News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing Paint from Dash Bezels.

Started by tsmithae, December 23, 2010, 05:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsmithae

What would you recommend to remove paint from the plastic dash components for my 70?  Some previous owner decided to take a rattle can to EVERYTHING inside my and now it is all chipping and I am looking to remove it all. I have been making very slow work using nail polish remover and I am getting to the larger parts and parts with more corner and hard-to-reach areas.  Should I soda blast?  Should I use bumper stripper?  Has anyone restored their dash themselves and have some experience to lend me?

Thanks!
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

twodko

Other members have mentioned the best safest way to strip plastic parts is to soda blast them. Run a search here on "cleaning plastic parts" or "soda blasting plastic parts". Good luck.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

UFO

Easy off oven cleaner works to strip paint off plastic.
Will take the chrome off as well,and your skin, probably a few other nasty things.
If you want to save the chrome,I can only think off using a paint thinner with a old toothbrush.
Use caution if you use the oven cleaner method.