News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WIW 72 Gran Torino

Started by Silver R/T, December 21, 2010, 07:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

This is local car. 72 Gran Torino Sport
400 engine, 75,000 original miles, factory by the numbers, runs good.damage in rear fender
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Grim Jhaixus

I was looking at a Torino as a kind of "Ford Charger" when I couldn't find my 3rd gen, which I eventually did. Fantastic beautiful cars. They have better steering, rear-ends and wires but are about 2000lbs heavier. I don't know much about 400s, I had already bought a BB429 for a previous project. I'd say go for it, but then I came to Mopar from Ford and I really can't say too much bad about them.
"Scars" 1973 Base 318/904 Originally B5

Married on November 23rd, 2009
Fried all the electricals two weeks after purchase
Set on fire ~twice~
Overheated til it would diesel a full five minutes ~twice~

Never once didn't start, never stranded me, never once did not take me where I needed to go. Daily driver of 4+ years.

Currently undergoing 413/727 swap after I finally beat the 318 til it lost a headgasket. The kicker is the 318 still cranks and runs like nothing is wrong. I love my ca

miller

Quote from: Grim Jhaixus on December 21, 2010, 08:19:29 PM
I was looking at a Torino as a kind of "Ford Charger" when I couldn't find my 3rd gen, which I eventually did. Fantastic beautiful cars. They have better steering, rear-ends and wires but are about 2000lbs heavier. I don't know much about 400s, I had already bought a BB429 for a previous project. I'd say go for it, but then I came to Mopar from Ford and I really can't say too much bad about them.

I hope you mean 200lbs! :nana:

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

Grim Jhaixus

Wow, bad info. TBirds are 5800, Torinos were near the same weight.

Set on fire ~twice~

Never once didn't start, never stranded me, never once did not take me where I needed to go. Daily driver of 4+ years.

Currently undergoing 413/727 swap after I finally beat the 318 til it lost a headgasket. The kicker is the 318 still cranks and runs like nothing is wrong. I love my ca

learical1

72 Torino's are body on frame cars, no longer unibodies like the 62-71 Fairlane/Torinos.  they are heavier, but not as heavy as a t'bird.  the 400 is a cleveland design motor, with 2 barrel cleveland heads and a 2 barrel carb.  advance the cam 4 degrees, throw a 4bbl manifold and carb on it; that'll wake up a 400 quick.
Bruce

Grim Jhaixus

If 400 was part of the 335 "Cleveland" series then that should be a fun motor. I know the 351Cs were lead fuel motors, and you had to get lead additives for better power and durability and those motors would wind up scary fast. Had one in a 73 Cougar XR7, bright red. Hated the nose on it.

Set on fire ~twice~

greenpigs

The last couple motors that won in the PHR engine builder series were based on the 400 Ford, think it was a Kafful-sic- who was the builder.

I love the look of the fastback Torinos from then, I would pay $4500 or maybe a little more if it was mostly rust free. I don't think the 400 car is as collectable as say a 351 Cleveland 4 speed which is what most people will think of for prices. I have some of those go for 18K+ but they were "restored".

Not the same but an has a 74 Gand Torino that is a Q code which is the 351 Cleveland HI PO version that year, still a dog because of the HUGE intake ports & weight.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

TruckDriver

Mine when I had it had a 351SCJ in it. It was a fassssst car. I never had any problem getting it up to 120. :icon_smile_wink: I'd love to have that one.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Silver R/T

Quote from: Grim Jhaixus on December 22, 2010, 04:01:16 PM
http://www.ehow.com/list_7447958_1972-gran-torino-vehicle-specifications.html
According to this 72 Torino is 3,470 lbs, which is lighter than Charger
Btw guy is asking $1500obo for it. It's not for myself but for my younger brother, he likes muscle cars. I thought it would be fun project for him vs a ricer.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

71charger_fan

The '72 Torinos were hot looking with the fastback. Kind of one year only though. They switched to that ugly flattened front end in '73.

Grim Jhaixus

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 22, 2010, 08:51:55 PM
Btw guy is asking $1500obo for it. It's not for myself but for my younger brother, he likes muscle cars. I thought it would be fun project for him vs a ricer.

A 302 Torino maybe?

