News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thinking of putting an efi 5.9 or 5.7 hemi in my coronet....want overdrive

Started by 68corazonetR/T, December 31, 2010, 07:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

who has done this in thier B-Body?

standard
2 (50%)
auto
2 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 4

68corazonetR/T

Has anyone  converted their automatic small block b-body with using a 2wd ram or dakoda. I would like to go manual but I wonder what's involved and it's harder to find a complete truck to get everything from. Automatic is most likely an easier option. I am interested in hearing from anyone who has done this.
Living with a conscience is like driving a car with the brakes on..... FLOOR-IT !!

Troy

There are several threads in the Tech section. Basically, the 5.2/5.9 Magnum swap is much simpler. Those came with the A518 overdrive trans which will fit after modifying the trans cross member. Since these are basically the same as the older versions (except the heads) you can change over to carburetor the old style distributor or keep the EFI and computer.

The Hemi swap is more involved. You will have a tough time using the transmission but any of these engines will bolt up to any small block transmission. A 4-speed is certainly possible but if you keep the computer and electronics then you need to make sure you get one from a stick shift vehicle (or reprogram the PCM).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Rolling_Thunder

doing the hemi will be more money - obviously.....   

doing a 5.2L or 5.9L Maggie would be more cost effective....

Either way I would go with a manual transmission - The NAG1 trans the floor requires extensive modifications.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

chargerboy69

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on January 04, 2011, 11:57:46 AM

Either way I would go with a manual transmission - The NAG1 trans the floor requires extensive modifications.

This is true.  My best friend just finished up his 6.1 install, and he went with a automatic because his wife can not drive a stick.  The transmission tunnel took quite a beating.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: chargerboy69 on January 04, 2011, 01:30:03 PM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on January 04, 2011, 11:57:46 AM

This is true.  My best friend just finished up his 6.1 install, and he went with a automatic because his wife can not drive a stick.  The transmission tunnel took quite a beating.

He must really like his wife...

Either that or he's the world's laziest man - I taught my woman to drive a stick within 20 minutes.  (Not on the Charger.)