News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

looking for stainless fender bolts?

Started by drifter69, December 30, 2010, 09:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drifter69

Anyone point me in the right direction. I would like to eliminate the posibilitys of rust and I think they would look nice. Not sure if they are out there or not. I know I can buy stainless bolts at the store but would like actual fender bolts.

Orange Bird

Try McMaster-Carr. If you can't find them there you won't find them. Most likely you will need a bolt and a washer as I don't believe they sell them as a single unit like the originals
Monster Garage Montra - If you can't hear it before you see it, what's the point?

Leave the little people alone!

charger Downunder

If your worried about rust put some grease on the threads. Paint the bolts and put them on with a six sided socket  to help prevent cracking the paint off.
[/quote]

AKcharger

charger2fast4u

does anyone have any pictures of there cars with stainless steel fender bolts? i'd like to see how they look on the car. i to was thinking of going this route with mine and wasn't sure where to get them at

Chatt69chgr

Most every good sized town has a bolt and screw place.  And your bigger towns usually have a mill supply that services the local industries.  These type places would be a good place to start.  Of course, everything can be ordered off the internet-----if you can determine who sells what you want. 

drifter69

Thanks guy's, I was just wondering if there was something factory looking or not. True Value here I come. :2thumbs:

knitz01

bull

What size and thread pitch are fender bolts?

Oh, BTW, don't substitute flange bolts for the correct captive washer fender bolts like one of my jackass body shop guys did. Once the serrated flange hits paint it digs into it and rips it off. You'd think you wouldn't have to tell a body shop guy stuff like this... :brickwall:

bull

You might not like the idea of using anything that would go on a Ford but http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/ sells stainless captive washer fender bolts that look like they match. Once I find the specific link I'll post it. From their reply email:

"Curtis,

The bolt is a 5/16-18 (Coarse Thread)  Head size - 1/2 socket.  With washer the width is 3/4.

Thank you for visiting our website.

Regards,
Michelle"

drifter69

I am interested, as far as it being a ford bolt, it wont be after I put it in my mopar. I am not sure on the correct size, my car is not close by for me to check. If I can put stainless fender bolts in I will be happy. I know I can buy stainless bolts but fender bolt is what I want. I will be waiting to see what you come up with.

bull

I need to see if she'll tell me the length of the bolts but the bolts I got in my fender kit match every other dimension she gave me above, although their washer might be about 1/16" smaller in diameter. Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/STAINLESS-STEEL-FENDERBODY-BOLTS-SET-OF-12-P3579C3460.aspx

drifter69

Thanks for the link. I will investigate more to see what I can get. Should be just the ticket. :2thumbs:

gtx6970

As close as whats currentlly avail,afaik

I can get them in packs of 25 for $25

bull

Quote from: gtx6970 on January 07, 2011, 03:02:51 PM
As close as whats currentlly avail,afaik

I can get them in packs of 25 for $25

Where?

Chatt69chgr

Bill-----Thanks for chasing these parts down.  Will you be offering them by way of your A&M High Tech Website? 

FLG

Bill,

Ill take a set, where can we order?

bull

Quote from: FLG on January 11, 2011, 01:41:16 PM
Bill,

Ill take a set, where can we order?

I couldn't find them on his website so you'll probably have to call him: 859-689-7893.
http://www.amhightechauto.com/

gtx6970

These are not a regular stocking item. as they are NOT anything close to OE which is what I prefer to stock.

call anytime during the day on my cell 859-992-3646

FLG

I'm more of a stray from stock, lol

As long as there correct in size for my 73 I'm fine with it, call ya in the am.

bull

Quote from: gtx6970 on January 11, 2011, 07:37:37 PM
These are not a regular stocking item. as they are NOT anything close to OE which is what I prefer to stock.

I hope they're somewhat close. Other than being stainless how different are they? What's the diameter of the captive washer?

Anyway, I tried calling today but you're not an easy man to get ahold of, Bill. :shruggy:

I'll post this for the others: sales@amhightechauto.com

gtx6970

5/16-18 thread count x 1.0" overall length , 1/2" Hex head, 7/8" Conical  washer diameter. main difference to me is there are NO head markings as the OE bolt whould have

most OE Mopar fender bolts are 5/16-18 and 7/8 overall length with either a 3/4" or 7/8" conical washer , so it's close , just not close enough for my primary customer base. Thus why I don't stock such an item.  There area lot of pieces I have avail , just choose not to stock because I'm not happy with the quality of such

A good example of this is the woodgrain shifter ball for console auto cars 69-72. I can get them but choose not to , 2 different companies make them and neither one is even close to original appearence

bull

I don't mind that they aren't marked but I don't like that the heads aren't cupped like the originals and those sold by the Mustang outfit I linked above. Your pics are showing that they're not cupped but I don't know if have you actually gotten some of these bolts or just a picture of them.

FLG

I dont mind cupped or non cupped (if were still talking about bolts  :rofl: :rofl: ) Ordered a set, will see em in 2 weeks when he gets em. How many fender bolts are there again? Will 25 do 2 cars?

bull

Quote from: FLG on January 12, 2011, 04:05:53 PM
I dont mind cupped or non cupped (if were still talking about bolts  :rofl: :rofl: ) Ordered a set, will see em in 2 weeks when he gets em. How many fender bolts are there again? Will 25 do 2 cars?

Well, it doesn't matter and it does. To me they should look like fender bolts at least instead of regular bolts and fender bolts have cupped heads. Otherwise I might as well buy regular stainless bolts and washers because it would look the same on the outside.

I believe there are 18 fender bolts per car so 25 is not enough for two.

FLG

Gotcha, actually looking at the image...it very well may be cupped...there seems to be a define line but well find out eventually  :shruggy:

bull

They aren't. You can tell in the image to the right that shows the side profile. The hex points are rounded off just like a regular bolt. But then who knows if what you end up with is actually what is pictured. Like you say, we'll find out when you get them. I'll let you be the guinea pig. :2thumbs:

charger2fast4u

Keep us updated and see how they are I may buy a set or acouple if they look alright installed. Will you be installing yours right away? If so post some pics if you can

FLG

Quote from: charger2fast4u on January 13, 2011, 12:42:09 AM
Keep us updated and see how they are I may buy a set or acouple if they look alright installed. Will you be installing yours right away? If so post some pics if you can

I only wish ill be installing mine right away  :RantExplode:

Not for some time.

gtx6970

I'll take a better / closeup pic when they come in

bull

gtx6970

Quote from: bull on January 28, 2011, 03:45:06 AM
Anything yet?
Franks shipped yesterday. But they are filled on the top as shown above

FLG

Yep there filled in, which as stated before...i dont mind, thanks Bill  :2thumbs:

Ill be getting in touch with you about the studs on the upper rad support that hold the hook latch, haven't had time to measure.

I did do the "magnet" test, with a strong magnet i got nada so they are good quality stainless  :2thumbs: