News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Someone school me on factory heads, please!

Started by greasyspider, January 03, 2011, 06:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greasyspider

What are the differences in casting numbers in terms of performance?
'71 Plum Crazy  R/T

b5blue

greasyspider

Big block. Those links are pretty much what I was looking for thanks! :2thumbs:  What does open and closed combustion chamber mean?
'71 Plum Crazy  R/T

chargd72

Quote from: greasyspider on January 04, 2011, 08:20:01 AM
Big block. Those links are pretty much what I was looking for thanks! :2thumbs:  What does open and closed combustion chamber mean?

It relates to how many CCs your combustion chamber will have.  Closed chambered heads will have significantly less CCs and are good when you're looking to bump up your compression. 

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

firefighter3931

Closed chambers are better for detonation resistance with the right piston combination. If you're using an open chamber head it's better to keep the compression ratio at 9-9.5:1 if you want to run it on pump gas.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

greasyspider

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 04, 2011, 11:02:43 AM
Closed chambers are better for detonation resistance with the right piston combination. If you're using an open chamber head it's better to keep the compression ratio at 9-9.5:1 if you want to run it on pump gas.

Ron

But physically, how are open and closed chambers different?
'71 Plum Crazy  R/T

Troy

Quote from: greasyspider on January 04, 2011, 07:22:47 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 04, 2011, 11:02:43 AM

Ron

But physically, how are open and closed chambers different?
The easiest way to tell is that the "open" chamber (recess where the valves are) is pretty much round - about the same diameter as the cylinder/piston. The "closed" chamber will have part of it basically flat with only the valves and spark plug recessed. These usually have a much smaller volume (and higher compression) in relation to the "open" chambers. For Mopar big blocks, 906, 452, 213 castings are examples of "open" chamber heads and 915 and 516 castings are "closed".

There are some pictures in this article:
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/engine/mopp_060800_mopar_max_wedge_cylinder_heads/factory_parts.html

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

greasyspider

'71 Plum Crazy  R/T

maxwellwedge