Well, these will require more than a few dings to clear. I would have to flatten one tube about 3/4 of it's diameter to clear the torsion bar and put a serious dent in another to clear the corner of the steering box, so back they go and I am ordering some Hedman Elites instead.  Oh well........

ACUDANUT

I gave up on all headers period.. They burn out the starter, and have issues such as this. ...Go with factory HP exhaust manifolds. :Twocents:

dstryr

Maybe too late to help in this instance, I just put Doug's D452 2" headers on my 440 Roadrunner, no dings anywhere, adequate clearance of torsion bars and 11" bellhousing. 
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Al

1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

Cooter

It's obvious you have something going on if the motor mount bolt won't even go in..I wouldn't be so quick to blame the headers guys...Sounds like something mighta been wrecked at one time and now the problems arise..Have run Hooker headers for years, never had this type of issue...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

elacruze

I have Hooker 2" SC headers (from 1982) and the only place they actually touch anything is the bottom of the driver side frame rail. One tube rubs just enough to make a flat on the tube about 1/2" across. No steering box or torsion bar issues at all. I can take the mini-starter out with no more trouble than removing one torsion bar.

Of course, you can't drop a socket anywhere near them and have it make it to the floor, either. They're tight everywhere.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

rrob

Quote from: Cooter on January 28, 2011, 06:35:43 AM
It's obvious you have something going on if the motor mount bolt won't even go in..I wouldn't be so quick to blame the headers guys...Sounds like something mighta been wrecked at one time and now the problems arise..Have run Hooker headers for years, never had this type of issue...
I considered that and have scrutinized everything and all is OK, I tryed an old, rusty, and pinholed Hooker header on that side that a buddy of mine had in his junk collection and it fit in and cleared the steering box and torsion bar just fine and the bolt slid in to the mount. Obviously there is something wrong with this specific set of headers. Hopefully my new Hedman Elites will be here soon.   Rob