News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HEI Distributor Fitting Question:

Started by Captain D, January 10, 2011, 01:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi all,

I have a question to ask about the HEI Distributor if I may please. At the shop, the mechanic installed the distributor, but the cap actually sets up a tad too high in order for the hood to close properly.

Rather than getting in touch w/ me to find out if I wanted to keep it in there, or simply revert back to the standard stock version, he grinded/sanded down the inner corner of the valve cover in order to acquire a better fitting of the HEI Distributor. So, even if I wanted to revert back to the stock distributor, I'm kind of stuck with the HEI simply because to revert to stock would show the grinded/sanded area of the valve cover  :brickwall:.

To those members here who have the HEI on your 68-70' Chargers, did you have to cut some of the hood underneath to help it close better? While doing some searches, I came across an HEI Distributor cap that is shorter. Here was that link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370470269292

I thought that my problems were over when I came across it, but mine being an HEI with the 'Cap Mounted Coil' on the very top, I'm curious if anyone here knows if that is an option to combine the two features together: the shorter HEI cap (as pictured in the link above) with the cap mounted coil. If so, any leads will be greatly appreciated.

If no such thing exists, would the next best option (since I'm rather stuck with the HEI distributor) be to use this smaller cap version to help my hood to close properly and simply install a separate coil altogether?

Thank you for any and all replies,
Aaron

Captain D

At this point, I found out that it is neither a Mallory nor an Accel, but just a basic import model. It runs great, but it is exactly 12'' inches in height from the block to the top of the cap - making it a tad too tall in order to close the hood properly. After calling several tech support numbers today I was told that I could install an "HEI Remote Coil Mount Kit" that is only being sold through MSD to run the coil from the distributor cap to the inner fender. They claim that this may help to add some more room so that I can lower the hood better.

But, my main question here is - with an HEI distributor at 12'' inches in height, will the "HEI Remote Coil Mount Kit" really make much of a difference? At this point, I'm not worried about authenticity if its a GM or Mopar look - I'm just interested in closing the dang hood. If this route doesn't work, I may have no choice but to revert back to stock - which includes purchasing not only the stock distributor, wires, coil, but also a new valve cover; or covers in this case, including gaskets, sealant and the the whole deal.

Have you ever see a 68-70' Charger with this tall of a distributor and go the "HEI Remote Coil Mount Kit" route before?

Here was the link that I had found, which I think is what I need if you think that this route may work:

http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=8226/424.0?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleshopping

or, something hopefully not as pricey as this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8500/?rtype=10

Thank you for any replies,
Aaron

red79

haha tell me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a remote HEI coil defeat the whole purpose of an HEI setup--namely, compact and clean? you might as well just run a standard box-coil-distrib at that point   :Twocents:

FLG

Talk to firefighter Ron,

Bought all my stuff from him, hes a firecore dealer. They make great wires, distributors, and coils. Its an HEI cap with a remote coil fits just as good as the stock distributor, no cylinder head or valve cover interference...and nicely priced to boot.

skip68

I think D.U.I. makes a hei one and it fits.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!