News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 rebuild

Started by nrt69, December 20, 2010, 08:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrt69

Howdy,

New to this forum....

I have a 69 Charger with a 318. The motor has over 110k miles on it and, according to my neighbor, it probably has a bad lifter. I always thought I would put a Mopar Performance 360 crate motor in it when it came time, but now that im ready, i realize that Mopar no longer makes those crate motors. I want the rebuild to be easy and cheap so im thinking about rebuilding the 318 since ive had such good luck with that motor and it is very dependable. Id like to get at least 300hp out of the rebuild. I was thinking about using Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, intake and cam.  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-60779
Does anyone on this forum have a tried and true 318 build up I could copy? Has anyone discussed this topic already and can refer me to a specific thread?

Thanks!

chargd72

Welcome to the site.

There are a few 318 buildups going on in here but you don't find many small block results around.  I'll share what I'm doing right now.

318 block bored 30 over
Sealed power pistons
340 resto cam (comp cam) with matching springs
Hyd lifters
Cast 302 heads with 1.88/1.60 valves and home port job (I have about $600 into these so you might as well go with a set of eddys)
Hedman Headers w/ 2.5 inch flowmasters and h-pipe
Air gap intake
And here's where I got sloppy, 750cfm eddy carb (will give it a try then will most likely trade for a 600-650) and I threw on a four hole 1 inch hv spacer (which probably won't do much)

I also am trying to keep it cheap and just want a nice little 318 with more grunt than the 350 Camaro across the street.

Here is a pic and some HP/tq numbers I'm hoping to see.  Good luck, and post some more pics of that '69.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

B5charger

welcome NRT69.  I have a 318 as well and am very interested in what you're gonna do with it.  Please keep us up to date with the progress.

nrt69

still having problems uploading these pics....

nrt69

its been a while since ive collected Charger parts catalogs...can anyone give me contact info for some companies reproducing Charger parts these days?

nrt69

what problems will i run into if i drop in a 360 into my Charger, instead of rebuilding my 318?
i hear a 360 wont work with my 904 without modifications?

Troy

I don't think 300 HP is very difficult for either the 318 or 360. You can duplicate the 360 crate engines with over-the-counter parts. I think the standard crate was rated at 380 hp. You'll need a flex plate that's weighted for the 360 but it will bolt up to your 904. If you've got lots of power you may want a small block 727 instead but plenty of racers are running 904s. The 360 has a unique oil pan and motor mounts (although some people use the 318 mounts with a spacer since the 340/360 is skinnier). I personally like the newer Magnum engines since the stock heads are way better. They don't quite look stock but they are cheap, already have roller cams, fit anywhere the older 318/340/360 will, and don't have 40 years worth of stress and abuse.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

nrt69

thanks.
what about a stall converter? My neighbor said he ran into problems with his 360/904 combo and had to run a high stall converter.

Rayzor

I just did a 360 build for another member on this board. He had a 318, but for a easy running 300 horse motor the 360 gets it done better. It was a mid 70's block but I installed the later style magnum heads on it. Great heads that work well enough if you can find a set without cracks. We went threw 3 seperate cores. His 72 is also using a 904. The trans if healthy will take a 360 just fine, but you will need a new flexplate. I like the 318 for a stock driver but if your looking to burn some rubber the 360 is a nearly bolt in great mill.

nrt69

I found a 360 "crate motor" (minus the intake and oil pan) they advertise anywhere from 360 to 400HP. They also build 318 "crate motors" with 310HP. 360 specs are beow...

360 Dodge non-magnum : 360 hp to 400 hp with 375 ft lbs torque
      Block bored, honed, decked and align honed
       Performance cam bearings
       Performance camshaft: (specs may change)
        222/232 @ .050
        .501 lift
        114 lobe center
       Matching  lifters and springs
       Resized rods with ARP rod bolts
      Reground 3.578 " stroke
       Crankshaft micro-polished less than a 12 RA finish
       Performance pistons with Molly rings
        10 to 1 compression ratio

Matched weight  balanced rotating assembly with balancer

New  timing set

New high volume oil pump