News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

We have primer!!

Started by lexxman, February 01, 2011, 09:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lexxman

Hey,there. I got to put some primer on the car today.This week I got it down to bare metal and tonight sprayed some etching primer.I was told the moocher can still get thought the primer and I should put a sealer coat on.Should I use epoxy or regular primer and Im going on vacation this weekend for a week,should I do it before I go?The car is in a heated garage. And I still have some filling to do.

jaak

Looks good  :2thumbs: You don't need to use sealer now, that is what you spray on right before paint. Most use an etching or epoxy....I prefer epoxy, just check your tech sheet on the etching primer you used.

Here's how I did it
1. epoxy primer (over bare metal)
2. all bondo/filler work (all filler started blocking with 36 grit finished with 80)
3. polyester primer (started blocking with 180...finished with 220)
4. urethane primer (blocked with 400)
5. urethane primer (wetsanded with 600)
6. paint

Note---I used a guide coat everytime I block sanded.

Jason

red79

Quote from: jaak on February 01, 2011, 10:23:30 PM
Looks good  :2thumbs: You don't need to use sealer now, that is what you spray on right before paint. Most use an etching or epoxy....I prefer epoxy, just check your tech sheet on the etching primer you used.

Here's how I did it
1. epoxy primer (over bare metal)
2. all bondo/filler work (all filler started blocking with 36 grit finished with 80)
3. polyester primer (started blocking with 180...finished with 220)
4. urethane primer (blocked with 400)
5. urethane primer (wetsanded with 600)
6. paint

Note---I used a guide coat everytime I block sanded.

Jason

sorry to hijack, but by a guide coat, do you mean a thin coat of a diff color primer to see where you haven't blocked yet?

lexxman

Hey. No problem,yes a guide is used so you tell were you high and low spots are.