News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

garage fires

Started by flyinlow, January 08, 2011, 06:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

Winter,  doors shut ,furnace running, solvent fumes, welding.  Just thought i would ask the Firefighters out there, what causes most garage fires?

69rtse4spd

A383Wing

and stoopid people who don't use what God gave 'em!

Alaskan_TA

Being jobless & behind on house payments seems to cause them too.  :scratchchin:

Magnumcharger

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on January 08, 2011, 06:53:06 PM
Being jobless & behind on house payments seems to cause them too.  :scratchchin:
:smilielol:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Magnumcharger on January 09, 2011, 10:14:56 AM
:smilielol:

It's funny but true. One of the guys in our Dept. is also an insurance agent and we have had this discussion several times. Suspicious home fires/car accidents are more frequent in bad economies. It's perceived as a way out and some folks take the chance.  :P

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

twodko

I'm thinking oily rags stored improperly and flammable material left too close to an ignition source for starters.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

resq302

Garage fires can be started by a variety of things.  Spontaneous combustion from oil soaked rags and chemicals causing a chain reaction to electric heaters left on and shorting out or putting combustible materials too close to them.  There have also been electrical fires started from lighting fixtures and improperly wired or overloaded circuts inside garages.  Probably one of the scariest environments I have ever been in since you have no clue of what the home owner is storing inside his garage.  Could be anything from batteries to propane cylinders or even small gas tanks for his lawn mower or snow blowers.  Forget the starting fluid containers or carb cleaners on the shelf for his cars.  Oh and the paint thinners and and laquer thinners or mineral spirits used to clean various types of paints and varnishes that the homeowner might do.  Probably one of the worst fires I was ever in was a garage that had a wood shop set up in it.  Wood dust is one of the worst things you can have in a fire.  It goes up so hot and fast you really dont have time to react.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

flyinlow

Quote from: resq302 on January 09, 2011, 05:30:14 PM
Garage fires can be started by a variety of things.  Spontaneous combustion from oil soaked rags and chemicals causing a chain reaction to electric heaters left on and shorting out or putting combustible materials too close to them.  There have also been electrical fires started from lighting fixtures and improperly wired or overloaded circuts inside garages.  Probably one of the scariest environments I have ever been in since you have no clue of what the home owner is storing inside his garage.  Could be anything from batteries to propane cylinders or even small gas tanks for his lawn mower or snow blowers.  Forget the starting fluid containers or carb cleaners on the shelf for his cars.  Oh and the paint thinners and and laquer thinners or mineral spirits used to clean various types of paints and varnishes that the homeowner might do.  Probably one of the worst fires I was ever in was a garage that had a wood shop set up in it.  Wood dust is one of the worst things you can have in a fire.  It goes up so hot and fast you really dont have time to react.

I am carefull with rag disposal , keep the gas in safety cans in a small burn box 50' away from the house and garage. I have smoke alarms and firextinguishers. You try to think of the possibility's. 
A garage down the road burned because of a malfunctioning opener.

adauto

Shorts in the checkbook not the wiring!  :rofl:  :rofl:
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Old Moparz

I bet carelessness is the biggest culprit. There is a guy on the Garage Journal site that posted photos of a fire in his garage that started by spilling racing fuel that ignited from a halogen light. He was running a small business in his residential garage so his insurance didn't cover it. The damage was pretty major, including customer cars & losing all his tools.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18870&highlight=heat

I don't have any heating system in my shop yet, but when I install something, it will not have any type of open flame. My biggest fear is gasoline vapors from a dripping tank on a car, a spill, the lawnmower, or just a gas can igniting from an open flame on a heater. This year I plan to build a new shed & move some things into it, including gasoline I store for small equipment.

Here's the pics he posted over on the garage site....
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

greenpigs

So Old Moparz is the image from a King Krimsom album?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

resq302

Damn Bob, thats devastating.  Hopefully no one was hurt.  Im still paranoid about having my charger in the garage that is attached to our house and having the oil fed furnace in the next room maybe 20 feet away.  However, it is better than leaving the charger out in the cold weather until I can convince my wife to let me build a two car detached garage over by my other two sheds.  Im not holding my breath though on the new garage. :'(
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Old Moparz

Quote from: greenpigs on January 10, 2011, 10:20:22 AM

So Old Moparz is the image from a King Krimsom album?

Sure is, the first one, "In the Court of the Crimson King".   :D

Quote from: resq302 on January 10, 2011, 10:21:07 AM

Damn Bob, thats devastating.  Hopefully no one was hurt.  Im still paranoid about having my charger in the garage that is attached to our house and having the oil fed furnace in the next room maybe 20 feet away.  However, it is better than leaving the charger out in the cold weather until I can convince my wife to let me build a two car detached garage over by my other two sheds.  Im not holding my breath though on the new garage. :'(

He said he burned his hand trying to put it out, 3rd degree burns if I recall.  :o

I have insurance, so at least if anything did go wrong I'd be okay. Funny thing though, after building the garage I never contacted the insurance company to let them know I now had a garage. I had a guaranteed replacement policy for years, but they don't offer that same plan now. When I called with some questions about something else in the policy, I had asked about updating a few other things. The agent asked a few questions & the garage came up. I "assumed" it would have been covered, but was told they had no idea it was there.

It's damn sure covered now!  :cheers:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Aero426

I also make sure I do not have power tool battery chargers plugged in unattended.   There was a local fire started in this manner.   When I am away from the storage garage, I try to have as little plugged in as possible.

skip68

Clogged dryer vents are a huge culpret too! Our washer and dryer are in the garage with the General and I hate it!  I'm hoping to reroute the water hookups and electrical to the opposite side of the wall. This would place them on the porch, and then make a room enclosure. (kinda like an Arizona room.) Time and money,......thats all its gonna take! Mrs.skip68
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

gtx6970

Quote from: A383Wing on January 08, 2011, 06:47:11 PM
and stoopid people who don't use what God gave 'em!

aint that the thruth,
mixing sparks and fumes in the same area is high up there. I know of 2 shops in the past 5 years lost to fires caused by not using your head.

resq302

There was a Firestone Tire center that burned pretty good cause of a mechanic using a drop light with an incandescent bulb working on a fuel tank or fuel line repair.  The guy got burned pretty bad and the shop was closed for a couple of weeks.  Funny thing was it was right down the road from where I used to work at ETD tire center.  I called up my old boss and asked him if he was trying to put the competition out of business. :smilielol:
Brian

flyinlow

Quote from: Aero426 on January 10, 2011, 12:40:41 PM
I also make sure I do not have power tool battery chargers plugged in unattended.   There was a local fire started in this manner.   When I am away from the storage garage, I try to have as little plugged in as possible.

Did not think of that.

I try to not weld or grind unless I am going to be in the garage for an hour or so after I am done.

No using the acetylene torch without a second person.

NHCharger

I have the quick battery disconnects on both my Chargers. Never know with that old wiring.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

chargergirl

Lots of folks don't think about the battery chargers...they are still pulling power even when the item is not in the cradle and the connectors are hot...still kicken. One lady burned her vehicle to the ground when she unhooked her phone and left the charger plugged in. I'm married to Navy man who survived an onboard fire/explosion...he's VERY attentive to anything that might make our garage go boom.
Trust your Woobie!