Set on fire ~twice~

Silver R/T

Quote from: Grim Jhaixus on December 22, 2010, 10:51:26 PM
Quote from: Silver R/T on December 22, 2010, 08:51:55 PM

A 302 Torino maybe?

You think 400 would make a lot of weight difference?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_335_engine
"The 400 was seen as a smaller and lighter replacement for the big Ford 385 engines, the 429 and 460, in Ford's big cars. Weighing just 80% of a similar big block, it was originally available in Ford's Custom, Galaxie and LTD lines, and in Mercury Monterey, Marquis, and Brougham. Later, it would power the Ford Thunderbird, the Lincoln Continental, Mark V, mid-size Fords and Mercurys, and Ford light-duty trucks."
So they're saying it's basically a stroker that weighs less than big block of similar size.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Cooter

IMO, there's only one way to go when dealing with Fords....557 C.I. ..."385" series 460 Stroker...351C Engine? Not a BAD engine, just suffered from the same fate as the ill concieved BOSS 302 ...Too much Head (4BBL-351C) and not enough bottom end. Read: No Torque...351M and 400M suffered from the same problems that plagued the 400 Chrysler and the later 440's...

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Grim Jhaixus

The real issue for the 351C was the end of leaded gasoline.

And if SilverR/T had ever seen a 335 series motor he'd know no what I meant. According to Wikipedia the world elephant population was 200% thanks to the contribution of Stephen Colbert and the only difference between a big block and a small block is C.I.D.

A "big block" is literally A BIG BLOCK. A Chrysler 360 LA is a whole lot smaller than a Ford 351C.

Set on fire ~twice~

Silver R/T

The big-block FE engine family was getting outdated, and the 385 family could not meet the efficiency requirements of the time. At the same time, the small-block Windsor engines were too small and high-revving for Ford's fullsize car and truck applications. So the company went to work on a new small-block to meet the desired levels of economy while still providing the kind of big-block torque that was needed to move 2+ ton vehicles.

The Ford 400 engine was based on the 351 Cleveland but was produced with a taller deck height of 10.297 inches compared to the 351C's 9.206 inches. This allowed for a longer stroke while retaining the 351C's rod-stroke ratio. These blocks also share the same oiling route in the block. The 400 also featured larger (Windsor sized 3.00 inch with Cleveland cap register) main-bearing journals and had "square" proportions, with a 4.0 in (102 mm) bore and stroke; it therefore displaced 402 cu in (6.6 L), making it the largest small-block V8 made at that time. It was introduced in model year 1971 with a full half-inch (12.7 mm) longer stroke than the 351 Cleveland, making it the longest-stroke Ford pushrod V8 engine. A long-stroke engine has good low-end torque. This was a good compromise given Ford's requirement for an engine to power heavier mid-size and full-size cars and light trucks. The M-block, as it later became known, was the last pushrod V8 block designed by Ford. The M-block also shares some elements with the Windsor engine family: bore spacing, cylinder head bolt-patterns and crankshaft journal dimensions.[3]

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TK73

The Sport (fastback) is WAY COO!!

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

TruckDriver

My old '72. Paid $75. for it in the mid '80s. Would love to own another one.
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Silver R/T

That one's straight from Clint Eastwoods movie :)

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TruckDriver

Yea it is. I ended up selling it to another guy who had a coupe, and he parted it for the engine to replace his 302, and the rest of the drive train, and the hood. I sold it knowing he was going to do it. I got like a $150 after beating it to death for about two years. But it took everything I put it through.

I still haven't seen the movie yet, but I do finally own it. So, I'll see it next week finally.
PETE

Grim Jhaixus

Set on fire ~twice~

TK73

2011 Hot Wheels did a '72 in green:

TK73

PS; good luck finding one right now, the F-IN Hot wheels goobersmackers buy 'em all up and throw on eBag. 
      Glad I got one before the HW tards cleaned out the shelf.

TruckDriver

PETE

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TK73

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 24, 2010, 09:57:40 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/2011-Hot-Wheels-1972-Ford-Gran-Torino-Sport-NEW-MODEL-/170582294725?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b77f40c5

SCREW the scalpers on eBag.

That Hot Wheel is a CURRENT release and the tards are snaggin 'em up before anybody else gets 'em.  Been lookin for a 2nd one for months and they are all gone from the shelves.

Don't pay more than $1 for a current release.