News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

LOOKING AT 68 CHARGER - NEED $ CHECK

Started by RallyeMike, December 23, 2010, 12:39:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RallyeMike

Going to look at a 68 tomorrow and need a price check. I have been into 3rd gen B's for too long and don't have good grounding anymore on 2nd gens:

1968 Charger, in primer, orig. 383 car now with 440/727/Dana 60.
Black bucket interior with console in pretty good condition. Runs and drive great. Complete "driver" quality car.
Some rust in trunk floor, bubbles in the lower quarters behind the tire, but otherwise no rust, good glass, with 2 new AMD fenders and hood (stated to NOT be caused by a major collision).

The guy has had two deals fall through due to lack of coming up with cash on the buyers part for probably around 13-13.5k.

Deal or no deal?

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

RallyeMike

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Dans 68

Quote from: RallyeMike on December 23, 2010, 12:57:02 AM
You don't count.  :cheers:

;)  Funny.

I would say, without photos to look at, it is probably priced fairly. Paying less is always better, of course, but if it is generally solid and mechanically sound it seems a fair deal. Post some shots when you can.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bull

Hey Mike, there was (maybe still is) one of those 383/2bbl/4spd 68s for sale up in your area. IIRC the guy wanted $8k-$9k but I can't recall if it had running gear. It was on craigslist but I don't see it now.

There's this one too (which you've probably seen) for $11k: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/2115186693.html

IMO $13k is too steep for what you're describing.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: bull on December 23, 2010, 02:44:27 AM
Hey Mike, there was (maybe still is) one of those 383/2bbl/4spd 68s for sale up in your area. IIRC the guy wanted $8k-$9k but I can't recall if it had running gear. It was on craigslist but I don't see it now.

There's this one too (which you've probably seen) for $11k: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/2115186693.html

IMO $13k is too steep for what you're describing.

That 383 4spd hasn't been listed since early fall if it's the one I am thinking of. The one for 11k has been up for several months now and I believe started around 15k. What you describe sounds a bit high to me as well but YMMV.

There is a guy in the Portland area that is a flipper and gets at least one charger through his lawn every month. He always posts to craigs list and I think his email is chargerbuyer at yahoo... He is also the guy that keeps posting wanted ads in the for sale sections..  :brickwall:  Not sure if that is in your area or not.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

chargermike

sounds a little high. 7 to 7.5 seems about right. just keep looking there are deals out there

69charger2002

i don't think the economy has tanked these cars quite that MUCH.. $7-8K for a nice driver with minimal rust and 440/727/Dana 60?? Come on now, i'd buy a car like that for $7-8k all day long as fast as i could find them. i think based on what you're describing and without pics 13k sounds about right.

trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

RallyeMike

Well, opinions are all over the place  :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

QuoteThere's this one too (which you've probably seen) for $11k: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/2115186693.html

Thanks for the tip Bull - I looked at that car in passing last summer. The metal work is not to my liking, and the car is missing lots of parts and do-dads. While I can basically assemble a couple of third gens out of my parts garage, I got rid of ALL the 2nd gen stuff 10 years ago after I sold my 70. I'll be waaaaay ahead buying a running, complete car with minimal rust. The 11k car is worth maybe a little more than 1/2 that in my (outdated, uninformed) opinion.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

SRT-68

This sounds like a good deal. A complete driver with minimal rust is getting harder to find. You will save in the long run.

NHCharger

I've been looking for a 68 for six months. I agree with Travis on this one.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Aussie R/T

No deal 13 sounds a bit high.Just figger in what you think it will cost for a coat of paint and a tidy up I'm down around 10 that leaves you 10k to tidy it up with you doing the stripping leaving most of that for paint of course.To test it out have a look and see what you can buy with a nice paint job as a driver.Don't forget to figger in you time driving instead of working on it.

bull

I know you know this but hearing it again can never hurt: what shows up as a little rust on the outside is often a lot on the inside. However, if it's spent most of its life in the NW chances are it's not too bad off.

Soooo, when will we see some pics? That would sure help.

bull

Quote from: bakerhillpins on December 23, 2010, 08:28:23 AM
There is a guy in the Portland area that is a flipper and gets at least one charger through his lawn every month. He always posts to craigs list and I think his email is chargerbuyer at yahoo... He is also the guy that keeps posting wanted ads in the for sale sections..  :brickwall:  Not sure if that is in your area or not.

That flipper guy here in Portland hasn't come up with much in a while. He always runs ads looking for them but I haven't seen him selling anything but parts for quite some time.

41husk

WoW!  a few months back I sold my 68 383 8 3/4 4brl ror 19k.  This car was not a trailor queen but a very nice driver.  It won several local car shows and seldom failed to bring home a trophy.  I had it listed at 25k and thought it was worth it all day.  The car you described would take 10k to get to the condition of my car.  I bet you can find a finished one for 20k or less and save 2-5k :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

RallyeMike

The car turned out to be a decent project, solid and straight from the doors forward, but not really what I was looking for at the price range or in terms of a driver-project. Anticipated  quarter patches were really needing to be 1/2 quarters, the solid rear window channel was fiber-glassed and bondoed, the Dana 60 was an 8-1/4. 1972 std 440 with the low-P exhaust manifolds and the top of the radiator brace sawed off.  Sorry, no pics - it was dark. 

Thanks for the input. 
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Aussie R/T

bull

Bummer. I always prefer things to be better than expected than worse. :2thumbs: Oh well. Now you get to keep shopping.

SRT-68

You had to try. You have a high enough budget that you should be able to get a real nice driver. These projects are a lot easier if you start with a complete, running car. It will save you a bunch of money down the road.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: bull on December 23, 2010, 08:02:27 PM
That flipper guy here in Portland hasn't come up with much in a while. He always runs ads looking for them but I haven't seen him selling anything but parts for quite some time.

Just last week (maybe 2 ago) he had a 68 R/T survivor (put in a garage in 79) with all papers but a blown engine for 15K. Red with black interior and black stripe. Looked good and moved in 2 days. He has had one or 2 other that looked decent but I never got anyone out there to look at it as they moved to quick. Plenty of junk too. I wonder if we are talking about the same guy?

Quote from: 41husk on December 23, 2010, 08:23:47 PM
WoW!  a few months back I sold my 68 383 8 3/4 4brl ror 19k.  This car was not a trailor queen but a very nice driver.  It won several local car shows and seldom failed to bring home a trophy.  I had it listed at 25k and thought it was worth it all day.  The car you described would take 10k to get to the condition of my car.  I bet you can find a finished one for 20k or less and save 2-5k :Twocents:

Wasn't that a year ago? I started looking around Jan last year and yours already sold as I recall being wicked pissed I missed it. It was blue with white interior correct?  :drool5:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.