News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Jim Robbins Co.?

Started by bull, January 03, 2011, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Sorry for my arm rest base obsession lately but today I was looking at them and I noticed this little Jim Robbins Co. symbol cast into the plastic on the inside of one of the bases. I took a look at the three front bases I have and two have this symbol with no pentastar and the third has the pentastar with no Jim Robbins symbol. Other than the symbol and some extra letters/numbers on the Jim Robbins pieces, the bases are identical. All of my 10-inch rear bases (4) have the Pentastar. So WTH is Jim Robbins Co.?

Pic 1: Jim Robbins symbol
Pic 2: Pentastar arm rest base
Pic 3: Jim Robbins base

bull

Ha! Got you suckers stumped, eh? ;D

I can't find anything on it through Google. The closest thing I've seen is a James Robbins who used to operate the Jim Robbins Seat Belt Co. in Mount Clemens, MI starting back in '66 but I can't verify that it's the same guy. Maybe Chrysler used to farm this stuff out to him. :shruggy:

http://www.corporationwiki.com/Unknown/Unknown/jim-robbins-seat-belt-co-3598445.aspx

terrible one

Found this, looks like the same logo:

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/misc/49rob.html

And this, showing the logo trademarked and it describes goods and services as "PLASTIC PARTS FOR USE WITH VEHICLES-NAMELY, INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR TRIM, COWLINGS, WINDOW ROLLERS, SEAT BELT RETRACTOR AND BUCKLE COMPONENTS, CONSOLES, DOOR PANELS AND PILLARS"

http://www.trademarkia.com/company-jim-robbins-company-653369-page-1-2

charger2fast4u

I think you have a match good find terrible one  is the company no longer in business? It would be interesting if they would have a original mold and could remake them.  If they were still in business.

bull

Yes, good find. :2thumbs: Chrysler must have farmed some work out to this company at some point. I wonder when and what all they did? Sounds like the seat belt company is one in the same, at least in one form or another, since that second link mentions seat belts as one of the Jim Robbins products.

I was thinking the same thing about the arm rest base moulds but I guess it's kinda moot since they're being repopped. Now if this guy had done some 2nd gen grilles we'd be getting the FBI involved in a search for the moulds.

There's a little more info from that second link. Looks like the trademark was last active between 1971 and 1994: http://www.trademarkia.com/jim-robbins-co-72400043.html

Troy

I was looking through some of mine and all of my long ones have that logo.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

inspector58

:drool5:
Jim Robbins Company was an injection molding plant in Troy Michigan. It was started by Jim Robbins who also owned seat belt plants in Michigan and Knoxville Tennessee as well as other factories and businesses in the Detroit metro area. My mother worked there from 1958-1986 and was an inspector, so it was quite possible that she inspected these parts. :icon_smile_cool:
It was nice to see your pics of the stamping, I remember the logo>the sign with the little birds< quite well.
If you have any questions about the company, please let me know.
Donita
"inspector58"

terrible one

Quote from: inspector58 on May 14, 2011, 12:57:23 PM
:drool5:
Jim Robbins Company was an injection molding plant in Troy Michigan. It was started by Jim Robbins who also owned seat belt plants in Michigan and Knoxville Tennessee as well as other factories and businesses in the Detroit metro area. My mother worked there from 1958-1986 and was an inspector, so it was quite possible that she inspected these parts. :icon_smile_cool:
It was nice to see your pics of the stamping, I remember the logo>the sign with the little birds< quite well.
If you have any questions about the company, please let me know.
Donita
"inspector58"

Wow! Very interesting, thanks for signing up and posting that  :2thumbs:

bull

:2thumbs: Thanks for posting. I like learning all these little bits of history on our cars.

jaak

I was checking out my front armrest bases yesterday, they have the Jim Robbins logo instead of the Pentastar.

Jason

Aero426

Jim Robbins sponsored a number of race cars at Indianapolis and some notable Fords in 1968-70.     This is Lee Roy Yarbrough with Spoiler II after winning at Darlington in 1969.  

Aero426

Here's one of the open wheel cars with the rustic logo and birds.