News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Taxes

Started by Road Dog, December 15, 2010, 01:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITSA426

I'm in, and I have a fair understanding of how government works.  Which part should we stop?  Helping our citizens here, helping citizens in other countries, rewarding US companies for sending US jobs out of the country, $200 million/day in a country most people can't spell fighting for a cause we can't clearly identify, hiring mercenaries, building infrastructure here, local services like street maintenance (and plowing here this time of year), educating our young to live in their society so they can pay down our debt to foreign countries.  There's just so much.... 

A good place to start might be to lay off congressmen when unemployment hits 5% in their district, but that's not realistic.  Certainly they shouldn't get their automatic pay raises if there's not even enough economic growth for those freeloaders on social security to get a $20/mo raise.

As a Vietnam veteran, I propose a specific war tax, with a no deferment draft, if we really feel strongly enough to send our children into harm's way.  Everyone should feel some sacrifice.  No off-budget BS like last time - show the cost.

We should call lobbying contributions what it really is - bribery. 

For our government to run the citizens should be limited to breathing entities, not incorporated ones, and everyone should have skin in the game.  I get involved so I can have a say in where the money goes.  I probably said too much, but the fact is, I count it as a blessing that I can pay taxes.  Blessings are best when shared.

tricky lugnuts

He probably has to pay taxes on his car every year as part of the umbrella property taxes - some states tax property, as in land and house, and ALL belongings located thereon and therein . . .

Hence the old CCR song, Fortunate Son, "when the tax man comes, lord it looks like a rummage sale . . ." Because he's trying to liquidate inventory quick at the last minute.

Here in Indiana, in my county, property taxes are super low, but we pay unreal amounts of money to register a car.

In Ohio I paid about $70 for a new set of license plates and registration - about $40-50 per year to re-register after that.

In Indiana, for a 2003 Honda Accord with 85,000 miles it cost about $400 a year to register. They base the cost of your vehicle registration on the original purchase price of the vehicle - sort of a perpetual sales tax. My Charger was only about $150 per year.

I agree taxes are simply getting out of hand, and the governments at every level are all still broke and scrounging for more.

I'm not rich. I only make about $27K a year. And it's to the point where I'm paying as much if not more in taxes every month than I do to put a roof over my head and food on my table . . . And aside from roads and a broke Social Security Trust Fund, I ain't seeing much in the way of a return on investment.

ITSA426

It seems like every state collects about the same money but from different sources.  Here, license tabs on a new car are over $300/yr but only $41.50 if you car is ten years old; and property taxes can be killers if you have a decent house. You pay to register snowmobiles and boats and about any other fun stuff.  Hell, you have to have a cross country skiing license no test, just pay up. 

The political arguments are always over who pays, and who gets the benefit of the money collected.  My butt burns just thinking of a recent sales tax increase to buy the richest family in the state a baseball park, so now the other rich visitor want more tax dollars to build his business a football stadium. 

Taxes alone aren't a bad thing, and I don't mind paying a fair share for the benefit we receive.  It's the abuse of the public spending that irritates people.  Hope we're not too political yet.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: ITSA426 on December 18, 2010, 03:24:25 PM
It seems like every state collects about the same money but from different sources.  Here, license tabs on a new car are over $300/yr but only $41.50 if you car is ten years old; and property taxes can be killers if you have a decent house. You pay to register snowmobiles and boats and about any other fun stuff.  Hell, you have to have a cross country skiing license no test, just pay up. 

The political arguments are always over who pays, and who gets the benefit of the money collected.  My butt burns just thinking of a recent sales tax increase to buy the richest family in the state a baseball park, so now the other rich visitor want more tax dollars to build his business a football stadium. 

Taxes alone aren't a bad thing, and I don't mind paying a fair share for the benefit we receive.  It's the abuse of the public spending that irritates people.  Hope we're not too political yet.

Where do you live?
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

ITSA426

Under a boatload of snow in Minnesota.  No more snow due until tomorrow, when the Vikes play Da Bears in Da snow cause their roof fell in.  I'm not even a fan.

7dcharger

Strange... I paid $33 taxes on my 1970 in Mecklenburg county this April.

ITSA426

You don't do a lot of snow plowing in NC I'm guessing.  Here the cities just declared their fifth snow emergency of the season and we are already close to breaking snowfall records with our snow season less than half over.  We are struggling to find places to pile the stuff.  I don't mind paying road taxes for good highways and services. 

I was hoping the Twins baseball team was going to move down there, like they threatened, if we didn't build them a ball park.  That would have dodged some of the sales tax increase here.

Khyron

I would say if they value it at that, tell them to buy it... take the money and but one thats done ;-)

see, glass half full ;-)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Road Dog

Quote from: Khyron on December 21, 2010, 02:41:35 PM
I would say if they value it at that, tell them to buy it... take the money and but one thats done ;-)

see, glass half full ;-)
I said that and they said "Sir, the county is not in the business of buying cars". I said "Well there ya go , If ya were, You would know what the real prices were for these cars". :shruggy:
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

Khyron

ask em what "cash for clunkers" was all about... I think they are mistaken LOL

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Aussie R/T

If my R/T was anywhere near on the road and because it's over 30 years old rego is just over 100 bucks per year {or was last time I paid with my old car} and full insurance to drive car 8k a year is 200.So yea the value of the car is not reflected in the rego only the amout the car is insured for.

Like you said they don't buy and sell cars so they have no idea what it's worth having said that is the car insured and how much for might be able to use the insurace value as a guide.When the bank was assessing the value of my assets I said my R/T was insured for 40k and they accepted that as gospel. 

Polygon

QuoteI live in Ohio and we pay taxes on the car when we transfer the title

Here in Florida, there is a little known 'gift law'.

My dad gave me his Caprice, No taxes, just a tag.

I gave it to my son in the Navy, same thing.

(It may be just between relatives, not sure)
www.lostinspaceforum.com

If you like the old TV show, Lost In Space, check out my page

Road Dog

And get this (ya'll like this) according to their "Experts" and "Sources" my car in top condition is worth 78,000 bucks. :smilielol:
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

1970Moparmann

Hate to say this, but once our wonderful government really go green, I have a good feeling these "taxes" are going to sky rocket.   F - them.  Big government, less liberties......... More liberties, smaller government! :scratchchin:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Polygon on December 21, 2010, 10:54:44 PM
QuoteI live in Ohio and we pay taxes on the car when we transfer the title

Here in Florida, there is a little known 'gift law'.

My dad gave me his Caprice, No taxes, just a tag.

I gave it to my son in the Navy, same thing.

(It may be just between relatives, not sure)

Mass has the same thing. You can swap cars between immediate family members with no sales tax.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Wicked72

My fam all moved to NC. Suckers have to pay and deal with all the crap there so I know what ya mean. BTW in NC theres no snow plows! GOOD LUCK! hahahaha
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected