News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering Colunm Paint

Started by troutstreamnm, December 17, 2010, 05:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutstreamnm

What is the proper color for a 70 Charger steering colunm?  Is it a flat black or a semi-gloss black? Thanks. :cheers:
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

greasyspider

'71 Plum Crazy  R/T

maxwellwedge

Quote from: troutstreamnm on December 17, 2010, 05:02:33 PM
What is the proper color for a 70 Charger steering colunm?  Is it a flat black or a semi-gloss black? Thanks. :cheers:

Original was a "suede" lacquer - EPA crushed it out of existence. A good paint man can match it and blow it on to get close to the original texture.....If you are going to rattle can it there are probably paints out there to use like Mopaints or someone similar.

troutstreamnm

QuoteOriginal was a "suede" lacquer
Wow...that's a new one to me  :shruggy:  I don't need to be factory correct and just plan to rattle can it to clean it up.  I see both flat black and semi-gloss colunms out there so what would be closest to the original lacquer?  Thanks
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

ODZKing

Orange Bird

Go to Totally Auto. They sell an interior satin paint that looks correct. Go to the Services/Business (Column Restoration Thread) section of this forum and you will see the black on a column I restored.
Monster Garage Montra - If you can't hear it before you see it, what's the point?

Leave the little people alone!

1969chargerrtse

I did mine with the swede black.  It was about 80.00 for the pint.  It's the same stuff used on the dash areas.  I bought it from a place that used to be called MOPAINTS.  I did my rear panel with it also.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

troutstreamnm

That tail panel looks great  :2thumbs:  I'd like to go with the "suede" but don't have the time or money for that paint.  I need to get this done this weekend so from the pics that looks like a satin black rattle can paint would be in the hood.  Thanks a bunch for the help.  :yesnod:
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on December 18, 2010, 07:35:46 AM
I did mine with the swede black.  It was about 80.00 for the pint.  It's the same stuff used on the dash areas.  I bought it from a place that used to be called MOPAINTS.  I did my rear panel with it also.

You went with the Swedish stuff? Yaaah     :icon_smile_big:

1969chargerrtse

I did the job in about an hour.  I took the bumper and trim off, wet sanded the rear panel ( 10 min ), dumped the paint in a borrowed spray gun fired up my 3 gallon compressor and shot it. One fast fix up.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.