News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NEED ADVICE - Got in bad accident 1970 RT/SE - How to deal with Insurance Co.

Started by SanDiego70RTSE, January 11, 2011, 12:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charge-it

Quote from: SanDiego70RTSE on January 11, 2011, 01:03:56 AM
I was driving in the rain, the rear tires didn't have much tread, and I hydro-planed. The rear end slid around clickwise and I hit a post on the side of the highway.
Sorry about your Charger and glad your ok. Some might see this differently. Your statement above might give the insurance a reason to deny the claim. Isn't it your responsibility to maintain the car is a safe condition at all times? Your neglect of keeping good tires on the car is definately a factor in the cause of this accident. Good luck.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

skip68

I was thinking the same thing.   Don't tell that to anybody else.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

shart70rt

Had trouble getting to the picture album, but the picture on the thread looks like a bunch of band-aids are needed.

Have you thought of looking through Mopar Collector's Guide for restoration shops near you?

Stephen
Stephen Hart
1970 Charger RT, 440, console 4-speed, Dana 60 3.54
500 Stroker, Edelbrock Heads, Edelbrock intake, dual 600 CFM Carbs,
Comp Hydraulic Roller
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch setup, Passon Performance overdrive gearset in 833 18 spline 4 spd.
TTI 2 inch headers and 3 inch exhaust.
Subframe connectors
P-S-T polygraphite suspension
4 wheel disc brakes
Classic Auto Air AC
Billet Performance Serpentine Assy
reassembly in progress

shart70rt

Also - I think I have a drivers side door for 70 Charger - sure we can work something out if you can't find one there. May have drivers side fender too.

I will check to make sure when I get back home next week.

Stephenjavascript:void(0);
Stephen Hart
1970 Charger RT, 440, console 4-speed, Dana 60 3.54
500 Stroker, Edelbrock Heads, Edelbrock intake, dual 600 CFM Carbs,
Comp Hydraulic Roller
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch setup, Passon Performance overdrive gearset in 833 18 spline 4 spd.
TTI 2 inch headers and 3 inch exhaust.
Subframe connectors
P-S-T polygraphite suspension
4 wheel disc brakes
Classic Auto Air AC
Billet Performance Serpentine Assy
reassembly in progress

bill440rt

charger500440 has given some really good advice.  :yesnod:

I also work for a large insurance company, here in NJ. Again, laws vary from state to state.
You have a definite loss there, so like the previous advice I don't think you have anything to really worry about.
Do as much parts research as you can so you can provide the appraiser with as much info as possible, it will help him out tremendously. A door & quarter from AMD is just a phone call away, so have that info ready. Same with other parts you might need. Other parts like your hood, fender, bumper & grille leave you with no choice but used or NOS, so try to do some locating research on those as well.

Your appraiser is either going to use an estimating guide or negotiate labor with the shop of your choice. They may re-negotiate with the shop once your car is in for repairs along with any hidden damages, this is called a supplement.

Good luck to you for a speedy recovery!  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger_Fan

Quote from: TruckDriver on January 11, 2011, 10:49:40 PM
Quote from: Charger_Fan on January 11, 2011, 09:58:40 PM
Ouch! :icon_smile_blackeye:  :'(  I don't have any collector car insurance experience yet (knock-on-wood), but I'm hoping yours treats you well & you're able to get it repaired soon.

Didnt you say you wanted to sell, or were thinking about selling your '70 roller?
I do, but I have a hunch he'd rather just fix his... :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Khyron

Quote from: Charger_Fan on January 13, 2011, 09:14:01 AM

I'll take that bird bath off your hands ;-)

I have an itch for a Daytona Clone :-P

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

charger500440

Quote from: charge-it on January 12, 2011, 07:41:29 PM
Quote from: SanDiego70RTSE on January 11, 2011, 01:03:56 AM
I was driving in the rain, the rear tires didn't have much tread, and I hydro-planed. The rear end slid around clickwise and I hit a post on the side of the highway.
Sorry about your Charger and glad your ok. Some might see this differently. Your statement above might give the insurance a reason to deny the claim. Isn't it your responsibility to maintain the car is a safe condition at all times? Your neglect of keeping good tires on the car is definately a factor in the cause of this accident. Good luck.

No, losing control in bad weather is not a reason for denying the claim. Bad tires or not. Now if you were drag racing your buddy (organized at a track or illegal on the back road), you'd not want that info getting to the claim handler...
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

hemi-hampton

Quote from: TruckDriver on January 11, 2011, 10:49:40 PM
Quote from: Charger_Fan on January 11, 2011, 09:58:40 PM
Ouch! :icon_smile_blackeye:  :'(  I don't have any collector car insurance experience yet (knock-on-wood), but I'm hoping yours treats you well & you're able to get it repaired soon.

Didnt you say you wanted to sell, or were thinking about selling your '70 roller?

I could use the left front fender if parting it out :scratchchin:   LEON.

Finn

K guys Ill start:

Save that 70!!
Say no to the cut off wheel/plasma cutter!!!

Peace and free love for all!

;D

But seriously, are the frame rails gone or something? It looks like its saveable to me..
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Khyron on January 13, 2011, 02:26:55 PM

I'll take that bird bath off your hands ;-)

I have an itch for a Daytona Clone :-P
It would love to be a Daytona clone, what's stopping ya? Get yer butt over to my house & drag this tub home! :icon_smile_big: No VIN tag on the dash though, so that may make it a little less appealing. Still has the door sticker though, so it's not an impossible fix.

Leon, I planned on further parting it when I bought it. Then I got looking at what it is...XP29N0G a 383 4-speed 500 SE, and other than the extra rear ventilation, is in better shape than a lot of folk's resto projects. I decided I couldn't part it, but will sell to someone who would like to make it live again. :icon_smile_wink: Besides, that fender is full of mud in the front. :icon_smile_tongue:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

TruckDriver

Heyyyy, I didnt know its a 4spd car :drool5: You got a PM! This might be a good project to get my back into a Charger 2nd gen. (I miss my '69  :'( )
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

dkn1997

I'll say this...since insurance companies are big companies, some of us tend to regard them as we would the electric company or phone company.  You know...the rules are what they are and your bill is what it is and there's little room for negotiation. 

Nothing could be further from the truth with insurance.  I totaled my 68 charger a couple of years back and found out quickly the bodyshop owner and I were clearly the only ones involved who could find our asses with both hands.  The adjuster was a retard (sent by american collectors, my company) and the woman in the office who handled it didn't have a clue (ended up not going through american collectors and went through other guys insurance so I'll give her a pass on that)  The result was that I did my own research and got more than a fair price to fix my car.  If I had sat back and let the "pro's" handle it, I would have gotten 7K instead of 16K.  Admittedly, I was under-covered and that resulted in me having to do a lot of work so you shouldn't have that problem.  Still, insist on seeing all documentation to back up what they say and always go after more than they offer you the first time.  Also, be intimately involved in the repair.  My body guy was cool and let me order the parts.  He didn't really know where to get them anyway.  He did have a 50+ year old guy work on my car so I'm confident that at least he'd seen musclecars in his careeer.   Our 2nd gen's are constructed much like a new vehicle with the unibody and all.  But they do have to be on the lookout for rust- to me that's the one major difference in working on old stuff vs. new.

Good luck and get AMD on your speed dial!!  I ordered my AMD stuff from Jason at Gunslinger and he did me right.  I was getting a bunch of grill hardware since mine got smashed so it worked out really good. I ended up with their hood, drivers fender, and front valance.  I used a CBD drivers door shell since my door's structure was good.  AMD full door was twice the price as the shell I got. 
RECHRGED