News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 68 R/T

Started by Piston_Freddy, January 04, 2011, 04:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston_Freddy

Hi gang! Bought this car from a member here, got the car home in October.Always wanted a 68 Charger since I first saw the movie Bullitt when I was 13.Plan is to make the car drivable for spring.Radiator leaks,power steering leaks and new front disk brakes are leaking also.I changed the oil and filter but I need to to that again because old oil was so dirty. :o Probably because no PCV valve and breather???

I have done a lot of wiring work and its 90% sorted out.First it looked like three blind arsonist had tampered with the wiring. :eek2:  

Here's the old threads:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,23652.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,64365.0.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAfwYa5MONs

That's it pretty much, new carpet and door panels will go in soon! :drool5:
Max rim size:15"

LI_DSM

Someone can correct if I'm wrong, but I think the steering boxes rarely need full rebuilds and if it is leaking, it will most likely be the upper or lower seals which are relatively easy fixes.

The flat black is awesome

Brock Samson

Congrats! what kind of licence plate is that?..

drifter69

Welcome, have fun with it. ;D

Blakcharger440

That is a sweeeet 68! Please show some pics of the interior and engine! That would be just as cool. I dont care about seeing dirt and grime I just like looking at project cars before they get restored!  :2thumbs:

71ChallengeHer

So, you bought Hitman's car ?  :2thumbs:

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on January 04, 2011, 09:30:22 PM

Yep, I believe he did.

Quote from: Brock Samson on January 04, 2011, 05:23:16 PM

Estonia if I recall correctly.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Piston_Freddy

Quote from: LI_DSM on January 04, 2011, 04:51:43 PM
Someone can correct if I'm wrong, but I think the steering boxes rarely need full rebuilds and if it is leaking, it will most likely be the upper or lower seals which are relatively easy fixes.

The flat black is awesome
It just started to leak here one day :shruggy:  Yeah I love the flat black to, needs a new coat tho. :scope:

Quote from: drifter69 on January 04, 2011, 08:03:15 PM
Welcome, have fun with it. ;D
Thanks! That's the plan!

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on January 04, 2011, 09:26:05 PM
That is a sweeeet 68! Please show some pics of the interior and engine! That would be just as cool. I dont care about seeing dirt and grime I just like looking at project cars before they get restored!  :2thumbs:

Thanks!  Well I'm not gonna to a full resto yet, but make the car drivable and do a resto someday. 

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on January 04, 2011, 09:30:22 PM
I sure did!
Quote from: bakerhillpins on January 04, 2011, 09:59:01 PM

Quote from: Brock Samson on January 04, 2011, 05:23:16 PM

Estonia if I recall correctly.
Yep those are Estonian small type plates, we call them American plates over here. :yesnod:

Belgium R/T -68

Sure is nice to own a charger isn't it friend? :2thumbs:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Piston_Freddy

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on January 05, 2011, 02:28:00 PM
Sure is nice to own a charger isn't it friend? :2thumbs:

Per
It sure is Per!  :cheers: 

I just read like all the threads on internet about SSBC force 10 brakes and I'm not happy.Seems like everybody has the same problems with those things. :eek2: Hard pedal and impossible to lock the wheels.I remember that the pedal was very hard to press, and the car didn't stop like it suppose do(I assume).I'm not sure if the car passes the inspection like this. :-\   

Then I tried to fix voltmeter and gas gauge, and found out that the plastic needles are cracked, and since the small gauge sides are grind ed to make them all fit, they just broke in half.So now I'm looking a stock 68-70 gauge cluster and speedometer cable.Speedometer has to work!I plan to install the tach on the column or something like that and 3-4 aftermarket gauges under the dash.So if anybody has a 68-70 cluster for sale, let me now!

On a good side, I should get my re cored 26 rad from the radiator shop this week.

RECHRGD

The SSBC brakes are fine.  I've got them.  The problem is the master cylinder that they supply with the kit.  It's a 1" bore and is the reason for the hard pedal.  Go to a 7/8" bore master.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Blakcharger440

Very cool!!! Congrats on your purchase!

HITMAN 149

yup....
my old baby!!!  :'(
well it went to a good home!!!
:cheers: with the resto!!!
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

elacruze

I'm glad to see the car return to the forum!
Times will Turn, Hitman. Another will come around.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Brass

Piston_Freddy

Quote from: RECHRGD on January 24, 2011, 11:27:58 AM
The SSBC brakes are fine.  I've got them.  The problem is the master cylinder that they supply with the kit.  It's a 1" bore and is the reason for the hard pedal.  Go to a 7/8" bore master.  Bob
Is this SSBC master cylinder?  Car had drums before so maybe the problem is with the stock proportioning valve? Brakes still need bedding in I believe.Can't test them until snow melts.

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on January 25, 2011, 11:28:47 PM
yup....
my old baby!!!  :'(
well it went to a good home!!!
:cheers: with the resto!!!
Thanks John! You better buy a '68 again someday! :cheers: 

I got the radiator today that was re cored, looks like new. moparsal will send me a gauge cluster and a steering box rebuild kit soon.
When the steering box is out I'm gonna upgrade engine mount and install 2 bolt's inside them. Yes I got the idea from firefighter3931 thread.

1969chargerrtse

Here's the thread on the power steering leak.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,67669.0.html
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

HITMAN 149

hey raido...
no that was the stock master cyl...& booster, it was just all rebuilt by NAPA auto. (my jerkoff ex-friend told me anyways)!
lol 
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

G-man

Hello

Nice charger. My Charger was leaking from the power steer box and the pump. The entire thing needed a complete rebuild. Now it runs on all High pressure equipment good for 3500psi which is alot more than the original 1500psi they offered. You may find that a complete rebuild is the only way to fix it.

Piston_Freddy

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 04, 2011, 05:36:39 PM
Here's the thread on the power steering leak.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,67669.0.html
Thanks for that link, that will come in handy!   

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on February 05, 2011, 01:13:03 PM
hey raido...
no that was the stock master cyl...& booster, it was just all rebuilt by NAPA auto. (my jerkoff ex-friend told me anyways)!
lol 
I see, but the car was with drums from the factory right? That looks like a disk brake master cylinder? I wonder if it was manual drum or power drum car from the factory?  I looked and I have only this thing between master cylinder and brake lines: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=46508.0;attach=101800;image  Hope Per dosent mind.
So from all the parts combined view I should have everything to stop this thing?

Quote from: G-man on February 05, 2011, 05:42:37 PM
Hello

Nice charger. My Charger was leaking from the power steer box and the pump. The entire thing needed a complete rebuild. Now it runs on all High pressure equipment good for 3500psi which is alot more than the original 1500psi they offered. You may find that a complete rebuild is the only way to fix it.

Hi, Thanks. I already have a rebuild kit on the way!

HITMAN 149

hey raido..
yes the car had power drums before i did the ssbc kit...
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

Piston_Freddy

I got a package from moparsal today! I bought a cluster from him and he helped me out and got me a steering box rebuild kit. :2thumbs:

And on other package I got a few days ago.Bought a tach from a guy in Hamb and he got me a PCV valve and breather.

I replaced the Acura seats with the stock ones, they are green :eek2:, but that wont interfere driving.

Also I got a radiator back from the shop, recored and looks like new.   

That's all for now, can't wait to drive this thing already. 

HITMAN 149

you put the carpet in also?? looks soooo much nicer with a carpet.. than just a rust colored metal floor!!! lol
you didn't like the acura seats?? and you did the door panels too!!! nice!!!!
:2thumbs:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

redmist

Are you getting rid of the cluster with the aftermarket gauges???  I may be interested!!
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.