News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 is totally dissassembled have a couple questions

Started by Brightyellow69rtse, January 09, 2011, 03:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brightyellow69rtse

ok well one of the questions is about the cam that was in it i found some more markings on it. theres a na2089  and a 270h10 on the front of it behing where the timing gear goes. its also has redish purple paint on the face of it if that helps at all.

i got the pistons out and one of the bores looks kinda crappy. whats a good piston thats wont cost me a ton of money this is a budget build. im using 452 heads i had some work done to a few years ago. they were milled .050" and a 3 angle valve job.

any reccomendations while its all apart would be great thanks guys  :2thumbs:

djcarguy

:popcrn:  :drool5::popcrn: :drool5: :popcrn: POST FULL PICS OF TRACTOR GAL and bet ya get tons of help and replys....    if cylinder is to crappy ya may have to bore and sleeve that one. what year motor and has it been ran hard or had any detonasion high rpm,, old old rods are being found to have fatigue cracks are breaking near wrist pins,,all the best on your build

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on January 09, 2011, 03:17:35 PM
theres a na2089  and a 270h10 on the front of it behing where the timing gear goes.

That's a Comp Cams number, 270° advertised duration with 110° lobe centers. Power range is from 1800-5500 rpm.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Brightyellow69rtse

thanks for the cam id. ill admit i know nothing about cams. is that a good cam? i hope to build a pretty stout 440. im getting new pistons a for it after i get it to the machine shop. im using 452 heads milled .050" with a 3 angle valve job. i also have a brand new street dominator intake ready for it. my car is a 4 speed with 4.10's

i also have this cam http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-6401/

should i reuse either of these or is there something better i should be getting?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on January 10, 2011, 07:43:16 PM
thanks for the cam id. ill admit i know nothing about cams. is that a good cam? i hope to build a pretty stout 440. im getting new pistons a for it after i get it to the machine shop. im using 452 heads milled .050" with a 3 angle valve job. i also have a brand new street dominator intake ready for it. my car is a 4 speed with 4.10's

i also have this cam http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-6401/

should i reuse either of these or is there something better i should be getting?

Mike, if you're going with new pistons etc... then you might as well upgrade the cam.  :yesnod:

I like the Lunati VooDoo 303 grind for your build.  :2thumbs:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60303LK/

Bill (440RT) is running this cam in his 440 and it makes very good power :

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52477.0.html

KB has a new line of Forged pistons that are reasonably priced....those would be a nice upgrade if you need to overbore the block.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Brightyellow69rtse

ok Ron thats the cam then you never steered me wrong before and ive been picking your brain for years lol.  Ron can i use the same springs with this cam that i used when i ran the summit cam?
when i can get the block outta the cellar im gonna take it to the shop and get it cleaned and checked out. im hoping i can get away with just a hone but i dunno. its .030" over now so i dont wanna go crazy with it.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on January 10, 2011, 10:20:47 PM
ok Ron thats the cam then you never steered me wrong before and ive been picking your brain for years lol.  Ron can i use the same springs with this cam that i used when i ran the summit cam?
when i can get the block outta the cellar im gonna take it to the shop and get it cleaned and checked out. im hoping i can get away with just a hone but i dunno. its .030" over now so i dont wanna go crazy with it.

Mike, the Comp Valvesprings i specced for the old Summit cam will be fine with the new VooDoo grind  :2thumbs:

You will need a new timing set for the Lunati cam...it's a 3 bolt upper gear. The Comp Magnum double roller is a great choice and costs under $50  ;)

Keep us up to speed on your progress  :yesnod:

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs