News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Polishing aluminum WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!

Started by FLG, November 10, 2010, 10:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLG

Well I've been thinking, I sure hope the clear dosnt yellow but what about clear powder coating?

Called a company called andrews powder coating, seemed like nice folk. Girl told me they could powder coat the valve covers and it will still remain clear, she also said they shouldn't get hot enough to yellow.

Opinions?

Cooter

Oil gets pretty damn hot....Especially next to those two center exhaust ports...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bill440rt

Quote from: FLG on December 26, 2010, 01:19:55 PM
Bob440rt used eastwoods extreme clear on everything, you can't even see its on there. I plan on doing the same.

Bob??  :shruggy: :smilielol:

I did not clear my valve covers, though. I thought they were easy enough to polish on the car.
I'm just not sure how powder coating polished aluminum will alter the finish, or if it will stick to the smooth surface.
The clear is good to 600 degrees, resists oils, brake fluid, etc. My intake hasn't yellowed at all, then again I'm running Eddy heads with no heat crossover so the intake stays fairly cool. On all the other parts it has held up nicely.

Link:
http://www.eastwood.com/ew-extreme-diamond-clear-8-oz.html
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

FLG

Im sorry BILL!

Idk where my head was that day!

Hmmm...what to do?

Eh ill figure it out eventually LOL

I know the eastwoods clear works so that might be my best bet, if it yellows than its lesson learned and back to the drawing board.

Brads70

Brasso works pretty good with cotton balls so it won't scratch, but I agree with what others have said. It will start to oxidize  pretty quick.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasso You can get it anywhere, Walmart , grocery store, etc. orks good on Chrome too!