News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need Opinions of Price on this car

Started by bad88t-top, December 15, 2010, 09:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bad88t-top

OK,  So I'm looking into purchasing this 1970 RT SE, #'s matching 440 auto with air.  Originally a Go Mango exterior, charcoal interior with black leather buckets, WHite vinyl top, White longitudal stripe, with black hood accent paint.   Now has black top and black bumble bee stripe.   Let me know your opinions.  He told me it's all original sheet metal but I'm thinking it had a trunk floor installed at one time based on some of the pictures I received.   I also noticed it has 69 rear side markers and also a 69 RT tail panel emblem.   Let meknow if you see anything else that doesn't look right or original.   Thanks    Bill    OH yea,   He told me he paid $40K 4 years ago and has invested another $7K in rebuilding the motor and other OEM parts.    He said $40K takes it.   What's your opinion on the price?  I know the Charger gods hang out here so I'm open to all opinions.   I love that color, way more attractive than TX9.  lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Charger-Charger-1970-Dodge-Charger-RT-SE-440-A-C-/190479208856?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2c59721198
TX9 70 Charger RT: 6 pack, 4 speed, A33 Saddle interior, red stripe
EB7 70 Charger RT SE: PS, PB, PW, PSunroof, Defogger, Air, loaded
FC7 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, white longitudinal, black vinyl
EB5 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, B5 interior, white long stripe
EB5 70 Charger RT SE: V code 4speed A34, charcoal interior, loaded
F8 69 Charger: Power Sunroof Car
13 Duramax 2500HD: Tow Rig
17 Durango RT

472 R/T SE

Looks like the two piece trunk pan, also the drain hole on the pass. side looks to have never been opened up.  Also looks like the pass. side quarter has been replaced.  I don't see the telltale signs of the undercoating.

For $40k I would think the instrument cluster & woodgrain, heater/A/C controls would be at least fresh.  Even 4 years ago I think he overpaid.  To me $32-35k.

If you're willing to spend $40k for that car you should be checking out the thread for the '70 Hemi Charger all #'s for $49k.  It's a EV2 car.

Blakcharger440

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on December 15, 2010, 09:25:07 PM
Looks like the two piece trunk pan, also the drain hole on the pass. side looks to have never been opened up.  Also looks like the pass. side quarter has been replaced.  I don't see the telltale signs of the undercoating.

For $40k I would think the instrument cluster & woodgrain, heater/A/C controls would be at least fresh.  Even 4 years ago I think he overpaid.  To me $32-35k.

If you're willing to spend $40k for that car you should be checking out the thread for the '70 Hemi Charger all #'s for $49k.  It's a EV2 car.

I think the car is VERY nice but I also noticed the lack of undercoating on the passenger side. Another thing i noticed but am not really sure if  is correct is that that the wheel well molding is not covering alot of the inner quarter lip...again not sure if that is correct or not but it looks a little wide in that area (toward the rear) like the panel was stamped and alot more lip was left on than needed to be.  :shruggy:

Back N Black

If i was paying 40K for a muscle car it should be flawless. It should not have faded gauge cluster, I bet if the cluster was not restored it still has 40 year old wiring. If your not worried about numbers you could pick up a nice clone for half the price.

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on December 15, 2010, 09:37:13 PM
Quote from: 472 R/T SE on December 15, 2010, 09:25:07 PM
Looks like the two piece trunk pan, also the drain hole on the pass. side looks to have never been opened up.  Also looks like the pass. side quarter has been replaced.  I don't see the telltale signs of the undercoating.

For $40k I would think the instrument cluster & woodgrain, heater/A/C controls would be at least fresh.  Even 4 years ago I think he overpaid.  To me $32-35k.

If you're willing to spend $40k for that car you should be checking out the thread for the '70 Hemi Charger all #'s for $49k.  It's a EV2 car.

I think the car is VERY nice but I also noticed the lack of undercoating on the passenger side. Another thing i noticed but am not really sure if  is correct is that that the wheel well molding is not covering alot of the inner quarter lip...again not sure if that is correct or not but it looks a little wide in that area (toward the rear) like the panel was stamped and alot more lip was left on than needed to be.  :shruggy:

Yeah, then there's that.  I noticed it too.  My first Mopar, a '68 Coronet R/T was like that.  They were super wide the full diameter of the wheelwell.  

After owning it for over a decade I finally got to looking at it since I wanted to restore it.  They had taken quarters & stacked them over the top of the rusty ones.  

If you look at this car the widths' aren't consistent, wide in one area on one side & not the other.  With the trunk, both quarters being replaced I'd be concerned that the frame rails were bad too?

Looking at the trunk pic again, it looks like the driver side was original & they just replaced the pass. half.  The plugs aren't drilled out with reproduction pans as evidenced by the 2 pass. side plugs' not drilled out & the seam down the middle.

nvrbdn

the trunk looks to me like they painted over the rust :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

bill440rt

Hey, Bill!

My  :Twocents: , only because I've seen your car & know the quality of the work you do & what you would expect. To me, for $40K I'd like to see either a more detailed resto or one that was done neater.
A few things I notice just in pictures alone:

'69 quarters: Both appear to have been replaced with skins, this is apparant by the tell-tale wide wheel opening lips. Also, I see some poor fitment at the R/S valence corner & D/S bumper corner. The P/S especially has a poor door jamb gap (rolled). 
Trunk floor: Yes, it appears the P/S half has been replaced. The D/S is pitted, and the P/S half does not have the drain plug cut out. Also, overspray abounds everywhere & painted latches, wrong colors, etc.
Engine compartment: Overspray on many firewall plugs, incorrect ballast & voltage regulator, missing heat stove, incorrect battery & cables, incorrect black out & finishes forward of the rad support, painted over shock hardware, etc.

