News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any of you guys into Vintage Sleds?

Started by PocketThunder, January 06, 2011, 05:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

I've got a '71 Arctic Cat Panther 340 that i had running 5 years ago.  I got it out again now the kids are old enough to go for a ride.  It fired off for me Sunday but i need to clean out the fuel lines and maybe rebuild the carb.

Tonight i'm going to go look at a '73 Yamaha GP338 that is local to me.  He says it runs and its a couple hundred bucks so i cant pass that up!  :icon_smile_big:

I'll report back with pictures tonight.

Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Ponch ®

I'm from Cali, so when I saw "vintage sled" the first thing that came to mind was one of these:

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

skip68

Pictures when you get them please.   Sounds cool to me.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

speedfreak68

Quote from: Ponch ® on January 06, 2011, 05:49:52 PM
I'm from Cali, so when I saw "vintage sled" the first thing that came to mind was one of these:

Thats what I thought too...except I'm from Kansas lol

vancamp

1969chargerrtse

I used to have some old Rupps.  I had a 69 SkiDoo at one time.  It was almost better to run in the snow than that fat slow thing.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

chargerboy69

I love some of the old sleds.  I have been looking for a old Mercury Hurricane for some time without much luck.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

PocketThunder

Well the Yamaha guy had to reschedule for this weekend so i wont be getting that sled till probably Saturday Morning.  But here are the pictures of my Arctic Cat Panther.  I'm off to pull the tank and carb and give them a good cleaning. 

Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

drifter69

I think Ponch's sled would make it just as far in the snow after looking at the tracks on the other. ;D

Shakey

I'm really diggin' the seat covers on that thing!   :yesnod:

I was up in Wyoming, MN at the Polaris design facilty a few times, got some really neat stuff up there.

NHCharger

Those pics brought back some memories. Didn't the old cats have the metal cleats on the tracks? I remember some hair raising rides on the ice with them. We had a pair of 71 Ski-Doo Olympics. Beat the snot out of mine, never left me stranded. went through a couple sets of the boogie wheel suspension since we didn't have the groomed trails back in the old days. My best friend had a 440 Rupp. Other friend had some Harley Davidson sleds, talk about some serious junk.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

oldgold69

i have a 72 polaris colt  72 rupp nitro  80 polaris txl 340 83 vmax  my dad has a 69 skidoo 1 lunger    my son is trying to restore the colt  my back cant take more than ten miles on those things

Shakey

Had a Yamaha 340 as a kid in the early '80's.  Ran it into the side of the neighbours house when I lost control.  Got lucky as I was wearing a helmet and flew of the sled and went head first into the wall.  Further to that it was an extension on the house with sliding doors on either side.  3 feet to the left and I would have gone through one sliding door, careened through the living room and right out the other.  It was my lucky day!

Richard Cranium

I prefer the modern 4 stoke machines.
I am Dr. Remulac

PocketThunder

Quote from: Richard Cranium on January 07, 2011, 01:34:23 PM
I prefer the modern 4 stoke machines.

Me too,  but my budget doesnt allow it at the moment.   :brickwall:

Magnumcharger

I'm not "into" vintage sleds by any means. However, since these things keep showing up at local car shows in the SUMMER, I feel obliged to take pictures of them when I see a few lined up.
My personal background with sleds primarily involved wrapping them around trees when I was a teenager, or tearing the shit out of a "Kittycat" (you should know that term!) at a friends' hunting camp.

There definitely is a strong movement towards restoring these machines, and the followers are every bit as dedicated as all of us Charger folk!

Here's a few snapshots, just for shits 'n giggles!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Magnumcharger

More pics...

Magnumcharger

Last few.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

HANDM

On the yellow one, it looks like someone crossed out snowbite and re wrote snowbible  :lol:

John_Kunkel

When I saw "vintage sled" the first thing that came to mind was "Rosebud".
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Magnumcharger on January 07, 2011, 04:39:07 PM
I'm not "into" vintage sleds by any means. However, since these things keep showing up at local car shows in the SUMMER, I feel obliged to take pictures of them when I see a few lined up.
My personal background with sleds primarily involved wrapping them around trees when I was a teenager, or tearing the shit out of a "Kittycat" (you should know that term!) at a friends' hunting camp.

There definitely is a strong movement towards restoring these machines, and the followers are every bit as dedicated as all of us Charger folk!

Here's a few snapshots, just for shits 'n giggles!

Thanks for those Robin.  :yesnod:  Apparently the largest vintage sled meet in the world is just down the road from me on Lake Waconia at the end of January.  I'll take my sleds out there and see whats up.

http://www.mwvss.com/

PocketThunder

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 07, 2011, 05:53:48 PM

When I saw "vintage sled" the first thing that came to mind was "Rosebud".

What?  Are you referring to the movie citizen cane?(which i havent seen) after a google search >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_Kane

?..??...??

PocketThunder

So my son and i went to this guys house Saturday morning to look at this 73 Yamaha.  Its in the backyard covered in snow.  We pull the plugs and shoot a little starting fluid in the cylinders and i give the rip cord a pull and the sucker fires right up!  SWEET!  :ricky: I wasnt even going to haggle him down from $250.  It was worth it to me.   :yesnod:

Here is a pic of where it was sitting.

Paul

General_01

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed