News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 intakes late 60's vs mid 70's vintage

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, December 29, 2010, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

Is there any performance difference between a stock 68,69 cast iron OEM 440 intake and a early to mid 70's smog OEM 440 cast iron intake?

Thanks,

Challenger340

Yep !
the later spread bore mid 70's intakes make MORE power, I think more to do with the larger cfm Carbs that are able to be applied ?

We did try an adaptor plate back in the day, to mate the 850 Thermo to the earlier Intake ?
We gained 60ft, but still lost E.T. & mph at the Track.

Just using the Later Intake & Bog Carb was still faster, even than a 850 Holley mated to the early Intake W/adaptor.

The Later Intakes are a Nice upgrade on the Earlier Engines.

IMO
Bob.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Cooter

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on December 29, 2010, 09:00:01 PM
Is there any performance difference between a stock 68,69 cast iron OEM 440 intake and a early to mid 70's smog OEM 440 cast iron intake?

Thanks,

How many you want? I got about 5 laying around..Cut you a deal on these boat anchors...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

FLG

71 intakes are known to be one of the best flowing  :2thumbs:

Sixt8Chrgr

How about a 75 intake? Do they flow good?

Thanks

firefighter3931

Quote from: FLG on December 30, 2010, 11:44:13 PM
71 intakes are known to be one of the best flowing  :2thumbs:

:iagree: The 70-71 4bbl manifold is the best factory piece ever made. The Dyno don't lie  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

flyinlow

Quote from: Challenger340 on December 30, 2010, 01:08:20 PM
Yep !
the later spread bore mid 70's intakes make MORE power, I think more to do with the larger cfm Carbs that are able to be applied ?

We did try an adaptor plate back in the day, to mate the 850 Thermo to the earlier Intake ?
We gained 60ft, but still lost E.T. & mph at the Track.

Just using the Later Intake & Bog Carb was still faster, even than a 850 Holley mated to the early Intake W/adaptor.

The Later Intakes are a Nice upgrade on the Earlier Engines.

IMO
Bob.

So my 76 Thermoquad intake and my 72 cop car intake are  high performance intakes if I block the EGR valve?  Never would of thought that.  I was just keeping them to store carbs on.