News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question? is the vin # really stamped on the engine?

Started by charger lover74, December 23, 2010, 02:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger lover74

can anybody tell me if the vin number is really stamped on the engine and if so where? some people have told me that not all engines have the vin number stamped on them , that a small portion of your vin is on it. I have a 1969 charger with 318 and i can't seem to find my entire vin number let alone a portion of it. the only thing i found that corresponds to my vin is the number 318-14 which would make it my 318 engine and the 14 is the last 2 digits of my vin. i found other number but nothing to corresponds to my vin. i also have an a/c with all it's serial numbers to it.What about even the tranny? is there any number that would correspond with my vin on there to?

bakerhillpins

We need to know the year of the car in question. I make an assumption that you are referring to a 74 charger?

Before 68 there are no VIN numbers on the Blocks/Trans.

In 68 I believe only 383s and larger engines got VIN stamps. Top of where bell meets the block.

And I believe from 69 on they are there but in a variety of locations. Not sure where on a 74.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

John_Kunkel

'69 and later V8 blocks will be stamped on a machined flat just above the pan gasket on the passenger side. Some '69 had the full VIN while later years had a partial VIN with only the last 8 characters used.

The raised 318-14 on the side of thew block is just the end of the basic block casting number and mold revision number, all numbers pertaining to that particular engine are stamped.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

vancamp

my 69 440  has the full vin stamped on the passenger side right above the oil pan flange, ther will be a machined flat pad if its a 69 or later engine.