News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stranded Again!

Started by troutstreamnm, December 04, 2010, 07:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim Jhaixus

I'm having almost the same problem with my 3rd gen, exception being I have no lights, and almost everything is new. I'll keep checking yours for ideas, and even though they are different I'll be sure to post what fixed it.
"Scars" 1973 Base 318/904 Originally B5

Married on November 23rd, 2009
Fried all the electricals two weeks after purchase
Set on fire ~twice~
Overheated til it would diesel a full five minutes ~twice~

Never once didn't start, never stranded me, never once did not take me where I needed to go. Daily driver of 4+ years.

Currently undergoing 413/727 swap after I finally beat the 318 til it lost a headgasket. The kicker is the 318 still cranks and runs like nothing is wrong. I love my ca

troutstreamnm

I've ordered a new ignition switch and replacing the NS/backup light wire harness just for good measure (the old one was very brittle and cracked in several places, but tested OK).  Waiting on a lower steering column bushing now, but hope to get it all back together next weekend.  Will report back.
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

troutstreamnm

Quoteexception being I have no lights, and almost everything is new.

When I rewired my Charger, the only harnesses that I did not replace were the ignition switch, the NS/backup and the above head interior light.  Guess I got tired of paying for all the wiring and just got cheap...and you see what happens!

Grim, I would follow the same advise folks are giving me and start from the basics.  Make sure your battery and cables are good, test the alternator and check all your grounds.  Check your bulkhead connections, instrument gauges, and see if you're getting voltage into the connection with the ignition switch harness.  With your lights going out too that sound like a fundamental problem.  Anyway, Who am I to give advise!   :smilielol:   
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

Grim Jhaixus

Mine turned out to be an undone wire crimp on the wire that runs from the positive to the starter igniter. It looked like it was still hooked in, and I went by it like a hundred times before pulling on it.  :slap:

Hope you get yours figured out soon.

Set on fire ~twice~

Never once didn't start, never stranded me, never once did not take me where I needed to go. Daily driver of 4+ years.

Currently undergoing 413/727 swap after I finally beat the 318 til it lost a headgasket. The kicker is the 318 still cranks and runs like nothing is wrong. I love my ca

troutstreamnm

Congrats on the fix and thanks.  I hope to have it on the road before New Years!  :2thumbs:
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

troutstreamnm

OK, here's an update for those curious about the problem I was having with my 70 Charger.  Looks like the issue causing to car to die and have no response from the ignition may have simply been a poor main power wire connection at the colunm.  Ended up replacing the ignition switch, but had to cut the main "red" power wire and splice in a connector (my previous ignition wiring harness had a connector spliced into the wire so I went ahead and just connected into that line with the new ignition wiring).  Apparently, the connection was good for a several drives, but when it loosened, it killed all power instantly in the ignition switch circuit.  Finally figured out what was going on when I was moving the colunm wire harnesses and noticed the parking light going on and off and narrowed it down to the main power connection.  I cut the old connector and spliced in a 10-12 gauge butt connector and the car started right up.  However, the car stalled again when I shook the wiring so I really crimped down on the connector and it seems OK.  I'm tempted to just solder the wires together and screw the connector all together.  Is there a quality connector I should use for this main power wire?  Apparently it is critical to have a solid connection with this wire.  FYI and thanks
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

flyinlow

Glad you found it  :2thumbs:.

Quality crimp splices ( NAPA) , the correct size and crimped at the correct place with a quality crimping tool (Klein) usually work well. Avoid putting them in areas subject to vibration and stress on the wire if possible. And of course test the crimp by pulling on the wires.

b5blue

NAPA has the crimping tool, the one that folds and compresses the tangs like factory. (45.00) My guys gave me their NAPA Accessory catalog to keep and use. I solder the crimp then clean the flux off real well, then coat it with anti-oxide grease before reinserting it in the plastic connector housing. Waytek, inc. is another excellent source for anything automotive wiring.  www.waytekwire.com   :2thumbs:

Grim Jhaixus

Set on fire ~twice~

troutstreamnm

I also found a black wire on the ignition harness connector that was loose and it too would kill the engine when you moved it.  Lesson learned...aftermarket harnesses connectors cannot be trusted  :cussing:  However, I think I've found all the problems so the Charger should be back on the road tomorrow!  :2thumbs:
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

nvrbdn

good job tracking down the problem :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House