News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

why dont you like the new chargers?

Started by Mrs.Caveman, December 17, 2010, 05:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrs.Caveman

I'm sure its been discused before!
i personally like them and would have it over any new car!would be cool to have a '69 and a new one!is it the name the number of doors the lack of resemblance to the old ones or what?

Ghoste

The number of doors, the styling, the patronizing way Chrysler treated people when they didn't fall all over themselves to praise it.

mikesbbody

I'm in the minority here I like them, but prefer the new Challengers.

Mrs.Caveman

who did Chrysler treated people?i think the front looks mean and therfore cool!yeah,the doors are a bit much but i guess they are after a different buyer market!you could put your kids in your shopping and still would look cool!
the styling way better the the other big names like pontiac gto,firebird etc!the newer ones look nothing like the cars from the '60s snd'70s

so what name would you give it to the new one?

lisiecki1

Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Ghoste

Same here.  It should have continued with the same name as the four door mid size family car it was replacing, Intrepid.

Mrs.Caveman

had a look at that intrepid!one hell of an ugly car :eek2:
has anyone made a drawing how it should look?if yes,any links to that on here?

irish_in_ny

I would have called the new Charger a Coronet or Monaco if it had to be a classic name. The front of the new ones look mean like the '70 Coronet but still no where near the same.

Brock Samson

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,58722.0.html

Edited..

The car was due to be called the "Enforcer" Coronet and Intrepid were also on the short list, but the dealers wrote in overwhelmingly "CHARGER" at the Dealer's Assoc. Meeting when they were shown the Sneak Peak of the LX product line-up. "Intrepid" wouldn't have worked as well (or at all) cause the LX platform shared nothing with the LH platform that preceded it.. being rear wheel drive and having a V-8 Option. It's a relevant fact that the Charger/and Magnum were developed with Police/Law Enforcement fleet sales as a design goal, too thirsty for use in TAXI fleets now - although I suspect that was also a sales target at the time.
  By the way Dodge went out of their way to try to distance themselves from the Charger Fans hoping for a Retro styled Two Door at the time the four door was released,.. I think they made Bull pretty angry as any of his posts on the subject can and will attest. We all wanted a two door, I don't know anyone (Here) who said they were glad it was a Four Door.

If you'r really interested, search term "Enforcer" there are two pages of threads on what it "should have been" named. The original Charger was a Personal Luxury Muscle Car, (read Two door Hardtop) larger than a "Pony" car but smaller than a Full Sized Two Door Hardtop. Dodge was always about giving more for less compared to the other makes.
The new ones are four door Sedans & the New Chally doesn't even fit the Personal Luxo. profile. though I bet it could  there's got to be a market, look how many 1974 Charger SEs were sold and the Charger couldn't be called High Performance by '74.

EDIT: I did a few drawings of what I hoped it would look like a few months before they were finally shown to the public...
others did drawings too,.. go search "Enforcer", that will keep you busy intill spring...  :lol:

Ghoste

I don't know what sharing nothing with the platform has to do with it?  The car they released had nothing to do with previous Chargers and that was somehow okay.

tan top

nice car !! but should never of called it a charger  :Twocents:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mrs.Caveman

i think i should have been called Enforcer!but being called charger guess made more sales!guess people tend to like cars better with a good sounding names!I'm just guessing! :scratchchin: i dint think coronet would be a good name or Monaco!something mean like brute or devil for the srt,rt and for the stander one like enforcer!
how come dodge called all charger chargers?OK its sound stupid!i meant like the basic with 318 was a charger and a rt and hemi was a charger as well!Pontiac called different size of engine different names!am i wrong?

Cooter

Too many doors, Too much Pricetag, Looks too much like a jacked up Intrepid no matter which "Platform" it uses, Too heavy, and the list goes on and on...There was a concept posted here using the Charger as a base and it looked GOOD even at Four doors... But the Local "Starbucks" croud determines Chrysler's Selling power, not an old skool, Musclecar lovin', mechanic like me...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Silver R/T

They simply stuck a LEGENDARY car name on a 4 door family sedan and want people to think it is a Charger. What makes it a Charger? There's nothing similar about it whatsoever. Not even nameplate scripting is same. There are better 4 door sedans out there imo
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

68X426

Positive note: I'll drive it before any Chevy or Ford. :lol:

Negative note: I think it only looks good when it is a cop car, and with a Hemi. And that's not a good thing.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Brass

Some are sick of the cross-hair grill too.  Here is a rendering of a new Charger concept by one of our members.

lisiecki1

Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Brock Samson

Quote from: Mrs.Caveman on December 17, 2010, 06:30:00 PM
i think i should have been called Enforcer!but being called charger guess made more sales!guess people tend to like cars better with a good sounding names!I'm just guessing! :scratchchin: i dint think coronet would be a good name or Monaco! something mean like brute or devil for the srt,rt and for the stander one like enforcer!
how come dodge called all charger chargers?OK its sound stupid!i meant like the basic with 318 was a charger and a rt and hemi was a charger as well!Pontiac called different size of engine different names!am i wrong?

It was the Charger Bodystyle TWO DOOR ONLY,.. While Pontiac had the Lemans two door and Tempest two and four door and Ford the Torino and Fairlane in both two and four doors, Dodge had a different four door Coronet Body style but you could still anyone of Six different engines in a charger fro the Slant Six, to the 426 HEMI,.. two 383s, two 440s. So if you said Charger you knew it was a TWO Door hardtop,.. not so for the others while also had pillered two doors and hardtops. So the Charger was Special and It's Vin Tags showed that with the S for Premium bodystyle.
Monico might have worked for the new Four Door as Magnum might have worked for both the Dodge LXs as well.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

When buying a new 4-door, I thought about a new Charger however, given my choice between these tho cars, I chose the Ford. Much tougher looking!  :2thumbs:

Brock Samson

Mrs.Caveman

the ford is tougher looking?nooo way!i think the grill is awsome on the charger!the ford is just boring!to each his own,i guess!i would say that ford is an unmarked policecar :hah:

nvrbdn

the concept car was nothing like the finish model. they teased people and made another lookalike with a few differences. when you look at the back it can be any other car on the road. where is the coke bottle? where is the distinctive tail lights? be it 68 or 69 -70. the grill sucks. the headlights look like they came from a full size chevy truck. its a four door.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

TruckDriver

The 4 doors mainly. But I also agree with Ghost on this.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Mrs.Caveman

Quote from: Brass on December 17, 2010, 06:50:29 PM
Some are sick of the cross-hair grill too.  Here is a rendering of a new Charger concept by one of our members.

it looks like the chally,no?can someone put this picture and the new chalanger next to each other to compare,please?

Mrs.Caveman