News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2 speed wiper motor

Started by TylerCharger69, January 06, 2011, 04:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TylerCharger69

The ballast resistor mounted on this....What exactly does it do?   My wipers quit automatically parking a while back  and now it works, but parks in the wrong place.  Used to have a 3 speed by the way if that helps

TylerCharger69

TylerCharger69

A383Wing

did you change the 3spd switch to a 2 speed version and the wiring as well?

TylerCharger69

No...it worked fine before...except  the 1st position was high and the other two upper  positions were low....and parked fine before....but now they park in the middle of the windshield.....And what does that ballast resistor do?

A383Wing

from what I remember..the resistor is for low speed

wiper, switch, & wiring are different from 2 & 3 speed motors

sounds like the parking switch went bad inside the motor..if you are still using 3spd switch, try and find a 3spd motor

TylerCharger69

Well....it worked fine before...but i DID disconnect the resistor...and i can now park them manually....

A383Wing

actually, it didn't work fine before..you said the first position was high, which should actually be low speed, and then you said the other 2 upper positions were low...which on a 3spd switch should be medium and high....

so in truth, it never worked like it should have because you have a 2spd motor connected to a 3spd switch & wiring.

again, get a 3spd motor and it should work like it should providing you didn't do any damage to the inside of the wiper switch

Topher

You may have already done damage to your switch because it stopped parking correctly. The switch is as important to the parking of the wipers as the cam inside the motor. Plus it needs to have a good ground or the wipers won't park.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

TylerCharger69

other than the switch working backwards....it worked fine.   I changed the ballast out a few hours ago  and PRESTO!!  It works again!!!  Parks where it supposed to!!  No...i already know it isnt correct....but i found the issue anyway

bakerhillpins

I really would suggest that you correct the wiring/switch.  :yesnod:  Now I don't have the wiring diagram in front of me but I suspect that you are just going to burn out another ballast resistor and/or cause even more damage in the long run by not wiring it together properly.

Improperly applying voltage and/or combination of the coils in the wiper motor will alter the current draw of the motor through your wiring harness possibly causing poor operation of your wipers, damage to components, melted wires and as a worse case result a fire.  :cheers:

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

A383Wing

yea..I tried to tell him that also...

but, it works "fine" now according to him...I would keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case