News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Winding up the 383

Started by terrible one, January 03, 2011, 09:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

Well I've been able to thrash on my new 383 a fair bit by now and boy does it like the RPMs! So far I've taken it up to about 5,500 RPM and it was still pulling like a freight train  . . . no noises or anything but that's as far as I've taken it before asking around . . . I don't even know the max safe RPM for a stock 383. Anyways, the cam's advertised range is 1700-5700 RPM but don't know if I can take it that high? Aside from going till the pistons swap holes then backing down 100 RPM, can anyone give me an idea of my max RPM based on some of the build specs? One of my instructors said I would probably be fine even up to 6,000 or more  :shruggy:

Here's what I thought might be relevant, but any more info just ask:

TRW forged flat tops .004 in the hole w/ stock rods and ARP hardware ~ 9.3:1 compression, iron heads
Chromoly pushrods . . . think they are 5/16
Stock, but new rocker arms and shafts, new keepers and retainers, etc.

The cam is the Lunati 60302:
-220/226 duration
-.475/.494" lift

The valve springs are Comp Cams with dampners and a 373 lbs./in. spring rate

BBKNARF

Years ago I took my stock 383 70 Challenger to 6000 - 6200 rpm, that's when I heard the motor chater abit.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

Cooter

If the engine isn't making anymore power (Even though you THINK it is), I wouldn't take it any higher than it needs to go..(5700)...

With a cam of that size, (Short duration), I can't see that thing making much more power @6000 RPM's...Remember, unless you are CERTAIN of your piston to valve clearance, I wouldn't do too many 6000 RPM blasts, as a buddy hadda 440 he like to try and prove that old myth of "A 440 BB won't wind like a 340 SB will" crap and did take it to around 7500 RPM's..until Mr. Piston met Mr. Valve when the cheezy valve springs he was running gave up..While they were matched to the camshaft, they weren't matched to his right foot...Even though the 383 Chrysler has a shorter stroke than a SB Chevy, you are slinging ALOT more weight around at the same RPM...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

BSB67

383s can take considerable rpm even with the stock bottom end.  In your case, you'll run out of cam well before you get into the danger zone with the motor.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

firefighter3931

Quote from: BSB67 on January 03, 2011, 10:13:45 PM
383s can take considerable rpm even with the stock bottom end.  In your case, you'll run out of cam well before you get into the danger zone with the motor.

:iagree: That cam should be at peak power ~6k and hyd lifters are prone to pump-up at approximately the same rpm.  ;)

Shift it at 5800-6000  :yesnod:

Good to see you out enjoying the car after all your hard work Jackson  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

terrible one

Thanks for all of the info everyone. I guess next time I'll have to play around with it and see if I can feel where the power drops off. Either way, still surprising to me that this 'ol big block will shoot up to 6,000 RPM like it does!

terrible one

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 04, 2011, 11:00:01 AM

:iagree: That cam should be at peak power ~6k and hyd lifters are prone to pump-up at approximately the same rpm.  ;)

Shift it at 5800-6000  :yesnod:

Good to see you out enjoying the car after all your hard work Jackson  :2thumbs:

Ron

Thanks buddy! It has been an absolute BLAST, and like many here I absolutely owe it to you for picking out a good combination for me. You helped me with the cam and spring selection as well as torque converter and I know these things can make a HUGE difference in an engine build. Compared to other builds I've ridden in that were over cammed, etc. where guys just picked a big lift cam and a mystery stall converter without giving any thought to matching up parts, etc. this thing SCREAMS! Everyone I've given a ride to so far has complimented me on the engine and the power, ask me what all I've done to it, and all I can say is it has the right combination of parts in it!  Just flooring it from a stop this thing is literally sideways until 3rd gear! It just tickles me man. But maybe that's less 383 and more from the 3.55's  :P :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

You're welcome Jackson. :icon_smile_cool:

The combination is everything as you now know... first hand.  :icon_smile_big:

It's allways nice when a plan comes together  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: terrible one on January 04, 2011, 05:55:03 PM
What torque converter are you running?

:iagree: That cam should be at peak power ~6k and hyd lifters are prone to pump-up at approximately the same rpm.  ;)

Good to see you out enjoying the car after all your hard work Jackson  :2thumbs:

Ron

Thanks buddy! It has been an absolute BLAST, and like many here I absolutely owe it to you for picking out a good combination for me. You helped me with the cam and spring selection as well as torque converter and I know these things can make a HUGE difference in an engine build. Compared to other builds I've ridden in that were over cammed, etc. where guys just picked a big lift cam and a mystery stall converter without giving any thought to matching up parts, etc. this thing SCREAMS! Everyone I've given a ride to so far has complimented me on the engine and the power, ask me what all I've done to it, and all I can say is it has the right combination of parts in it!  Just flooring it from a stop this thing is literally sideways until 3rd gear! It just tickles me man. But maybe that's less 383 and more from the 3.55's  :P :2thumbs:

terrible one

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on January 04, 2011, 08:45:20 PM
Quote from: terrible one on January 04, 2011, 05:55:03 PM
What torque converter are you running?

Ron

I went with the PTC 11" and got it from Cope Racing Trans: https://www.coperacingtrans.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=245. Great deal at $280 if you ask me. Plus John Cope was a pleasure to deal with.

They had me give them my motor specs and gear ratio, etc. and if I remember correctly they ended up giving me a 2400-2600 stall . . . as the description says it's tailored to your build and not "off the shelf" . . . like I said, good deal for the price.