News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

using a newer manual bihind an older small block

Started by 68corazonetR/T, January 02, 2011, 08:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

will it bolt up to a 1968 318

from a new charger
3 (100%)
from a truck
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

elacruze

My '68 D200 is a 4-speed, but it's a np435 which is a granny-low very wide ratio trans. The bellhousing pilot hole and input shaft length are identical to an a833 OD, but the bolt patterns are different. I'll have to do some creative fabrication, or change over to a Lakewood bellhousing and weld some mount ears on it-truck bells have frame mounts instead of tailshaft mounts.
In any case, you surely don't want a np435.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

charger2fast4u

anyone know what the final OD gear ratio is on the A-833OD? is the OD trans similar the original 4 speeds that were factory in chargers just redesigned with a better final gear for highway cruising?

Troy

Quote from: charger2fast4u on January 11, 2011, 11:55:15 AM
anyone know what the final OD gear ratio is on the A-833OD? is the OD trans similar the original 4 speeds that were factory in chargers just redesigned with a better final gear for highway cruising?
It's a .73 final drive. The first link I posted above will answer your other question but, basically, the dimensions are the same on all A833 cases. Tail housings/shifter mounts differ by application. All 4 gear ratios are different on the OD versions (3rd is 1:1) to compensate for the larger spread.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68corazonetR/T

So apparently GM used the same trans.....anyone know if they are interchangeable or will I run into different tails and shafts?
Living with a conscience is like driving a car with the brakes on..... FLOOR-IT !!