News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 Parts Ordering

Started by Orange Bird, January 03, 2011, 10:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orange Bird

I am considering my first trans rebuild. I know a little more than squat about the things and for some reason have always stayed away from the trans. I have heard they are easier than motors and motors don't scare me at all. Every one I have touched ran greatand my current one is running strong being rebuilt 25 years ago. Considering what I am doing to my current project (body, paint, electrical, motor, rear) and having concerns on service provided by local shops (they hear restoration and read $s into their prices based on what I have done to my project so far - see my restoration thread in Body and Paint approx P12-14). Considering I am touching every single fastener everywhere (literally) I don't see why the trans should be any different. I am considering it anyway. I am currently researching the terminology, have service factory manual, aftermarket transmission reference guides ond online info and videos. Seems very doable in my view.

What I am having a problem with and why I am considering it myself is it seems it will cost me 1-1.5K to rebuild. That is with the few who will take a walk in (and I understand why they limit that as well). With that they are only replacing all seals and clutches and servicing the valve body for my performance level. From what I can tell those parts are in the 3-500 range (that is being generous). It also assumes all hard parts are good and the build goes up from there. If I can do it for the 3-500 range, great. But if alot of my parts are bad inside and I can replace problem areas when in doubt for that I fell I am in a better place. Additionally, and the reason I am asking for sources is if I do decide to take on myself I want an avenue for replacement parts before starting. Basically wrap my head around the potential overall headache and price matrix.

My question centers on where to get the best overal selection of trans parts (rebuild kits, performance parts and hard parts if needed), ideally from a single vendor since I am basically leaving the locals out for parts. I have found a couple places online like SMR Transmissions and Transpartsonline and they seem to have a good selection on parts.

My engine is nothing  crazy. I am thinking in the 450-500 HP range. It's a 440, 6-Pack with around a 2800 stall converter. I want good upshifts in drive with moderate acceleration. However, when I stick my foot into it I want it to feel like I am getting down the road with sledge hammer on my back bumper with the manual shift of the gears. That is how my other car is and that is the standard I want for this car. No trans brake or reverse manual valve body stuff.

Any input for me to consider will help with my decision one way or another. I have a couple extra transmissions and will be taking one apart just to see if I can get it back together. I have taken them apart before in years past but that was only for the alum cores, no thoughts of ever reassembling. I have excellent mechanical skills, have an extensive tool inventory and very detail oriented.

Thanks in advance if you actually had/took the time to read this thread.

Monster Garage Montra - If you can't hear it before you see it, what's the point?

Leave the little people alone!

John_Kunkel

I get all my parts from Bulkpart, good quality at reasonable prices.

http://www.bulkpart.com/

Unless you go overboard on "tricks" you'll find it hard to spend over $300 in parts for a performance 727 build in the HP range you mention.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Orange Bird

That is what I am finding out and that is why I am having a hard time with it considering I am doing all the physical work. 1000-1500 for clutch pack and not much more than o rings, gaskets and springs seems excessive to me. When I started asking about planetary, pump and some of the other things they were simply "checked" for tolerances and visible signs of wear. I guess I assumed wrong they were an automatic swap. Again, I never claimed to know about them. Still doesn't mean I will do it right but I am a capable wrench and can think through things.

Thanks
Monster Garage Montra - If you can't hear it before you see it, what's the point?

Leave the little people alone!

greasyspider

That is precisely the reason I did mine myself. 1500 for a rebuild, 3-400 for a used one, or 100 bucks for a rebuild kit (at that time. I have no idea how much they are now.) and 10 bucks for a manual.  I figured even if I screwed it up, I could buy a used one and still save money.
'71 Plum Crazy  R/T