Other things such as the grille is painted incorrectly, painted over door jamb latches, hardware, etc. Just leads me to believe it was given a "quickie".
Not trying to pick the car apart, especially if the owner is a member here. Overall it still looks like a decent car. But, IMHO to get the high standard I know you can accomplish I'd think you'd be sinking another wad of cash into this one. And for that I think the asking price might be a little steep.
Good luck!  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

Hi Bill :cheers:

I gotta agree with the above Bill, along with the wrong brake booster?  :iagree:

For 40k, I at least want the correct washer bottle & a resto battery!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bad88t-top

Thanks for all the great information guys.   I spoke to the Owner, his name is Stan and he lives in Stanford N.C.   Great guy but he wasn't a car nut, he owned a Corvette as well (Oh well).  Anyhow, He knew very little about the car and wasn't mechanically inclined at all.  There's no doubt I can make something special out of it but at what costs?   I'd def want to make it as correct as possible but I just have a soft spot for Orange 70 Charger's.   Possibly I'll just build one for the $.  Thanks again everyone
TX9 70 Charger RT: 6 pack, 4 speed, A33 Saddle interior, red stripe
EB7 70 Charger RT SE: PS, PB, PW, PSunroof, Defogger, Air, loaded
FC7 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, white longitudinal, black vinyl
EB5 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, B5 interior, white long stripe
EB5 70 Charger RT SE: V code 4speed A34, charcoal interior, loaded
F8 69 Charger: Power Sunroof Car
13 Duramax 2500HD: Tow Rig
17 Durango RT

richRTSE

Quote'69 quarters: Both appear to have been replaced with skins...

Good eye!  :scope: I didn't catch that the first time I looked. You would think if you're going through the trouble of replacing quarters, at least use the right year.  :shruggy: A good looking car, but I don't see it fetching very close to $40k.
:Twocents:

This one seems like a better deal to me, even with the front end damage...

http://www.cars-on-line.com/47367.html

472 R/T SE

Quote from: richRTSE on December 16, 2010, 07:41:38 PM

Good eye!  :scope: I didn't catch that the first time I looked. You would think if you're going through the trouble of replacing quarters, at least use the right year.  :shruggy:

I thought the skins, even old ones, were '68-'70 & you personalized the marker lights for said year.

Is it only '69 replacement skins that had wide lips'?

I'm prolly wrong but '69 Chargers' don't have the wide lip from the factory & this is another case of less than perfect reproduction pieces?  So what do '68 & '70 skins have that make the '69 so noticeable so that an astute body person can tell the difference?

BIGBLCK11

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on December 16, 2010, 10:35:17 PM

Good eye!  :scope: I didn't catch that the first time I looked. You would think if you're going through the trouble of replacing quarters, at least use the right year.  :shruggy:

I thought the skins, even old ones, were '68-'70 & you personalized the marker lights for said year.

I'm prolly wrong but '69 Chargers' don't have the wide lip from the factory & this is another case of less than perfect reproduction pieces?  So what do '68 & '70 skins have that make the '69 so noticeable so that an astute body person can tell the difference?

Not to answer for anyone, but I believe they are saying the lip is not wider, but that the skin is not fitted tightly enough or due to overlapping the original quarter.  So, the original lip is still visible inside of the new lip.  It is either welded and ground down or visible under the molding.  :Twocents:

charger Downunder

If they do the little things wrong what would the rest be like what a shame it wasn't finished of neater and correct. The  se door trims look shocking with out the Charger script badge. Looks like the wrong trunk lid.
[/quote]

bill440rt

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on December 16, 2010, 10:35:17 PM

The higher quality skins have the correct openings for the side markers for each different year. This car just happens to have the wrong year 1/4 skins on it.
All skins that I have seen, even for other cars (Coronet, Cuda, RR, Challenger, etc) have wheel opening return lips that are too wide (the ones that mate against the wheelhouse). They need to be trimmed narrower, just a smidge wider than the wheel opening molding. A telltale sign that a 1/4 has been replaced when looking at the outside of the vehicle only is the wide-azz wheel opening lip that the installer did not bother to trim or did not have the knowledge to know better of what is correct. The door jamb gap is another area. The fit is terrible against the door & if not put on correctly to retain the original door opening the gap will be off.
10 minutes with an airsaw would take care of this, but there is a bigger problem since the quarters are the wrong year in the first place.
Bottom line of the consensus here is that the asking price is too steep considering the quality of the resto.

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on December 16, 2010, 06:35:19 AM
Hi Bill :cheers:

I gotta agree with the above Bill, along with the wrong brake booster?  :iagree:

For 40k, I at least want the correct washer bottle & a resto battery!

Chris, I noticed the booster too. But, is that a PB drum booster instead of disc? If the car has discs then the booster is totally incorrect.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bakerhillpins

This one seems like a better deal to me, even with the front end damage...

http://www.cars-on-line.com/47367.html

That's hemi-hampton's car, he is a member here and it's apparently a survivor car. It is no longer listed in the for sale section but you could get in touch with him via his profile:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2347

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.