News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Yearone Heater Core...Don't buy one !!!

Started by The70RT, January 04, 2011, 07:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The70RT

Well it's a $200 pos  :rotz: I posted an earlier thread and no responded saying they had ever tried any aftermarket ones. I had to drill some new holes on the edge of the outer frame for it to line up in the box, big deal. I went to put the casing together and it wouldn't go on, the lower core frame wouldn't allow the lower long door to clear. I messed with it for a long time and almost bent the hinge side from pushing it in. This core has a framing around each core unlike the original one and wouldn't clear the lower vent door no mater how i tried to assemble the case.  I had to cut each corner a little to barely clear the door. It still rubs on the seal and hopefully when I test the vac pod it will operate. Again bid deal.....  :eyes: but now I cant get the case bolts to all line up and noticed the heater valve inside touching the core  :brickwall: I looked at my old valve and it may be even taller then the new one so that's not the problem. I didn't measure the core to compare it to the old one but it is clearly thicker. I put some thin plastic under the valve so It wouldn't penetrate the core  :-\  I still cant get it to close all the way without crushing the core  :flame: I am off like 1/4". I can just drill the 3 out I guess but what the hell. The first pic is where I had to trim the frame.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The70RT

Here is the bolt alignment  :P I did get the corner nut and bolt on but had to force it.

moparstuart

I had to have my a/c style heater core rebuilt by classic auto air , they did a great job   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

The70RT

Quote from: moparstuart on January 05, 2011, 04:32:08 PM
I had to have my a/c style heater core rebuilt by classic auto air , they did a great job   

For the price I paid for this one I probably should have went that route, but didn't know anyone did that. I have the old one and it didn't leak, I just didn't want to chance it. Hopefully this will work ok and it won't be a problem....anymore.

68blue

Mine did not work out for me either. I replumbed everything to get it to work as it did not fit up to the copper pipes that go outside the heater box. Ended up making my own "H" and used flexible hose. It works now and doesn't leak.

The70RT

Quote from: 68blue on January 05, 2011, 09:31:36 PM
Mine did not work out for me either. I replumbed everything to get it to work as it did not fit up to the copper pipes that go outside the heater box. Ended up making my own "H" and used flexible hose. It works now and doesn't leak.

I haven't adapted my outside pipes yet, They look lined up so I hope the hell they fit.

Old Moparz

I didn't know anyone rebuilt them either, so that's good to hear.  :2thumbs:

Bummer about the Year One core, have you contacted them about it?
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

The70RT

Quote from: Old Moparz on January 05, 2011, 09:35:03 PM
I didn't know anyone rebuilt them either, so that's good to hear.  :2thumbs:

Bummer about the Year One core, have you contacted them about it?

No, they would probably take it back but i altered it so maybe not. I got all the case bolts on now so after the pods are on and I test the doors this will be all behind me.

doctor4766

I had a radiator shop recore mine.
They charged me $300 for the priviledge too, but I'm guessing with all that goofing around with your core I may have come out in front afterall......
Gotta love a '69

The70RT

The AC core needed holes drilled in the frame to get it to bolt in but other that that it was ok. It is hard to believe that they wouldn't test fit the products before selling them  ::)

twodko

I am sorry to hear about this. Heater/AC box restos are challenging enough without having to fight poorly made parts. I bought a new heater core for my 69 non AC car at NAPA Auto parts. Dead on and fits like OE. YearOne is the spawn of Satan!
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Cooter

I've found that the NON A/C heater cores are no problem to find, it's the A/C cores that nobody makes anymore and as far as I know, they refuse to d o so..That Y/O unit looks like TWO Cores soldered together..Hell, I coulda done that for less than $200.00....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

DC_1

I was going to order one of these. I'll hold off. Classic Auto Air sells a new one, is it the same as the one from YO?

The70RT

Quote from: Sydmoe on January 07, 2011, 08:41:15 AM
I was going to order one of these. I'll hold off. Classic Auto Air sells a new one, is it the same as the one from YO?

Looks like the same one to me, maybe it's thinner???

Chatt69chgr

Old Air Products has this core.  May be the same one as Year One----or Year One may source it from them.  I don't know.  See:

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/factory-parts_factory-replacement-parts_heater-cores.html

Classic Auto Air is the other source as indicated.  

Year One generally doesn't make anything.  So they are getting the core from somebody to resell.

The70RT

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on January 07, 2011, 10:38:01 AM
Old Air Products has this core.  May be the same one as Year One----or Year One may source it from them.  I don't know.  See:

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/factory-parts_factory-replacement-parts_heater-cores.html

Classic Auto Air is the other source as indicated.  

Year One generally doesn't make anything.  So they are getting the core from somebody to resell.

It looks the same as well.....go figure.

ACUDANUT

Remember Y/O does not make anything...They just sell other people's product, and make a killing doing so.  :Twocents:

A34

I've got some 68-70 a/c heater cores that were removed years ago and put up. If anyone wants one as a core to rebuild, pm me here. They're easily 20+ years old. Don't know if they'd leak or not as is. 

Looking for NOS parts for 69 Charger - whatcha got?
God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families !
Deo Vindice