News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973 Dodge Charger Coil Pick-up removal/installation

Started by irish_in_ny, January 01, 2011, 04:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_in_ny

Hello everyone, how do I remove the coil pick-up from a '73 Charger? I notice that there are 3 screws surrounding the outer shell of the housing but I am not sure if those are the right ones to take out. Any help would be appreciated.

Paul G

If my memory serves me correct you have to plull the reluctor wheel, star wheel, off the shaft first. A small cheap 3 jaw puller works well. Then you can get the plate off with those three screws. Good time to clean and lube everything inside there. 
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

flyinlow

Remove the rotor. Pull on or gently pry the reluctor off the shaft. Notice which way the arrow on the reluctor points for assembly. Remove the screws attaching the vacuum advance and remove. Two screws opposite each other that hold the the pick up plate, remove the plate. Install the new pick up indexing it to the roll pin in the distributor housing. Push the reluctor back on the shaft. (remember the arrow. The same reluctor is used in both SB and BB just flipped over) Re install Vacuum advance. Set the pick up to reluctor air gap to .008 " with a non magnetic (brass) feeler gage.

irish_in_ny

Thank you for the replies. Well it ends up that the pickup coil I am replacing was not installed right to begin with when it was put in years ago. Also the position of the screws are nearly impossible to reach with anything. Is there a way to remove the whole distributor? I notice 2 bolts that go into the engine, should those be unscrewed to remove the whole distributor? It needs more work than I thought so it might be better the remove the whole thing.

Thanks

Paul G

To remove the distributer there is 1 bolt on the hold down clamp, and the electrical plug to disconect. Before you pull the dizzy out try to mark it's position and notice which way the rotor is pointing. The dizzy shaft can go in two ways. Put it back the same way it came out, and dont turn the engine over with it out. Disconect the battery. You will have to re-set the timing after you put the dizzy back in.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

flyinlow

Sorry, slipped my mind you are working on a 318. Pretty tough to do will the distributor in the car. Crank the engine until the rotor points straight forward and remove the dist. You will need a timing light to reinstall .

Don't know what your goals are but this might be a good time to consider a new Mopar performance distributor. Adjustable timing curves and advances . At least clean and lube the advance mechanism on your old one.  :Twocents:

tatrick2me

Auto Zone still carries rebuilt small block dist. for around 50 bucks with your core.
Bone 7