News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tuff decision what would you do?

Started by 7chargers, December 24, 2010, 01:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7chargers

So I'm thinking of parting with one of my two 68 chargers. I know its almost like given up one of your children. Well my reasoning is that I'm contiplating on buying a 2011 Dodge Challenger RT Classic. I wish I could afford to keep all but I fiqure selling one of the chargers would help off set the cost. Both 68's are project cars that need finishing but I could sell one to get a nice down payment to lower the blow of the new Challenger.

Would you do it? I will still have my Coronet and one of the 68 Chargers I would just be adding a new Challenger in the process.

Tuff decision... :shruggy:

1968_Charger

i couldn't part with my 68 for a new challenger. but i only have one. if i had two that would be a different story. id gladly get rid of one to have a new challenger.  :Twocents:

i dont see how anyone would rather have two of the same car, than two different cars. even though we are talking about a 68 charger!

PA Dodger

You say both '68s are project cars. I don't know how fast you work but what are the chances you would finish both cars anytime soon? I see snow on the car in your avatar. What will be left of the second car by the time you get around to restoring it? I think you would benefit by selling a project to fund the new Chally. A '68Coronet,'68 Charger, and '11 Challenger would be a nice garageful.
I have a '69 Charger and a '70 Challenger. As much as I love both cars there is something to be said for jumping in a new musclecar and driving it across the country if you get the urge without giving it a second thought.  I wouldn't sell either of my cars. But if I had the resources I'd be roadtripping in a new Plum Crazy Purple Chally right now.  
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

68X426

Quote from: PA Dodger on December 24, 2010, 02:20:28 PM
You say both '68s are project cars. I don't know how fast you work but what are the chances you would finish both cars anytime soon? I see snow on the car in your avatar. What will be left of the second car by the time you get around to restoring it? I think you would benefit by selling a project to fund the new Chally. A '68Coronet,'68 Charger, and '11 Challenger would be a nice garageful.
I have a '69 Charger and a '70 Challenger. As much as I love both cars there is something to be said for jumping in a new musclecar and driving it across the country if you get the urge without giving it a second thought.  I wouldn't sell either of my cars. But if I had the resources I'd be roadtripping in a new Plum Crazy Purple Chally right now.  

:iagree:

Life's too short. I'd give up a child (errr Charger) right now for an '11 Challenger.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 68X426 on December 24, 2010, 02:50:58 PM
Quote from: PA Dodger on December 24, 2010, 02:20:28 PM

Life's too short. I'd give up a child (errr Charger) right now for an '11 Challenger.

I agree nothing like a classic car goes the same for new Muscle. Go for it. On top of it the car you would be selling is a project car. Wish I could by a new Muscle car. Do it!!!!
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

elacruze

I'd keep the Old cars and buy an old pickup to go with them.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Belgium R/T -68

Aren't the new challengers dropping in price once you signed the contract just like any new car?
Would love to have one but would never sell any of my "classic" musclecars to get it.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

bull

I'd probably do it for a Challenger. I wouldn't trade a rusty wheelbarrow for the new "Charger" but for a Challenger I'd try to work something out. At least you'd get to drive a cool car instead of watching two cool cars sit still.

The70RT

As long as you got one Charger get the Chally if you can swing it  :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Scaregrabber

I wouldn't sacrifice anything to buy a new car. You'll be selling an appreciating asset to buy a depreciating asset. However I think in your case you should consider selling both project cars and looking for a done Charger even if you have to kick in a bit of cash. Or sell one project so you can get something done on the other project.

Sheldon

7chargers

I'm kind of thinking of selling one exspecially after your responses, I have a blast driving my 68 coronet while my chargers are getting worked on, I fiqured adding a 2011 with some of the new paint schems you can order might be worth it. I was thinking of waiting until the end of 2011 just to hope and get some of the good rebates they are currently offering on the 2010. Since where I live we currently have 18inches of snow on the ground  with it snowing now. So setteling for 2010 not getting what I want and not be able to drive it until the spring will make the 2011 worth the wait and the rebates??

Is is just me or did Dodge do it right with the Challenger, can't seem to clear the bug of wanting to buy one
exspecially after seeing one at the local dodge dealership when we bought our Journey.

The70RT

If any car will hold it's value better or maybe be worth something someday it will be the Challenger I would think. Of course it will probably never be worth what you bought it for. If you buy a new truck for 35K then what's it worth in 20 years....nothing. Hell later on after it's paid for and you used the hell out of ot you can probably sell it and go get another driver 2ed gen 10-15 years from now. You only live once go get what you want.....Merry Christmas!
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Daytona R/T SE

So, is anybody actually buying project cars right now ?  :shruggy:

You might be disappointed in how much you can get if you do try to sell it.

NHCharger

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on December 25, 2010, 12:34:27 AM
So, is anybody actually buying project cars right now ?  :shrug:

Oh yeah. I've been looking for a 68 project for a while.
The problem is the condition of the project. When someone primes the entire car to cover all the rust, happens to mention it's missing the drivetrain (and it's a SB), and a mouse ate the entire interior and still wants 11k firm, I'll pass.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

b5blue

Are you going into debt or buying outright? Payments and the extra cost of insuring would in my case stop all hope of a restoration in the long run. Now is the worst time ever to sell any "collectible" if anything it's time to buy. I vote no. 

FlatbackFanatic

Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

clanton

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

oldcarnut

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on December 25, 2010, 12:34:27 AM
So, is anybody actually buying project cars right now ?  :shruggy:

You might be disappointed in how much you can get if you do try to sell it.

I think this about applies to done cars too.  I think it would be nice to be able to hop into a new Chally and drive with not much maintenance issues.  Sometimes I think I'd be better off just buying a new one when I think about all the work and time that's gone by while restoring the old one and just having it sit there to look at.  Sure there is going to be some depreciation on the new one but multiply your time your going to spend fixing up the other by an hourly wage your not likely to get back either.  I love to do my own work and that's part of the hobby to be able to say yeah I did it myself but sometimes the downtime of no driving gets to me.

Back N Black

If buying a new chally slows the progress on the 68, i would not go for it. But if you have a nice running 68, it would be cool to have the new challenger.

7chargers

Yeah both of the 68 Chagers are projects, good cores but like any midwest charger it has it fair amount of rust issues.  One of them is numbers matching complete and have most replacment parts for. The other is a 383 car but non matching numbers and missing some interior. I wouldn't consider it if I only had one but with the coronet and the 2 chargers I might be willing to part with one. Like one post  said the time and effort going into them and me in prime working age with a young family hampers the ability to go out in the shop and work hours on the chargers. It would be fun to have the Chally the coronet and have the Charger sitting patently when I have more time to do the work. Thanks for the imput guys.

twodko

BnB echoed what I was thinking. Are both Chargers running? Is one of your cars in much better shape than the others? Was the second Charger bought as a "parts car" to resto the other? Is your Coronet a plain Jane or is it an R/T? Which would you really keep - Charger/Coronet? If you're in the black right now? Would buying a new Chally put you in debt? The economy demands prudent thinking here. I'd like to say "go for it because you only live once" but I just can't.
If you have your heart set on a new Chally and you can't cash it out, you need to sell a couple of your current assets. Hard decisions Bro. Your 2011 thinking is wise I think but if it were me I'd keep the best of the 3 you have. Use the cash from selling the other 2 to finish the car you keep OR buy a 2011 Chally. Making car payments blows, the minute you drive the car off the lot you've lost $3000 - $5000 depending on purchase price! Unless you're making good money at your job car payments will make it even more difficult to find the money to restore the car you keep. We'd love to have a new Challenger in our garage too but its just not worth the financial burden. Think future not present.......large impulse buys are often regretted.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Cooter

First thing first, You say "Project" car....This means you might not get even enough out of the '68 to even make a big dent in that new Challenger....

Then, you will be looking at car payments taking money away from your other '68 build....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

tracpack440

Hi. If your buget is tight  i would do is hold off on buying a new challenger. The money you would pay for a car payment + insurance you can use for your project.  I like the new challengers but i think cruising a 68 charger or coronet restored would be better.  Having to pay $600 or more a month + insurance is just wrong.  :popcrn:
1969 Charger  R/T SE 4 spd dana

tricky lugnuts

Do what will make you happiest and what makes the most financial sense.

If it's going to be years before you're able to restore the Charger in question, and you think you can sell it to make enough money to get the Challenger and make it affordable, go for it!

I'd only do it if I could get a fair price for the project car though, and if buying the Challenger didn't permanently sideline the restoration of the other Charger, because given the choice between a new Challenger and a 1968 Charger, I'd go with the latter.

And as others have said, I can imagine that a car payment of anything over $500 per month, plus full-coverage insurance, would be able to really cramp things up - and assuming you go all out and get the SRT8, you're looking at lots of payments.

That's the other factor here - what kind of Chally do you plan to buy? Maybe wait a couple years and get a used one?

Cooter

A Word on used Challengers...Most (If their owners bought them for what they were meant to do with over 400 HP) are gonna be like buying a used 5.0 Mustank...Rode hard, and put up wet...IE: Beat all to hell before the bank came and got it...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"